Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Energy drinks/gels with no sweeteners?
  • allankelly

Hi, I'm digging stuff out for 'Puffer and I just had a look at the nearly-empty bottle of SIS GO Electrolyte in the garage – it's got Aspartame in it. Well, I'm not buying that again. Why would you make a product which is 17% sugar and then add a potentially dangerous sweetener?!

Can you folks recommend effective good stuff, without artificial crap in?

Cheers, al.

simondbarnes

Torq stuff doesn't use any artificial gunk.

allankelly

Ta, I just found that on wiggle.
    al.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PlumzRichard
    Free Member

+1 for torq fantastic product and a brilliant bunch of people

Smee
    Free Member

knee pads.

allankelly

Goan: Aye, I've got knee pads… And a wife who's going to make me wear them!

Cheers, al.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

The plain flavour SIS psp22 with the blue label doesn't have it I think.

EDIT: Yep, checked the bottle and it's 100% maltodextrin. I like the stuff as you can add flavour and electrolyte to taste.

ojom
    Free Member

Onion has been banging on about this:
    http://www.thebikechain.co.uk/store/product/22895/Torq-Energy-Natural-500g/

use STWTBC voucher code if you want us to throw some your way a bit cheaper..

I assume that Inbred got to the guy ok….?

bananaworld
    Free Member

a potentially dangerous sweetener

I absolutely cannot resist sticking my huge nose in about this one.

Aspartame has been proven to be safe: http://www.food.gov.uk/safereating/chemsafe/additivesbranch/sweeteners/55174 (please shout it you think this source is biased 😉 but the facts stand up all on their own)

There has been an incredible and pointless dumpage of scaremongering bullturd about the harmfulness of aspartame. It's usually pandered around by the same people that shun soap and believe that the positions of the planets affects our everyday lives. (…and this is a hub-gear-biked beardy vegan writing this!)

Aspartame is safe, and useful.

artificial crap

Why is artificial crap?

ojom
    Free Member

Wasn't there some connection between Aspartame and Donald Rumsfeldway back? I think he was CEO of the firm who made it and as a politician he approved it's use in the US.

This could of course be bollocks and i can't be arsed checking the Oracle/Google/Wiki.

bananaworld
    Free Member

(sniff, sniff)

Hmmm, it's not BS I smell, what could it be…?

Ah yes, a well-rotted conspiracy theory, ripe for the turning.

ojom
    Free Member

hmm well there certainly is a lot on the web about it after a quick google. it looks credible enough…

Ti29er
    Free Member

+1 for Torq.
    Avoid anything you can't pronounce the chemical name for.
    +1 for sugar.

bananaworld
    Free Member

after a quick google… it looks credible enough…

Yay, scientific research LIVES!! 😉

And since when was 'sugar' a chemical name…?

ojom
    Free Member

how dare you suggest that the googlebot is wrong, it's all i have! 😆

bananaworld
    Free Member

Oh I would never sugest that Google might be wrong, but perhaps consider other avenues of investigation when doing yer PhD.

All hail the mighty googlebot!

ojom
    Free Member

without a library to hand and no intention of doing a phd it's my only tool.

what is the non urban myth theory then?

bananaworld
    Free Member

Um, I don't know that there is one.

Plenty of countries, from New Zealand to the-country-that-is-Europe to Canada have declared it safe. I guess it depends on how far you reckon Rummy's arm reaches.

DISCLAIMER: none of the above-mentioned countries have declared Aspartame safe for mainlining.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Must admit that I now try and stay away from the artificial sweeetners despite being a diabetic as they give me terrible palpitations (well canderel at least).
    Have been using Torq products for the past 4 months and find the bars very good too. Very helpful folk too.

bananaworld
    Free Member

Eek, here goes with another jump into the deep-end:

Could it be, Suggsey, that the palpitations are not related the Aspartame consumption? Is it coincidence, or something else causing it? Palpitations are not mentioned in the scientific literature related to Aspartame- the only place these symptoms come up is in statements from artificial additive detractors, with no hard evidence.

Either way, it might be an idea to get the opinion of a doctor (or two) as it would be really rubbish if something else was causing it.

bananaworld
    Free Member

(I guess I should just memntion that my continuing advocacy of Aspartame on here is nowt to do with particularly supporting it as a foodstuff, just that I am extremely skeptical of mindless scaremongering just because something is 'artificial'.)

(Not tyring to steal business away from Torq either, their stuff is good – I've chatted to them a couple of times are Gorrick races and they're indeed cool peeps.)

nickc

Glad I don't need to post, as bananaworld seems to have done all the hard work..

As you were…

allankelly

Damn, I missed a lively debate. The Aspartame/Rumsfeld "connection" is far from conspiracy theory, it's simple fact. Don Rump was the youngest (under Nixon) and oldest (under G Bush II) Foreign Secretary. He was described by (mr nice guy!?) Nixon as "a ruthless little bastard".

Fine. We all hate him. But where did the Rumsfeld millions come from? Aspartame. He MADE it legal by force, 20-30 yeaars ago (1977, Rumsfeld as Searle Senior Manager: http://www.rense.com/general33/legal.htm).

Goodnight then.

al & all.
    XXxxxx

bananaworld
    Free Member

Clearly the Rummy-rum-rum-tub-Aspartame connection is fact: he was well in there.

But was he really able to get it made legal all over the world if it wasn't safe?

Out of interest, what did you have to say Nick?

nickc

More or less the same as you. had the link ready an' everyfink…

druidh
    Free Member

Al – as Mark alluded to, I've been enjoying the Torq Natural. Unlike yer SIS products, you can drink it over a decent period without your teeth feeling like they've developed fur. Colourless and tasteless, but you can add any cordial/squash you like to give it a flavour if you want.

As for the gels, I like the Torq Yoghurt options. The slight bitterness of the yoghurt flavour again masks any inherent sweetness.

As for all that Aspartame shite claptrap, I'm afraid I'm just not convinced. It looks like pseudo-science to me.

allankelly

Can we be bothered re-hashing this here? Worth doing if viewers aren't up to speed. Otherwise not.

Loosely: Rumsfeld is the Devil.

OK?

al.

nickc

Rumsfeld is the Devil.

Is that a known known, or a known unknown? I get confused

allankelly
    bananaworld
    Free Member

WTF? How does making loads of money on a drug deal (legal drugs, people, legal drugs) make him Satan? As alluded to, I'm a Guardian-reading, cycle-commuting, shave-dodging 'lefty' and have plenty of reasons to hate Rumsfeld, but he's far from lonely in the capitalist-pig/fat-cat corner.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Energy drinks/gels with no sweeteners?’ is closed to new replies.