Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Engineered wooden floor – floating or glued?
  • boxelder

14mm, ply based engineered floor onto new concrete and small section of floorboards. Leave it floating or glue it down? It’s a DIY fit. Thinking I’ll board over the old floorboard section if levels work out. I’ve helped fit both types before, but undecided here.

jemima
    Free Member

I glued mine down. Did a bit of research at the time and decided it was better. Thought you needed the pieces to clip together to make a floating floor?

The glue is stiff as heck and takes a bit of work to spread out nicely. And had to buy quite a specific grooved trowel for it…

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I fitted a floating engineered floor over concrete, the planks were click style, looks good and have had no issues since fitting.

chickenman

Tongue and groove stuff can just be glued together at the join, works fine. Cheap clip together (like a recent job I had using Howdens stuff)can be a total pig to join together as it won’t slide sideways; little bits in tight corners need to be angled in two directions simultaneously to get them to clip together.

djflexure

We are just going through the same. This is what I was told: Glue for best results (sound/ floor contact). Watch out laying over new concrete. Supposed to give it time to dry out – one month per inch (or until moisture meter less 10%).

All our previous wooden floors have been floating. Usually a bouncy bit somewhere but this may not bother you.

boxelder

Yeah, going for glued. Concrete has been down a few months. Going to buy from poshflooring, unless better recommendations or nightmare tales?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Engineered wooden floor – floating or glued?’ is closed to new replies.