Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Engineering Drawing Practise
  • wors

Dimensioning – putting equal – equal on a dimension for 2 holes around a centre line say with the centre distances of the holes on too. Good Practise or not?

fourbanger
    Free Member

Never seen “equal” on a drawing but not 100% what you’re asking!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Over dimensioning IMO. One or the other.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Dimension them on a common PCD? Think it’s up to you/company/client practise – as long as there is sufficient info on the drawing to re-draw it/manufacture it based only on what is on the drawing sheets then you’ve passed the first/major hurdle 😉

creamegg
    Free Member

You got to think about the guy who has to build it. Have you provided all the info he needs? How you present that info isn’t that important as long as its correct and easy to understand and is consistent

flip
    Free Member

Put the = sign on either side of the centre line along with the dimn. normal practice.

wors

There is enough info on the drawing, I always thought putting = = around a centre line was bad practise, but my current boss doesn’t. Not that it matters.

I guess I have been influenced by the older guys who I used to work with who drew everything by hand.

kevj
    Free Member

It in not necessarily bad practice and I have seen examples of this on many drawings. The only problem is if the reader is not able to quantify what ‘=’ means from other dimensions.

cp

Dimension between the holes, with a equal each side is usually sufficient in our place.

EDIT – and for our subbies

eg/

flip
    Free Member

Yes but the OP said around a C/L there isn’t one on that example.

cp

I know – I was showing what was sufficient for us & our subbies.

If they were absolutely position critical holes, eg. dowel holes, location holes or some such, I wouldn’t be using = X =, everything would be off datum faces. For stuff like mounting holes, tapped holes etc… I’d say either as I’ve done above or with a CL, doesn’t really matter.

flip
    Free Member

Ah yes.

This is making me miss engineering 😐

benman
    Free Member

Me too.

Spend my time on illustrator instead of solidworks these days 🙁

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Engineering Drawing Practise’ is closed to new replies.