Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Engineering help needed. Rivnut replacement
  • beaker

My Ibis Tranny has a loose rivnut and I can’t undo the bolt as the rivnut just spins. Ibis were great and sent a replacement but I can’t fit it as I don’t have the rivnut tool. Is there someone located around Wiltshire, Hampshire or Dorset that could drill the old one out and fit the new rivnut?

Thanks all!

crogthomas
    Free Member

A blob of superglue might secure the existing nut enough to be able to remove the bolt. At the very least that makes it a lot easier to drill out the rivnut.

cookeaa

Am I the only one not so keen on the idea of popping a rivnut into a carbon tube? is that really what they do?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    brant
    Free Member

Am I the only one not so keen on the idea of popping a rivnut into a carbon tube? is that really what they do?

Easier than welding.

29erKeith
    Free Member

if you drill it out, will you not end up with a few rattly bits of left overs in the tube forever?

nemesis
    Free Member

IME you can usually get those bits out via the rivnut hole or other holes in the frame.

You don’t need a rivnut gun to do a rivnut up.

http://home.btconnect.com/astro-site/pulling_rivnuts.htm

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Chances are that if you can get the bolt out, you’ll be able to simply tighten up the existing rivnut it’s quite east to do with a bolt and a couple of nuts.

brant
    Free Member

Chances are that if you can get the bolt out, you’ll be able to simply tighten up the existing rivnut it’s quite east to do with a bolt and a couple of nuts.

You should do a video for that. You’re right.

beaker

Thanks for the replies everyone. I had tried superglue but I had no luck. @keith I have no idea about debris will rattle through the frame. Thanks for the help so far, I appreciate replies.

asbrooks

What sort of bolt is stuck in the rivnut? You may be able to get some mole grips on the bolt head to hold whilst you drill through the threaded length. Start with a small drill and work your way up in drill size till you take the bolt head off.
    Install as nemesis suggested.

motivforz
    Free Member

Would happily do it on mine but not some else’s pride and joy, just in case! But as for removal – dremels were made for this kind of thing. Small bit and some water, and lots of patience with gentle cuts.

As for putting it in, as above bolt with nuts and washers. Quite slow but maximum feel for a thin/fragile bike frame compared to the proper tool which can be cumbersome. As you’re only doing it the once you don’t need the tool IMHO.

muddy9mtb

if you have a friendly car repairer or garage nearby they should have the tools to take these in and out, although you risk letting a grease monkey on your pride and joy 😆

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Engineering help needed. Rivnut replacement’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts