Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • England vs France – call it off or play…?
  • mrlebowski
    Free Member

Just curious.

Simple Y or No answer will do.

I say no, they should play.

somouk
    Free Member

They should play, see no reason to call it off.

MSP

IMO it is too soon to be making rash decisions and displays of bravado, it is just a football match it can be played again at a later date.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Play, it’s just a football match afterall.

ads678

Play it, IF the players are happy to play.

globalti
    Free Member

There’s a serious principle here; nobody should allow terrorism to change their plans.

binners

Anything to spare the nation another woefuly tedious, spirit-crushingly dull, tactically clueless performance by Woy’s Boys would be a small mercy for all involved. But then giving us an absolute shoe-ing, which they inevitably will, should cheer the French up a bit, so why not?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Play.

dragon
    Free Member

Play, can’t really see what it has to do with the terrorist attacks, and its at Wembley after all.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Bloody PLAY it

And have 80,000 Englishmen belt out La Marseillaise as loud as possible at the start.

followed by 5 mins of

allez les bleus

allez les bleus

Then we can go back to not liking them very much

MSP

There’s a serious principle here; nobody should allow terrorism to change their plans.

How many lives is that principle worth if the crowd is attacked? The investigation is still ongoing, there could still be other attacks planned, lets see what can be found out first. It isn’t giving in to take measured decisions and to avoid high risk scenarios following a weekend such as we have just had, it is doing the right thing.

wingnuts

I’m not a footballist and agree it will be as boring as… but play it or we are giving into intimidation and unnecessary scaremongering. Sympathy to all the victims of atrocity everywhere, but we have to get on with live so we have something positive to celebrate and look forward to.

jimster01

Play

soobalias
    Free Member

soon as they score the second goal

mrlebowski
    Free Member

How many lives is that principle worth if the crowd is attacked? The investigation is still ongoing, there could still be other attacks planned, lets see what can be found out first. It isn’t giving in to take measured decisions and to avoid high risk scenarios following a weekend such as we have just had, it is doing the right thing.

Thing is though, if they are planning an attack then if they don’t attack what will obviously be a well defended target where then might they go? Do you “offer’ them the chance of a spectacular with the possibility that your security measures will succeed & ergo catch them…..or do you let them wander off into the streets of London for softer & easier targets? If they have an attack planned then they are just as likely to go for a softer target if the primary isn’t available.

It’s a really hard call to make & I’m glad I’m not the one who has to make it.

IMHO it’s not as easy as to whether we should be intimidated or not..

On principle I say play as we shouldnt be intimidated.

(Not a fan BTW!)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ro5ey – Member
    Bloody PLAY it

And have 80,000 Englishmen belt out La Marseillaise as loud as possible at the start.

followed by 5 mins of

allez les bleus

allez les bleus

*sniggers

ninfan
    Free Member

Most of them don’t even know the words to our own bloody national anthem…

soobalias
    Free Member

it goes, dum der dum dum dum dum duuuuum dur dum

but if you dont know it the FA will put the words on the screen.
    IMO – if they use my words ^ they will get everyone singing, if they put it up in french there will be as much head scratching as dur dur dumming.

SaxonRider

Game on!

Most of them don’t even know the words to our own bloody national anthem…

Maybe not, but I heard ‘Jerusalem’ sung at Old Trafford once, and it damn near moved me to tears. 😳

spawnofyorkshire

On a slight tangent; there should be a proper minutes silence before the match. Not a minutes applause.
    It infuriates me that football has had to adopt this because there are f***wits who are incapable of keeping quiet during them and shout out abuse

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Play

Let’s also see some of the people who support the French by changing their FB profile picture do something more concrete which actually costs money and helps the French – like visiting Paris. 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Play da game.

allthepies
    Free Member

Not even given that the Stade de France, where the French national team were playing, was target on Friday ?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Play

dragon
    Free Member

was a failed target on Friday

This match is at Wembley not in Paris. This is probably the safest time to hold it, as the security will be much tighter than normal. Playing sends out a bigger message than anything else, and London carried on after 7/7.

I take it you going to cancel all football matches from now on?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Aux armes, citoyens…
    To arms, citizens…

Quoi ! des cohortes étrangères
    What! Foreign cohorts

Feraient la loi dans nos foyers!
    Would make the law in our homes!

Quoi ! Ces phalanges mercenaires
    What! These mercenary phalanxes

fasthaggis

Play

and

it goes, dum der dum dum dum dum duuuuum dur dum

That’s the Archers 🙄 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

I’m for it going ahead.

I was surprised why you didn’t see a link between the two events, that’s all.

marcus7
    Free Member

Play, The world still turns and will continue to do so…. this can happen at any time anywhere (I was in warrington the day before it was bombed so IMO nothing is safe in that respect). If people are motivated then they will find a target be it a football match or a town centre…

dragon
    Free Member

The only link is that a lot of people were in one place at one time. If you notice a concert was also targeted.

scuttler

play

ransos
    Free Member

The French want to play the game, so we play.

mike_p
    Free Member

Play. Defiance is the only appropriate response, anything else is a victory for the nutters.

I won’t be singing La Marseillaise, but as a mark of respect I shan’t be singing the rude version either (for once).

On a related note, all these spineless musicians who are cancelling gigs need to stop tweeting self-important guff, pick up their instruments and get on with the show. It matters.

Northwind

ransos – Member

The French want to play the game, so we play.

Sounds like a winner. Doesn’t matter what we want. Specific security risks aside anyway but even then, if it’s a target then so is every other gathering.

MSP

On a related note, all these spineless musicians who are cancelling gigs need to stop tweeting self-important guff, pick up their instruments and get on with the show. It matters.

Yeah, shouty reactionary bravado, that’s what is needed, **** allowing the security services time to analyse the events of the past few days, lets start labelling people cowards, its what the English disco lovers would want.

mike_p
    Free Member

Yes you’re right, we should just stop the Earth from turning until you decide it’s okay to continue

digga
    Free Member

Ro5ey – Member

Bloody PLAY it

And have 80,000 Englishmen belt out La Marseillaise as loud as possible at the start…

I’d agree and if the match does go ahead, i very much hope the English fans do join in with the French anthem.

It’s a great shame anything has been cancelled – this disruption of Western culture is a win for the terrorists – but I can also sympathise with artists not feeling it right, proper or safe to perform.

shifter
    Free Member

Play of course.

I imagine there’ll be some interesting singing all round.

Kryton57

Yeah, shouty reactionary bravado, that’s what is needed, **** allowing the security services time to analyse the events of the past few days, lets start labelling people cowards, its what the English disco lovers would want.

I find myself in agreement with MSP here. Unless the security forces know more than they are letting on, thier duty is to protect us.

Talking of which the police will be armed with machine guns at Wembley tomorrow. Doesn’t inspire much confidence does it?

I’m more inclined to want to keep my family safe and at the risk of sounding paranoid, so I really want to take them to Winter Wonderland next week?

*locks door*

jambalaya
    Free Member

Play. No about about it on the basis the security services are confident they can protect the venue.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘England vs France – call it off or play…?’ is closed to new replies.