Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Energy Costs – How much do you pay?
  • Coyote
    Free Member

Mrs. C has been expressing concern over our combined gas and electricity monthly bill. I think she mentioned £140 per month for a 4 bed det.

Thought I’d do a quick poll on here to get some comparison prices. So, what do you pay?

trail_rat
    Free Member

3 bed end of row semi on top of a hill with full exposure

in winter 90-100 quid a month for oil and 25 quid DD for electricity. and 30 quid a month in logs

in summer(ie from end of march onwards) its 25 quid for electricity and the oil barely moves as its only used for heating water then

allthepies
    Free Member

Around £60/month dual fuel (gas/eleccy), 3 bed link detached.

(In the Surrey riviera)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ojom
    Free Member

It’s about 1.2k per year. Detached bungalow with attic converted. All brick etc.

Just changed from EON to Coop which ‘should’ save me £175 on existing consumption which is set to drop hopefully as we finally have curtains going in the room of doom.

footflaps

3 bed Victorian terrace, solid walls, only insulation is in the loft. Heated to 19-20C in mornings and evenings. Costs £55 / month in gas.

Stoner
    Free Member

As an annual average we go through 15kWh of elec a day. But we do work from home and run the main computer from 08:00-24:00 everyday.
    All low energy bulbs in the house and A rated appliances otherwise

Summer 11kWh a day, Winter 17kWh a day.
    So, £550 a year.

But a third of that is probably working from home costs.

jam-bo

£60/month DD for gas/electric. £100 load of logs lasts us a couple of months or so.

1800’s terraced cottage.

Hohum
    Free Member

4 bed house with 2 adults and 3 young children and we pay £183 a month at the moment but this should drop to around £150 a month soon once the debit balance is cleared.

Blackhound

£50/mth dual-fuel for 50 year old 3 bed detached here. LED GU10 bulbs, cavity wall insulation installed. Roof insulation is not enough but that is being sorted in next couple of weeks.

giantjason
    Free Member

4 bed detached house with 2 adults and we pay £58 per month for dual fuel. All our bulbs are low energy, got lots of insulation in loft and in the last year got a new condensing boiler with weather compensation that works a treat.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

£140 combined per month.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Similar to allthepies, we pay £65/month all in on a 3 bed semi, but I think that may come down again.

No dishwasher or dryer, new combo boiler, 90% low energy and LED lighting though. 🙂

busydog
    Free Member

Sounds like gas/elec costs there not greatly different than here in New Mexico USA.

We pay $213 USD/month for gas & elec. for 3 BR house –varies year to year a bit depending on natural gas prices. We could cut that by a bit if I wasn’t working at home and could cut thermostat down during the day.

Curious, what do you pay for water in your homes? Ours runs about $18 USD in winter months and about $40 USD in the summer. Likely going to go up due to the scarcity of said commodity here the past couple of years.

csb

4 bed victorian semi, condensing gas boiler, double glazed, energy bulbs, occupied all day (so heating on from 7am to 10pm) = £180/month on elec/gas over last 3 months.

iainc

Modern 4 bed detached west of Scotland – £170 a month combined DD. We like a warm house 🙂

Bear
    Free Member

Despite it being in my interest to sell lots of renewable / more efficient boilers I still think one of the biggest influences we could all make is using our energy way more effectively.

So many house I go in the owners don’t seem to care about how they use the thermostat. If we could get everybody to use that simple device properly we would save a huge amount of energy.

matt_outandabout

Big 4 bed house, Scotland and exposed(!), £220 a month on electric ‘Total Control, Total Heat’ scam supply that we cannot change supplier from. 😕

grtdkad

4 bed detached, two adults and three kids £185 per month for power and gas

…though my 16yo son’s 30 minute showers each morning don’t help! Pishing away both gas and water … (£110 per month on water too fwiw)

somafunk

£60 a month for electricity and heating, using an air source heat pump for hot water and heating. I’ve also got a multi fuel inset stove fitted and i guess this costs me £40 a month in fuel. All in a 1 bed semi detached council (now housing association) bungalow/sw scotland, it’d be a lot warmer/less draughty if i didn’t have bare floorboards but i don’t like carpets and i can’t afford a decent engineered wood floor, i’m too much of a snob for laminate flooring 😉 .

