Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • engine oil extractor?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

prob a long shot, but does anyone have or used an oil extractor? i need one for an oil change on my boat, the pela 6000 is well rated on car sites but i see on ebay you can get similar looking ones for half the price.

konabunny
    Free Member

You mean like the pumps/siphons instead of letting it drain with gravity? “Apparently” it’s standard on Mercs now.

MikeG

I’ve had a sealey one for several years now, bought it when I rounded the sump plug on the wifes fiat.
    Absolutely fantastic, I used it to suck the oil out of my car then took out the drain plug, no oil left at all.
    Mine also has an attachment to bleed brakes.
    Mine was £70ish and I’d definately buy another.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coffeeking
    Free Member

We just used a basic brass hand pump picked up at a boat jumble, empties the sump in 5 minutes of pumping.

parisroubaix

Ive used one on a boat with great success, make sure the oil is hot like you would on a car (typically drains one litre more when hot), and you have a suitable vessel to drain it into, esp when its hot.
    I seem to remember it wasn’t a particularly expensive model and worked well.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve got a Pela I use to change the oil on my car, absolutely brilliant and majorly hassle free, dunno about the eBay ones, but they’re quite simple devices really and pay for themselves within a couple of oil changes.

coffeeking
    Free Member

typically drains one litre more when hot

WTF?! You might get a few hundred ml more but a litre? The only difference hot oil makes is the rate it runs down the walls of the sump and engine at – assuming the engine was warm last time it ran it’s going to have drained into the sump from warm then too!

Junkyard
    Free Member

my ebay one broke after 3 changes go for a manual brass one not much slower and impossible to break

parisroubaix

Coffeeking- if the engine is mega hot, and the sump capacity is big, you can get an extra litre out believe me.In am a keen car enthusiast and all the info in the magazines suggests so as well. In a smaller engine I agree is a few hundred ml. Modern oils are designed to stick to the engine components, and when cold they stick to everything, including the sump- so by having it hot you drain all that.

konabunny
    Free Member

I bought an eBay/crappy plastic hand pump for pumping out power steering fluid. It was shlte.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘engine oil extractor?’ is closed to new replies.