Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Engineers..
  • z1ppy

Anyone know somewhere who will have stock of M10 metric fine thread bolts (1.25 pitch), only need 4 (Stainless steel would be nice) not a packet of 100 which the local nut& bolt suppliers want to order me (t’is a little wasteful really) 🙂

Oh it’s for an solution to fix a disc brake mount onto a bike… so this is a bike related question.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d be very leary of fixing a disc mount to a bike that didn’t come with them. If the frame’s not designed for it you could end up in trouble…

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

http://www.wentinfasteners.co.uk/ in Yeovil probably sell them, i’ve had single nuts & bolts, etc, there before.
    Sounds like you just need a better supplier local to you – one that sells them by weight would help!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    z1ppy

molegrips, I have a mount made for M6 bolts, but the frame has M10-FT holes.. gunna chop/drill/thread the M10 bolts to made inserts for the frame.
    T’is an engineer who suggest this fix.

…btw it’s for a ’98 Marin B17 frame, so disc brakes were fairly new at this stange of development (?).

D_R, cheers I’ll try anyone, but to be fair Cromwell are a fairly large supplier and can get them in for me but only in a box of 100, a little more than I need.

burtonsno
    Free Member

tried ebay!!!

or even a little local hardware shop.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Try giving Brabbin and Rudd a call (Wigan based but I think they’ll post them). The problem is the fine thread, I called round a lot of places and ended up just buying some rod and a die to cut my own thread lol.

z1ppy

coffeeking, do you have a M10 fine thread die by any chance then?
    Any chance of a loaner?

Or who sold you the single die? I’ve only seen them as sets.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Not got it anymore, I “gave” it to my old place of work and now only have access to current works tools that I cant lend out-where abouts are you?

sturmey
    Free Member

Give me your address and how long you want them and I should be able to sort you out.Definately M10 you didnt go by the spanner size? Just seems a bit over kill as most brake bolts are M6.

devs
    Free Member
    coffeeking
    Free Member

Would tend to agree with sturmey on the size issue, M10 is rear mech hanger bolt size – bigger than most ive seen on a bike.

petrieboy

i’m looking at these guys for replacement bolts for a couple of my bikes – obviously cant recommend as yet, but looks like they do all types of bolts in stainless, aluminum and titanium.
    http://www.tastynuts.com/site/frames/frameset_shoponline.htm

roundwheels
    Free Member

10 mm bolts seem ott
    imo you should check a gain ( you didnt go by the spanner size?)

UK-FLATLANDER

Probolt/Tasty Nut do some nice SS stuff

wors

i’ll have a look at work tomorrow, we mostly use ss.

z1ppy

feeling the love off this thread, really appreciating the help & offers, then again I’m just back from the pub and bit psihed.

Ok, obviously some of you aren’t reading all the posts, so I do a little explaination again to bore you silly… 🙄
    I have a m8’s Marin B17 a 1998 full-susser with M10 FT holes on the swinging arm, from around the at the start of the disc brake usage , (hense why it isn’t today’s normal M6 size), engineer m8 used his thread checker gauges to confirm the spec (after he’d given me a normal M10, a whitworth & an old american bolt to try),I have an adapter made from a Marin/ATB autocad drawing again sorted by my nice engineer m8 which fits just nicely onto a 160mm disc and looks to line up with the M10 bolt holes. BUT the adapter is designed for M6 bolts. So I need the M10 F-T bolts so that they can be drilled and tapped for a M6 bolt, have the heads cut off and this used as an insert (locktited in) to the swinging arm.
    Simple eh?

will sober up and try to reply to some of the offers tomorrow.

err and Coffeeking, I’m in the stourbridge area, though travel to below oxford a couple of times a week if thats of any use.

😀

uplink
    Free Member

This lot pretty much do all sizes @ any quantity

http://www.stagonset.co.uk/#fasteners

nice people too

mikee
    Free Member

http://www.tracytools.com/tapsanddiesmain.htm

this for your die (and taps)

z1ppy

sturmey/wors, any luck locating any before I start phoning round? 😉
    (neither of you have email address listed, to mail you direct)

mmmmph my head hurts. 😳

wors

sorry z1ppy, M6 is the largest we have.

the00
    Free Member

My first proper MTB was a ’98 Marin B17, so I understand the size and shape of the mount you need, M10 sounds right. Good luck.

sturmey
    Free Member

Yes we do have M10 x 1.25 in stock email me with your requirements and I will sort you out just make a donation to the RNLI my chosen charity. paul.nutton@talktalk.net

z1ppy

ygm, cheers.

sturmey
    Free Member

z1ppy I have you some bolts I will try to get them in the post today if not it will be saturday.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Engineers..’ is closed to new replies.