Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Engine running hot (pick up) – help please.
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Firstly, I don’t really know if it is running hot. The gushers is about half way between hot and cold (where it’s always sat), the truck runs fine and neither black nor white smoke from the exhaust.

I broke down the other day. We had a new fuel pump and filter. Whilst the bonnet was up, the mechanics pointed to wry low oil and leaking seals on the engine. They were replaced and the oil and oil filter changed too

With the seals on the engine leaking, it was obviously a bit oily.

I just lifted the bonnet to add windscreen-washing water and to my uneducated sense, the engine was too hot. I’d driven about 20km, sensible B road driving. Checked the oil an there was the faintest wisp of smoke, comimg, I think, from the dipstick hole. The fan wasn’t spinning unusually. Everything seems to be running fine. Temp gauge is normal… Should I be worried? Should I be checking anything?

Thanks

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Can t seem to edit on my iPhone but should add that all fluid levels are fine. The dipstick oil was a tiny bit uncomfortable on my fingers.

benji
    Free Member

What makes/model, but no doesn’t sound wrong, keep an eye on levels for the next few weeks. Engines will seem hot, bet you don’t normally open a bonnet after a drive.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

You’re right – rarely pop open the bonnet and if I do, I deliberately do it when the engine’s cool.

It’s a ISUZU D-Max. The 3.0L turbo – with an upgraded turbo. Otherwise stock.

Is the tiny] amount of smoke okay? It was a whisp. Far less than from even a cigarette but it did seem to be coming from the dipstick as opposed to burning off from the dirty engine.

Thanks

v8ninety

Normal running temp for an engine is between 90 and 110 deg c, which feels quite hot when you open a bonnet; its a lot hotter than a household radiator! A wisp of smoke from a dipstick hole when the enging is up to temp is not uncommon. Sounds like you’re having a crisis of trust with a newly fixed motor; I can relate to that! Just turn the radio up and try not to worry…

globalti
    Free Member

A bit of smoke or vapour coming from the oil filler cap is normal; what matters is that the radiator is doing its job and that needle stays in the middle of the gauge. If there’s a creamy white emulsion stuck to the inside of the filler cap and a nauseating greasy smell, you’ve got water mixing with the oil and an emulsion forming, which means at best a knackered head gasket.

On older vehicles the alloy radiator fins will turn to aluminium oxide and stop cooling the engine. The fix is to take the rad to a reconditioner who will rebuild it with a new core for much less than the cost of a new rad.

dogmatix

As others have said, a calibrated temperature gauge is probably a better measure than lifting the bonnet up and having a see 😯 in the middle is exactly where it is meant to be.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Thanks.

You’re right – that ‘just-fixed-expecting-trouble’ feeling was it, I suspect.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Engine running hot (pick up) – help please.’ is closed to new replies.