Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Enduro/Downhill in Stirling area
  • remedy7
    Free Member

Anyone know any Enduro style or downhill trails in the Stirling area? Wanting to change it up from the usual trails like Dumyat and Mine Woods

robertgray05
    Free Member

Cambusbarron & ridgeline above the North Third reservoir?

Or over to Comrie Croft?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Think there are still trails out at Cambusbarron. Dunno if there’s anything of that calibre down at Carron Valley.

Used to be trails out by Dollar and some private forest out by Grangemouth or so? Lost in the mists of time and Descent-World crashing. Had parking problems IIRC, something hill?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

DH trails at Dollar, also some enduro type stuff at glendevon. Though tbh, I’d be heading to Dunkeld.

squirrelking
    Free Member

^Kinnoul as well. Dunkeld is the race that put me off racing, a 2 year gap will do that.

remedy7
    Free Member

Anyone tried out Glen Sherup? Looks like it could be worth the trip. Not sure if the Dollar DH trails are still in good shape but its not far to go and check them out. Is Dunkeld the best bet out of them all?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have some mates form up that way, and they ride N3, dumyat, cambu, torwood, glendevon, dollar, glensherup…. I’ve only ridden the first 3 tbh.

As SK says, kinnoul hill is supposed to be good.

Dunkeld defo the big location though, basically 4 hills with a variation of steepness and tech. The climbs are pretty relentless, was 50 minutes to get to stage 1 of the recent enduro there (which is the only time I’ve ridden there, but I’ll be back for sure)

Northwind

Dunkeld is brilliant these days, I only know a fraction of it and that’s still enough to make it one of the best spots outside of the valley. More enduro than dh mind

remedy7
    Free Member

Decent choice of places that you listed, cheers Nobeer. Didnt even know there were trails at Torwood. Dunkeld is sounding good, seems to be popular with a lot of folk on here

DickBarton

They aren’t dh or Enduro…just trails. Good but not for your original query.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Just remembered the other place of yesteryear – Falkland woods.

IIRC it’s privately owned by Total and managed by Stakis. May or may not have been harvested at some point. Parking was an issue (don’t be a cock) and it was an informal track (neither official nor discouraged so long as everyone behaved and kept the ball low).

chickenman

Aberfoyle routes from the Braeval forest carpark are really challenging plus the climb up is a doddle (easy angled smooth fireroad).

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

If you know where to look there is some serious steep stuff in uni/mine woods. Not hours worth but certainly steep enough to wet your apetite…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

God Aye, forgot about aberfoyle! That’s as steep as anywhere….

andy4d

Can anyone tell me where in dollar the trails are. I am around there soon so may take a look.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Strava is your friend.

andy4d

Fair point. I guess up by castle Campbell then. 🙂

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Are the Dunked trails easy to find/make a coherent route from?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s very much winch and plummet gkw, best bet is to either get a Gpx from someone’s Strava, or ask in the bike shop in town, progression.

dunkeldlocal
    Free Member

Hi gkw,

The trail forks app will show you all the main trails around Dunkeld and Adam at progression bikes can help too. Can make lots different loops/routes depending on what kind of ride your after.

hainman
    Free Member

Some really really good trails on the grounds of Crieff hydro,and more stuff appearing
    one of my favourite places to ride,Aberfoyle is pretty good to but some epic climbing,very similar to Golfie,steep mental stuff included

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve heard of the Creiff hydro stuff too Hainman, how much riding is there?.

hainman
    Free Member

theres two main trails,switch backs,jumps,berms and north shore,than theres about 5-7 off piste trails,and the climb back up the fire rode is 5 minutes give or take,plus its about the same back to carpark if ye fancy popping back for lunch,

hainman
    Free Member
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sounds and looks worth a wee trip, handy for Comrie too.

hainman
    Free Member

Aye,Comrie is progressing nicely too,Cracking big bike shop now and some new trails

Northwind

Comrie’s awesome, I think it gets a wee bit overlooked because it’s fairly short, and “xc” but it really packs it in and the riding’s ace. Not massively technical but so much going on.

hainman
    Free Member

the top red stuff is harder than most trail centres plus its a bit more blown out with the shite winter

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I stayed at Crieff with the family earlier in the year and did the trails above the hydro – ace! Easily a couple of hours worth and a couple of the off piste runs were crazy steep (for me!). Way better than I was expecting and combined with a trip to Comrie Croft would be a good day out. There must be an off road route more or less between each venue.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That there is, I’ve did a nice loop out of Comrie a couple of times up to loch turret, would be pretty easy to carry on a bit to creiff. It’s actually a really nice loop with ace views and feels more ‘big country ride’ than it actually is.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Good to know – cheers. Next time we’re up I’ll get the maps out.

iainc

Surprised at comments that Comrie isn’t very technical. My understanding is that Comrie ‘red’ is more akin to other ‘blacks’, bar Laggan. Certainly my own view is that it’s a pretty dark red, indeed one of my fave man made trails.

geoffj

My understanding is that Comrie ‘red’ is more akin to other ‘blacks’, bar Laggan

+1

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, I’d agree Iain, Comrie definitely slightly techier than most reds.

Asked a mate from Perth about Crieff trails last night, reckons they are really good too, although the guy that built them has in the last month got a job at Comrie. Comrie would really benefit from some fresh cut stuff too, if that’s what they have in mind.

Northwind

Ah, my comment on technicality was for the op’s dh/#enduro request rather than a “trail centre rating” or whatever, yes it is aboev the typical red/black xc imo.

MrGrim

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Strava is your friend.

Strava luddite. How do you pick a geographical place and view rides that have taken place there? Do you need premium? I normally only use Strava on my phone to record my own activities or see the activities of people I follow.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

tbh, the phone app isn’t the best for it, it works, but I find it’s better on a PC.

Go to segment explore, zoom in on an area, and take the wee slider so that it is only descent segments, then click on the segment, the date of say the KOM’s ride and you’ll see his ride. He may or may not have his GPX there, if he has, you can grab it and load it up on a device, or use summit like Strava GPX app to grab it.

The other way to do it is go ride the area, and while you are recording the ride on your phone, look at the satellite map and navigate to segments.

I’m sure there are better ways of doing it, but that’s how I do it, most of the time.

MrGrim

Thanks, that really helps. It’s the linking the segments to rides bits that I couldn’t get. I never record segments and can imagine that a lot of locals also don’t but it makes sense that as long as they hit one segment I can then track the full ride from there.

BoardinBob

‘m sure there are better ways of doing it

Trailforks app. Much better for finding segments live (assuming they’re on there)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bob, were you in the shire on Saturday?

I’ve had trail fork app for ages, I’ll actually need to try it at some point!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Enduro/Downhill in Stirling area’ is closed to new replies.