• This topic has 122 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by igm.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 123 total)
  • England Bashing
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

indeed it does sum up the attitude of the english and explain why they are disliked well spotted.

adstick
    Free Member

'english' isn't a race…

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I remember when I was working during the 2002 world cup, the guy from cwmbran came in with a mexican hat one day, a yin-yan headband when we were playing S Korea etc. etc., ….very funny 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ooOOoo
    Free Member

indeed it does sum up the attitude of the english and explain why they are disliked well spotted.

Don't you mean attitude of the British? 😆

speaker2animals

It's funny the police worrying about this but both Facebook and our own Government don't see any problem with a Facebook group anti-cycling campaign that includes posts stating that people should deliberately hurt cyclists and some that even state that they will do so. But apparently this is freedom of speech. Unless of course it's from a group of muslims protesting then it's fine.

backhander
    Free Member

That sums up why the majority of the rest of the world hate the English.(and they do!)

Most countries see british = english
    So that **** that idea

duckman

Glad to have been of help Junkyard.

epicsteve
    Free Member

There's a lot to admire about the England team, they do seem to play as a greater-than-the-sum-of-their parts type squad

Not sure I agree, althought it might be different now that there is a good manager in place. For years now I've thought England had one of the strongest international squads in the world, but have tended to underperform in major tournaments.

The main issue at the moment is a shortage of quality strikers – Rooney is a fabulous player, but if he's out he's not going to be replaced easily.

hilldodger
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    WTFAS?

Who The F Are Scotland 😉

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

That article comes as no surprise really. Gives the bitter and casual racist football fans north of the border something to do during the world cup i suppose…. 😉

I suspect if this was other way round, ie 'Anything but Scotland or Wales', a LOT more would be said…..

After all, it is almost accepted that having a go at the English is fine, but when the boot is on the other foot….. 😕

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Am I missing the point entirely, or is the slogan on the t-shirt taking the p**s out of a football team, rather than criticising a 'race' of people?
    FFS, there's bigger things happening in the world to get wound up about, or as I previously asked, am I missing the point?

westkipper
    Free Member

Aye, just for information, Pretty much every pasty-coloured person across the countries of the British Isles is fairly indistinguishable from one another. Whether Scottish or English or Welsh, we're all the descendents of a late wave of Anglo-Germanic people. (the only true relic of an ancient Celtic population of BRITONS, is to be found in central Ireland, with a few in the Hebrides)
    so this is CULTURAL bigotry, not racist!
    …so thats OK then 🙂

tankslapper
    Free Member

Just football banter, pretty pathetic action by Grampian Police IMO

(still, great publicity for the shop!)

If it gets down to it all football is about rivalry, are we seriously going to arrest all of Ipswich town's supporters for gems such as this

'Your sister is your mother,
    Your father is your brother,
    You all shag one another,
    The Norwich Family…'

landy813
    Free Member

Its all just friendly banter between two great nations.

molgrips
    Free Member

I suspect if this was other way round, ie 'Anything but Scotland or Wales', a LOT more would be said…..

Mate, you should be in my office every 6 nations. I can assure you the English give every bit as good as they get, usually more.

(the only true relic of an ancient Celtic population of BRITONS, is to be found in central Ireland, with a few in the Hebrides

IIRC, when they did the Y chromosome study they found that Southern England was Anglo-Saxon, the rest of England was Danish Viking along with most of Scotland.. parts of Highland Scotland and the Isles were Norse Vikings along with parts of Ireland and Wales and most of Ireland was British/Celtic.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Mate, you should be in my office every 6 nations. I can assure you the English give every bit as good as they get, usually more.

In your office….right, that must be case for ALL English sporting fans then 😉

I dont think you will find hoards of English footy fans packing the pubs supporting whoever is playing Scotchland and wearing their shirts….ring any bells?
    But i suppose English fans havent got so much to be bitter and jealous about and the slight problem that Scotchland dont tend to qualify for the tournament stages often either……. 😉

igm

As a Scot, living in the south (Yorkshire since you ask), which of course has been a Scots colony since 1603, married to an English lass, with a son born in York, I think this demonstrates one of the great things about British (Scottish, English and the other places that is) culture – the right, nay obligation, to take the piss about anything and everything, any time, anyplace, anywhere. Anyone who regards that as racist (whether the English are a race or not) needs to see their doctor for a prescription of sense of humour.

Long may it continue.

scaredypants

Jimmy Hill; He's a (offensive word removed)

c'mon mate – there's no WAY JH is a scot !

myheadsashed

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article5512401.ece

Aberdeen doesnt have the best record though. 😯

igm

that Scotchland dont tend to qualify for the tournament stages often either

[pedant mode] I think you will find that up until 1990 Scotland had the best qualifying record (getting to the finals) of all having made it through the qualifying rounds 5 times in a row [/pedant mode]

Of course the only reason we had to go through the qualifying round so often was beacuse we never hosted of won it, but I like to think we're still the best qualifiers*.

