Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Energy gels on flights
  • leebaxter
    Free Member

I am flying to majorca, with bike. Will taking a stack of energy gels in the bike box be frowned upon. Will they be binned?. I imagine they will look like drugs or a bomb on a scanner.

beej

You’re fine. I’ve flown loads of times with stacks of gels, bars and energy drink power in hold luggage. Just don’t try and take gels in hand luggage.

e.g. I took this lot for the Haute Route

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Or just take a couple then stock up when you get there. It’s not like there is a shortage of bike shops.

Or pop them in your hold luggage along with shower gel etc.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Drac

Or don’t bother and just buy jelly babies when you get there.

wilburt
    Free Member

Has anyone been stopped with them in hand luggage?

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Has anyone been stopped with them in hand luggage?

Yes, flying out to the alps in the mid noughts using my riding pack as hand luggage. Thought I’d cleared out all offending items pre-travel, but the pack I was using at the time was a cavernous thing with a labyrinth of pockets. Got pulled up for having three “jelly like substances contained in metallic foil tubes” and a CO2 canister. I can see that I didn’t help my cause when asked what the canister was calling it a ‘gas bomb’ without thinking, after that my efforts to de-escalate the situation by offering to eat the gels in front of the increasingly suspicious security officer to prove they weren’t cemtex fell on deaf ears. Confiscated and a stern talking to only, although I suspect these days / had I not been a pasty Welshman the out come would be very different

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Never had issues in hold luggage.

bruneep

Having done a yr at airport. I imagine they will look like gel sachets in a box.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Don’t see why you’d have a problem in hand luggage as long as the sachets were no bigger than 50ml in size and you removed them from your hand luggage at security and put them in a clear plastic bag.

I’m traveling with work at the moment and there was a lady with a baby in front of me at security on the way out with about 7 or so foil pouches of baby food. Originally they were in her bag but when they took them out ultimately she had no issues getting them through. Don’t see why gels should be any different. I alway have a hand sterilising gel with me and toothpaste is very gel-like.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Never mind gels in your hand luggage. Check out the TSA’s Instagram feed for the mental items people are trying to board with in the US!

http://instagram.com/tsa

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

The food on flights isn’t that bad, plus you shouldn’t really need nutrition when just sitting on a plane anyway.

hels
    Free Member

Might depend how many you take. Some airports are arsey about how much liquid/gels you have. I saw a women have a couple of bags of cosmetics taken off her. All under 100mls, but just SOOOOO many. I think they were doing her a favour.

submarined
    Free Member

Never mind gels in your hand luggage. Check out the TSA’s Instagram feed for the mental items people are trying to board with in the US!

http://instagram.com/tsa
    This is genuinely my new best thing!
    Who knew you couldn’t take an imitation suicide vest in your carry on luggage? it’s Nanny State gone mad!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Energy gels on flights’ is closed to new replies.