• This topic has 18 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by StuF.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Enforced car sharing
  • bikemonkey
    Free Member

I've found out that they're doing a feasibility study into car sharing at work. Whilst I have a respect for the environment, I also have a disrespect for small talk before 9am, waiting for colleagues to finish work, not always being able to pop to the shop/family/wherever-the-hell-I-want after work and in my lunchtime.

Can your company force you to car share? Before it's mentioned, we work out in rural Cheshire and it's not served by public transport. Also further away from home than I'd like to cycle.

Of course, it may not actually go ahead.

geoffj

Can your company force you to car share?
    Not unless its a company car – but they may offer incentives if you do.

bensales
    Free Member

I can't see how they could force you to share, but I imagine if they do do it, then parking on-site may become restricted to sharers.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Aidy
    Free Member

As far as I'm aware they can't force you to car share.
    But I don't believe that they're under any obligations to provide you with parking space.

uplink
    Free Member

Not unless its a company car

If it is a company car, would you only pay half the income tax on it?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If it's where I think it is, I'd rather not ride to work through all those footballer's wives on their mobiles, filing their nails while driving to the tanning salon….

(good butcher in the nearby town?)

Junkyard
    Free Member

unfortunately we cannot safe the planet /protect the environment without making changes to our behaviour
    I either car share or commute.
    Hardly alarge sacrifice is it?
    I doubt they could force you but they could do draconian charges for the car park.
    If only we could carry on as we are and actually improve the environment eh

bikemonkey
    Free Member

they may offer incentives if you do.

I hope they don't find out the depths I'd go to for cake!

But I don't believe that they're under any obligations to provide you with parking space.

Good point – but as I said, the only way to get here is to drive or cycle if you're close enough.

BigJohn

Or drive half way, park all day outside some old woman's house and ride in the rest of the way.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

(good butcher in the nearby town?)

Not sure – it's an ad agency near Macc.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ah, not where I thought then!
    🙂

uplink
    Free Member

I either car share or commute.
    Hardly alarge sacrifice is it?

depends I suppose, my office is 120 miles away
    sometimes I go in, sometimes I work from home

porterclough
    Free Member

When I worked in rural Cheshire (at a certain large nuclear physics lab) I car shared with three different people over the course of the year. The first couple of people were a bit of a detour and I had to drive to theirs even when it was their turn. Worked much better when a new guy started who lived half a mile from me.

I was an extremely poor student on a placement though, and petrol was my second largest outgoing after rent so I needed to save cash.

It was sometimes useful that I had to leave work at a set time to give someone a lift when my boss was wittering on about something at home time… 😉

barrykellett
    Free Member

Also further away from home than I'd like to cycle.

I'm just nosey, but how far is it?

I wouldnt cycle regularly on anything much more than 20 miles each way, perhaps one way a day and the other way the next day, but you'd need a car, or a car share, of public transport for that

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

dunno, but i'll probably be car sharing as of next month so i'll let you know how it goes. sahring with a housemate who passes my work though, so no detours.

Train to the nearest town then cycle?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Get one of these . . .

Scarily looks like Jon Prescott!!!

jumping_flea
    Free Member

They can't make you car share, but as the government is taxing companies on car prking space, they could cut the number of spaces by half.

Another scheme that our company has introduced is discount car parking off site and a free shuttle bus to work. It won't work in rural cheshire but it has cut the number of people choosing to drive to the office.

I would car share but I work from home, straight to site, and I'm on call – so the person in the car would have to be flexible on where they ended up in the morning 😀

jimmy

I also have a disrespect for small talk before 9am

awwww. just agree with your share-partner that small talk ain't necessary. put the radio on, get on with it. you might even have a good laugh before a dull day in the office…

StuF

I car share most days with upto 5 other people – depending who's in the office (would love to cycle but 40 miles down the M1 wouldn't be much fun).

Small talk is a bit of a pain – especially when I'm trying to catch up on some sleep. The main bonus is that it has cut my petrol bill – more cash to spend on bike parts (or is that the kids…..)

We tend to have an agreement that we all leave at about the same time occasionally it doesn't work but it's usually not too bad

I do savour the days when I don't have to share and its good to have the car back to myself

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Enforced car sharing’ is closed to new replies.