*I am of course deluded

DA_DOOD–lulz
    Free Member

I'm completely ambivalent to the sweaties, couldn't care less about them. Our footballing rivals are the Argies, now they're a foe worthy of emnity.

juan
    Free Member

What is the point exaclty of that? Oh yes nowt it's just wendy ball… What else do you expect. Now give me a sport with real history and values, not some sort of garbage just so people can make money.

kennyp
    Free Member

an then I think back to EVERY F***IN' football event since 1966 and the triumphalist bollox of the media

If we (ie Scotland) had ever won it then we'd bang on about it as well. Harmless sporting rivalry. England has the better football team, we've got the nicest mountain bike trails. I know which I prefer!

westkipper
    Free Member

I dont agree, Kennyp, the thing that we hate isn't even the natural pride of the average English footiefan, its the media, the sports press, their sense of entitlement, that somehow England, the only team that matters, has been cheated out of their rightful winning place in every World cup since.

kennyp
    Free Member

You've got a point about some of the more rabid English tabloid press, but if you actually listen closely to, say, the BBC covering England games, they don't in reality mention 1966 all that much, and they tend to be fairly realistic about England's chances.

Most football, and indeed sports, fans tend be view their own team quite favourably and believe they are hard done by.

And while some of the English media can be a bit cocky at times, equally the Scottish media tend to take offence at the slightest bit of what they imagine to be anti-Scottish bias, while being happy to dish out a lot of anti-English bias.

Luckily the majority of fans of both countries see it for what it is, just harmless fun.

Oh, and for those of you moaning about Andy Murray, try listening to what he actually says and not what he's making jokes about.

Northwind

"If we (ie Scotland) had ever won it then we'd bang on about it as well"

It's lucky we'll never have to put that to the test really… we're enormously accomplished losers, I don't know how we'd adapt to victory.

grumm
    Free Member

kennyp what do you think you are doing bringing sensible rational comment into a Scotland/England thread? 🙂

Mikey65
    Free Member

It's a pit that all the Jocks living South of the border and their expat government in Brown, Darling and plethera of hangers on, also half of the BBC from Jockland don't want to live Anywhere But England

tankslapper
    Free Member

OoooooOOOooooh! Get you!

kennyp
    Free Member

I don't know how we'd adapt to victory.

Same way we adapt to defeat………..strong drink and Irn-Bru the next morning. Actually, that goes for draws as well.

coogan
    Free Member

The way I see it is England like to hype themselves up and then make an arse of it at the tournament. When Scotland used to get to (I like to hope one day we will again) a tournament, we knew we were shite so just got pissed and had a laugh. 😀

Plus, we won something not so long ago…

…but do we bang on about it? I don't think so! Mainly cos none of can remember what it was…

kennyp
    Free Member

kennyp what do you think you are doing bringing sensible rational comment into a Scotland/England thread?

I know, I've just re-read my post and I'm ashamed. To make up for it, I'll recount a true story from the 1996 Euros, overheard in a pub in London just before the England – Scotland game:-

English Bloke: Why do you Jocks hate us so much?

Scottish Bloke: Did you see the opening ceremony?

English Bloke: Yeah.

Scottish bloke: Did you see the bit with St George and the dragon?

English Bloke: Yeah.

Scottish Bloke: Well most of Scotland was supporting the dragon!

kennyp
    Free Member

The way I see it is England like to hype themselves up and then make an arse of it at the tournament

Err, does the name Ally McLeod ring any bells? 🙂

coogan
    Free Member

Yeah, he took us to a World Cup on a high! That quickly decended into a very low low. How'd your lot do that year? :mrgreen:

coogan
    Free Member

Shoulda read back over your previous posts kenny huh? 😆

kennyp
    Free Member

How'd your lot do that year?

My lot? Well they lost 3-1 to Peru, drew 1-1 with Iran and beat Holland 3-2.

As for Ally McLeod, my tongue was in my cheek a bit. He was a great bloke who had us genuinely believing we'd win the World Cup. Who cares if it all went badly wrong. It was fun while it lasted.

kennyp
    Free Member

Shoulda read back over your previous posts kenny huh?

No worries, done the same myself many times.

coogan
    Free Member

Its bad enough being guff at football, but being guff at football banter is a serious new low.

Mikey65
    Free Member

TRUE STORY FROM PUB.

English and Scots guy talking about football.

Discussion raged on with usual banter and then Jock guy started talking about how they kicked England's arse at Bannockburn.

English Guy: forget that, remember when Mcallister missed the penalty and then Gazza stuck the ball over Hendrie's head and scored a classic….what a celebration as well.

Scots guy: Occchhh , now your talkng history.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘England Bashing’ is closed to new replies.