Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Engaged. hurrah. What venue for the young & poor?
  • igm

Oh yes.

Some places if you book a room for party it’s one price, but if you say wedding reception the price rockets.

It was a party you wanted wasn’t it. It just happens to be shortly after your wedding ceremony.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I think the venue scotroutes posted was a wedding I hoped to attend but couldn’t- photos made it look like an excellent do!

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Brilliant stuff from all involved. I’ll be making some calls this evening.

I have already learned that a beautiful white gold ring with a diamond is NOT an engagement ring. Only the ones costing 300 more can be called engagement rings. Apparently.

“Yeah, it’s not for a wedding. Just your normal “gathering of people” rate please…”
    COME ON IS THIS MY LIFE ALREADY WHO AM I, PRINCE BLOODY WILLIAM!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cfinnimore
    Free Member

Family in Toulouse. Wine sorted. Photographer, sorted. Good, flowers, decorations all being done by the wedding army.

Once the venue is sorted its all go frugal fun, including the food which is ANTI pasti. Posh finger food with a polemic twist sourced from local trade contacts. Beer ditto.

matt_outandabout

“Yeah, it’s not for a wedding. Just your normal “gathering of people” rate please…”
    COME ON IS THIS MY LIFE ALREADY WHO AM I, PRINCE BLOODY WILLIAM!

I hope you have already pointed out to the future mrs_c that £300 is a decent set of wheels… 😉

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Is “Ladies & gentlemen we are floating in space” an overused and obvious first song?
    Got to get the important things sorted..

I’m playing “Bullshit Engagement bingo” the next **** that says “finalised” is for it.

13thfloormonk

Congratulations!

Two weeks engaged yesterday here 8)

Only problem is on one of our first dates we stumbled across a wedding in the Edinburgh Botanic Gardens, so it was both of our first choice of venue. We might be lucky to keep it to four figures before the band and the photos (and the dresses, and the flowers…) 😳

Still, I’m hoping it’s worth it for a nice central venue we both love that is easy to get to for everybody, I like the advice above ‘it’s about the people’

DezB
    Free Member

Is “Ladies & gentlemen we are floating in space” an overused and obvious first song?

I very much doubt it! A bit… maudlin isn’t it?

Congrats and Matt’s first place looks lovely!

jonathan
    Free Member

Another village hall wedding here – done on a shoe string when impoverished post-grads. Where we paid for stuff we made sure we did it properly. Edensor Village Hall on the Chatsworth estate for the ceremony, with Champagne reception outside after. The close family went for a meal and friends and others went picnicking at various Peak District beauty spots. Then evening do in the senior common room at Sheffield Uni – dead cheap hire, cheap buffet, cheap bar, queue of friends to DJ – essentially just what you could do in a village hall, but it was close to most people homes and accommodation.

One thing we did that can really free you up is completely separating the legal wedding (done 4 days before with just 2 witnesses at Sheffield registry office) and the ceremony – we had a humanist ceremony with a celebrant. If I did it again (hahaha) I’d get a friend or relative to act as an MC for a ceremony. And everyone needs two wedding anniversaries as it doubles the chance of remembering it 😉

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Her dad’s The Reverend Ron. So, that’s taken care of.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Engaged. hurrah. What venue for the young & poor?’ is closed to new replies.