Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Enduroguard full of mud stopped my wheel!
  • dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Enduroguard on 29er 130mm rockshox rev, 2.2 Hutchinson squale tyre – got completed blocked with the plasticene mud around here (S.Cotswolds) this stopped the wheel, which to the side and I fell over (clipped in moment!). Cleaned it out, but 50yd same problem, wheel hardly moving, so I took the enduroguard off, rest of ride fine.

So Enduroguards are fine when mud is wet, but not when it is sticky. Crap really so have taken it off.

BoardinBob

Go quicker. It’s clogging because you’re not spinning the wheel quick enough

deadkenny
    Free Member

Clearly you’re not being Enduro enough for them to work.

Northwind

They’re just not good for bad mud, I reckon the main reason you don’t hear it more often, is that most people don’t ride in bad conditions. Sort of like “You can fit a 2.8 tyre but it’s tight”. Comes up a lot at races when people end up riding stuff they’d normally just avoid. (lots of it at last year’s scottish EWS)

I like the wee guards for better weather, but when there’s actual mank to be dealt with a crown guard is just miles better- better at mudguarding, impossible to clog.

doubledunter
    Free Member

Suffered same dilemma at ews last year, need to keep wheel turning to stop it clogging ie dont use your brakes as much 😆

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Sounds like the wrong type of mud
    😯

Use mine around West Yorkshire, Peak District and we get wet sandstone grit, peat/moorland and regular forest floor matter and sticky wet mud, never had an issue with the rrp enduroguard neither have my mates, all year round

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Damn it’s been confirmed I’m just not enduro enough

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Enduroguard on 29er

Wheel size error.

stumpy01

Had the same problem with a Muckynutz front guard. Not to the point of stopping the wheel but definitely slowing it down significantly. It was also piling mud up against the fork stanchions, amongst which I found several large, sharp stones. Luckily none had actually damaged the stanchions, themselves.

I still use it, but keep a close eye on it.

julzm
    Free Member

It’s a bit better with fox forks IMHO. I had the same problem at Vallelujah last year, I tried to rip the thing off at one point. This year swapped from pikes to fox 36, with same enduro guard. Conditions this year were worse than last year in places, no issues at all with the guard clogging up. Looking st the crown, fox 36 just seem to have more clearance than pikes. Not sure if that’s the same across fox v Rockshox.

Olly
    Free Member

Surely if it clogs against the guard it would clog against the fork brace?

Northwind

The guard is both a funnel and a retainer, it scoops in more mud and helps keep it there as it can only escape out the front (usually when the fork crown clogs, mud gets pushed out the side and over the top). Some guards reduce the amount of clearance by a fair bit too.

pinder318
    Free Member

If you know it’s going to be muddy take your wheel out and spray wd40 or gt85 on the inside of the guard and it will stay clear for alot longer

scandal42
    Free Member

Mine seems to do nothing at all.

I end all wet rides covered in mud, especially my face.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Enduroguard full of mud stopped my wheel!’ is closed to new replies.