• This topic has 16 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by boblo.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Engine questions
  • td75
    Free Member

I have been looking at used cars today and I’ve sat in a few different ones. I’ve got some questions on the engines of the cars I sat in

Citroen / Peugeot – Are the 2L HDI’s reliable? How do they campare to the VAG units? Been looking at the Citroen C4 Exclusive.

BMW 1 series – I’ve heard the 120d’s had a problem with snapping timing chains?

Audi 2.5 V6 TDI – It felt very smooth on start-up. Any real problems with these?

griptool
    Free Member

Mmmm did you mention a V6?
    Buy that one 😀

craigxxl
    Free Member

BMW 2.0 diesel used in 120 other models had a potential problem with the timing chains. This was revised on late 2008 cars. You need to check build date rather than registration date.

Audi 2.5 check RFL costs as emissions are high.

td75
    Free Member

Fell in love with the Audi 2.5 TDI, so smooth.

The BMW is an early car. Maybe it’s best avoided to be safe.

fizik
    Free Member

Think vag 2.5tdi v6’s need timing belts every 40k, nice engine though. Volvo d5 is probably one of the best diesel units out there very characterful, smooth, bombproof and will pull like a train

td75
    Free Member

Wow timing belts every 40K? That could change things. Anyone with opinions on the HDi engine?

bear-uk
    Free Member

The HDI has its problems. Mostly due to people using poor oil. They need low tar fully synthetic oil in them.

parkesie
    Free Member

Pug 2.0 hdi 140 and 160 motors are like most similar engines reliable when serviced correctly. Ive got a c5 with the 140 hdi on 114000 on the clock oil change for full synth every 10k instead of the 20 that the service counter says. Dpf hasnt been a problem even the fluid top up was relatively painless.

td75
    Free Member

So the 2.0 HDI has a DPF? The car I’m looking at is an 06 Citroen C4

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

My Berlingo 2.0Hdi does not have a DPF, FAP or DMF.

td75
    Free Member

So does that mean the 06 C4 won’t have one either? What year is your Berlingo? How can you tell if they have one?

Inbred456
    Free Member

TWrestler did you change the clutch to a single flywheel and diaphragm plate then. Most common rail diesel engines have a DMF to limit vibration damage to the gearbox input shaft, even most petrol engines have them these days.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Might depend on engine BHP. I had a 307 with a 1.6 HDI engine. It had all the bits on because it had the 110 BHP engine. The 90 BHP had a basic setup. Wouldnt worry to much about the DPF, its easy to clean with brick cleaner providing you can remove it from whatever car you end up with.

td75
    Free Member

Does that mean the Audi 2.5 tdi will be old school and not have one? Looking at either a A4 2001 or A6 2001

parkesie
    Free Member

It was about that time that pug citroen started fitting dpf to most big diesels so would be worth checking.
    Dont think the audi will have.

spooky_b329

Best to Google one of those car specs websites. Last one I used could tell you which variant came with chromed heater controls and which didn’t 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

That Audi 2.5 v6 is the old one; 163bhp in 2wd, 180bhp in 4wd. Belts at 70k which is a big job and most change pump/pulleys/tensioners/followers at the same time ~£700 plus. The 163bhp is a bit under powered in an A6. I had mine chipped and it was like chalk and cheese. That engine is very, very reliable and the one I had (03) was pre DPF/DMF.

If you can find a VAG 2.7 v6, it’s 180bhp in 2wd and chain driven cams so no nasty periodic belt jobbies. Again no DPF/DMF in the one I had (07) and again chipped for extra fruit. Similar economy to the 2.5l at ~38 mpg overall.

Currently on the V70 D5 mentioned above. Yes its pokey at 215 bhp but God the car is dull… Again ~38mpg mixed up to low 40’s on a run if I behave.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Engine questions’ is closed to new replies.