The thermostat for the radiators which work off the air source system is set to 14 degrees, i tend to use the stove to heat the house when i get home after work.

busydog
    Free Member

use that simple device properly

Definitely does make a difference. We use a programmable thermostat and it drops house temperature from 10PM until 5:30AM, then resets for a daytime temperature.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

£74 a month gas/electric, 2 bed semi

br
    Free Member

Some surprising numbers, especially:

(£110 per month on water too fwiw)

When we had a meter (no Scotland so rates), it was £11 pcm… With no attempt to save water – how the hell do you manage to is 10x as much?

And, £50-60pcm gas/electric bills – are you folk never in?

For us:

Large 3-bed mill in Scotland; £300 oil, £100 logs and £50 electric – per month.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Live fairly quietly here, £73 a month gas and elec and we’ve been keeping an eye on this for a couple of years so it’s fairly close to the annual average.

House is a 3 bed semi. Just got DG windows in so maybe the bill will come down a wee bit after a while.

I’m reasonably content with it.

tang
    Free Member

120pm duel for a 5 bed detached, fairly well insulated, house. Bit of a cold spot in the valley in the winter. Got high pressure h/w tank(no combi) and newish boiler. Not too bad. Water rates however….

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

We put away £40 a week to cover both, just had the bill come in and its £484 for the quarter ! ..
    3 bed mid terrace, loft insulated but heatings on alot of the time and the kids computers on all the time !

solarpowered
    Free Member

2 bed end terraced. £113pcm for both.
    Think I’m keeping the house too warm 😐

poly
    Free Member

4 bed semi with part of it a giant underground heat sync, and an outdated boiler was paying £94/mon averaged over the whole year for gas and elec combined

Jolsa

Electric only flat, £40pcm. Well insulated new build, 2 of us in flat.

busydog
    Free Member

Is the majority of heating for homes there boiler/hot water?

The majority here is gas/forced air. Our house is set in 2 heating/cooling zones, so have 2 gas/forced air furnaces and 2 evaporative coolers for summer.
    What saves me on winter gas cost is the amount of solar gain in winter through lots of windows/skylights—keeps most of the house at 68-70F, even if it is 15F outside–except on totally cloudy days (which isn’t the norm).

millzy
    Free Member

Coyote, i work for a renewable energy company and regularly visit people who think there bills are too high!

£140 a month for a combined bill is a fair amount for on grid gas!

the average house i visit similar to yours and on grid gas, has a bill of around £110.

get yourself a heat pump, or air to water system… or even PV :p,

Stoner
    Free Member

b r – you should really be looking at some kind of biomass thang for your heating if you’re paying £300 a month for oil.

br
    Free Member

b r – you should really be looking at some kind of biomass thang for your heating if you’re paying £300 a month for oil.

Its the AGA – so heating half the house, hot water for the towel rads in a couple of rooms and all cooking. Works out at 12 litres per day @ £0.70pl. Turn it down any further, and no roast potatoes 🙂

djglover
    Free Member

The National Average is over £100 per month for gas and elec now

I pay £78, 4 bed house 4 people, there is someone in every day so at the moment heating is on a lot, I am anal about energy saving :-|. It is a well insulated new build and all the lights are low watt LED etc etc

Coleman
    Free Member

Monthly dual fuel bill of £150 for a 3 storey detached bungalow with a hungry Aga to feed!

grtdkad

Yes BR my water bill is doing my head in. Metered. Four of us take the normal 2, 3, 4 minute showers. Then my muppet son does the 20-30 minute shower each morning. As I say that’s a lot of water AND gas for one person.

djglover
    Free Member

3 storey detached bungalow

Er, so it costs you an extra 50 quid per storey that you shouldn’t have 😳

ska-49
    Free Member

1 Bedroom Apartment (bedroom and kitchen/living room) at the moment:
    £35 electric (full electric- heating and appliances)
    £21 water

Not bad considering we (Me and the other half) are students so the heater, tv, oven & computer is always on at the moment. Toasty flat!

Edukator
    Free Member

We consume around 250e/year electricity for a family of three in a small house. Wood provides the heat which would cost about 150e a year if I didn’t fix my neighbour’s bikes. I don’t work so I’m in a lot.

seba560
    Free Member

I don’t work so I’m in a lot.

Have you taken into account how much hot air a human can produce?

elzorillo
    Free Member

5bed victorian semi.. dual fuel monthly payment is about £150

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Energy Costs – How much do you pay?’ is closed to new replies.