Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Engineering Log Book Software
  • eskay

Does anyone use software to record day-to-day activities instead of writing in a log book?

I would quite like the ability to summarise my work in a program that allowed my to arrange my notes by project.

Useful features would be the ability to upload photo’s, diagrams, etc. make notes, easy search utility, browser based would be good.

I know this could be done in something like MS Word but you would end up with a massive document over time that would become cumbersome.

When looking for information from previous years I currently have to sift through reams of information.

irelanst
    Free Member

I use OneNote, I have a tab for each project and a scribble pad for general notes. Once a project is finished I move that tab to an archive.

leffeboy

Yep, that’s pretty much what OneNote is for. I keep mine on a sky drive so I can add pics from phone or access from web

irelanst
    Free Member

I keep mine on a sky drive

Me too.

poly
    Free Member

there are various official e-Lab note book tools around. You might find that something like Evernote does what you want FOC though (but if it is for corporate stuff they may not be happy with where/how the data is stored/owned).

Personal preference with out software engineers seems to be to use a Wiki.

peath
    Free Member

You’ll need some ‘software skillz’ but you could try IPython – it is too heavy weight for my usage though.

For the time being I’ve settled on a text document using reStructuredText, but you’ll need to post process it at some point.

I’m still looking for a lightweight but complete solution…

eskay

Just having a play with One Note, it seems pretty good. Amazing what software is lurking on your computer that you never use!

Thanks for the comments

footflaps

I found OneNote couldn’t cope with graphs pasted in it from Excel, it seemed to run out of memory and crash a lot.

rockhopperbike

I use Tree- on a mac- nice n simple – all keyboard work too, so quicker once you learn the keys

eskay

Well…. it just crashed when I tried to insert a scanned image. Seems to be ok now though.

geoffj

Evernote +1

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Engineering Log Book Software’ is closed to new replies.