Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Engine covers on modern cars – do they actually do anything? (Skoda vRS content)
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced the crankcase breather pipe on my 1.8t Octavia vRS. I know it’s a weak link on the engine and have replaced it with a silicon jobbee.

However, the new hose is bigger than the previous rubber job and fouls on the plastic covers that I took off to access the engine. Looking at VAG forums (no, not those VAG forums – VW Audi Group, you filthy little rapscallion!) it seems the common thing to do is give the pipe a little trim to get it all to fit in nicely – I don’t really fancy doing that.

So, I haven’t replaced the covers, but it has got me wondering – do I need to? Other than muffle engine noise, what do they actually do? Does the engine *need* them on?

TrekEX8
    Free Member

The engine cover acts as a thermal barrier between the main magneto-driven flange comparator and the electro-hydraulic sprocket pump.
    If you remove it, you run the risk of spontaneous inflammation caused by the dry running of the viscous coupled exhaust fan.
    Hope that clears things up?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Hmm. I wondered if that was the case…

Doesn’t the duel-sprocket alert sensor alert me to intense heat build-up prior to spontaneous combustion?

iolo
    Free Member

Why not put the right sized pipe on? Problem solved.

bearnecessities

The engine cover acts as a thermal barrier between the main magneto-driven flange comparator and the electro-hydraulic sprocket pump.
    If you remove it, you run the risk of spontaneous inflammation caused by the dry running of the viscous coupled exhaust fan.

BS. Everyone knows it’s to prevent quasiparticles from entering the nominate subordinate taxon layer. Unless you’ve got a blue car.

benji
    Free Member

Makes the engine bay look tidier, and sound insulation so it doesn’t sound like an agricultural machine.

Markie
    Free Member

If my car didn’t have one, they’d be nothing to rattle the dipstick out…

TheBrick
    Free Member

TrekEX8 – Member
    Hope that clears things up?

Where you involved in this?
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDgQg6bq7o[/video]

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Why not put the right sized pipe on? Problem solved.

OEM pipe is £40, rubber and splits. Aftermarket pipe is £25-30, silicon and is guaranteed.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Makes the engine bay look tidier, and sound insulation so it doesn’t sound like an agricultural machine.

I did wonder… 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

BS. Everyone knows it’s to prevent quasiparticles from entering the nominate subordinate taxon layer. Unless you’ve got a blue car.

It’s blue. 😀

bearnecessities

It’s blue.

😀

maxtorque

Pimpmaster Jazz
    OEM pipe is £40, rubber and splits. Aftermarket pipe is £25-30, silicon and is guaranteed

….to kill your lambda sensor in the long run.

EFA^^^^

molgrips
    Free Member

Mine has some strategically placed foam under it which muffles some sound from the camshaft area. Definitely sounds a bit clackier without it.

porter_jamie

‘underhood beautification’ i think is the word i heard at work, and nvh

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

….to kill your lambda sensor in the long run.

Really? How come? My impression was that the engine should be as sealed as possible, therefore a sealed pipe is better than one with a split in it.

I freely admit to being a reasonable bike monkey, but am not a car mechanic in the slightest.

seavers
    Free Member

Blue??! Don’t risk that aftermarket junk. Better you just flush your diskombobulator and fit the standard rekombobulatornator kit.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Mine has some strategically placed foam under it which muffles some sound from the camshaft area. Definitely sounds a bit clackier without it.

‘underhood beautification’ i think is the word i heard at work, and nvh

Pretty much what I thought. 🙂

Blue??! Don’t risk that aftermarket junk. Better you just flush your diskombobulator and fit the standard rekombobulatornator kit.

Aren’t they really expensive unless I buy from a German shop?

seavers
    Free Member

Yep. 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Yep.

Thought as much. 🙁

john_drummer
    Free Member

hasn’t anybody thought of the effect on the flux capacitor?

parkesie
    Free Member

My peugeot had one all it did was fall off.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

hasn’t anybody thought of the effect on the flux capacitor?

No. 😳

i refuse to believe this of a French car. 😉

samuri
    Free Member

NO WAY!!!! Did you contact Peugeot and tell them this? I expect they were sat around twiddling their thumbs for years just waiting for something to fall off of one of their cars. 😉

Sandwich

Mainly for noise suppression, check on construction and use regs as noise suppression is part of type approval for the car.

parkesie
    Free Member

I was furious and sold it in disgust then bought a citroen to replace it. 😉

samuri
    Free Member

lol

Inbred456
    Free Member

Keeps the water out of the coil packs. Just make a little nitch in the edge of the cover for the pipe. Job done!

thejesmonddingo

Ooooh I had a nitch once,had to use a special cream to clear it 😀

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Ooooh I had a nitch once,had to use a special cream to clear it

😆

I was furious and sold it in disgust then bought a citroen to replace it.

Also 😆

Keeps the water out of the coil packs. Just make a little nitch in the edge of the cover for the pipe. Job done!

Cheers – I think that may be the way forward.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Engine covers on modern cars – do they actually do anything? (Skoda vRS content)’ is closed to new replies.