Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • Enduro World Series controversy
  • getonyourbike
    Free Member

Well, this might be Barel’s squeaky clean image going down the pan…

chrismac

Given that. Incident happened on the practice day I don’t see what advantage he got. If it happened on race day then DQ.

I also think that enduro should get rid of all outside assistance and riders should not be allowed to change tyres and various other bits for each stage. They should also have to take all their food and drink with then for the entire race If it is supposed to be more representative of what most of us o

wrecker
    Free Member

Greg Minnaar ?@GregMinnaar 14m

I love the sob story on @pinkbike. 3 of the 5 Enduro rounds you are accused of cheating…. Never smoke without fire!

Juicy!

portlyone

Some of the PB comments made out that all he was doing was driving from his accommodation to the trail.

I assume the organisers wanted the riders to only ride the course as practice and not session particular stages.

mrplow
    Free Member

Remember that the Syndicate have the ear of Chris Ball with Santa Cruz supplying bikes to Chris at a reasonable rate. Not that I am adding fuel to the fire 😆 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They should also have to take all their food and drink with then for the entire race If it is supposed to be more representative of what most of us o

Dunno, but I rarely take a full days water with me. 750ml bottle and make a note of where the streams are on the map if I’m out for more than 3 hours. I’ve got a camelpack, but even that rarely get’s filled, filled it weighs half as much as my road bike!

Changeing tyres seems a bit like cheating, but assistance with spares is OK in my book, to be uncompetative in a series because your mech broke 30s into the first stage would be unfair on the sponsors who muct invest tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) into the series. Maybe the solution is neutral service like road raceing?

wrecker
    Free Member

Chaps, lets not let the truth get in the way of some harmless character assassination eh?

chakaping
    Free Member

He only drove 1.5km apparently.

Why would a super-fit multiple world champion need to drive such a short way?

Was it up a steep hill?

vinnyeh

Cedric’s comments and the clip at 2:10ish onward…. sorry, no embedded linky, not youtube/vimeo.

Crankworx Les 2 Alpes.

LoCo
    Free Member

Cedric is a taking the mic. Shirley

I_Ache
    Free Member

I don’t think he is.

Northwind

aracer – Member

If there was no advantage to it, why on earth did he go to all the hassle of getting in his car?

To get to the start of the stages- he lives nearby. A convenience, but not a competitive advantage. If you’re driving from your house to ride a trail, do you drive near to the trail then park, or do you drive to somewhere a couple of miles away then ride there?

aracer
    Free Member

If you’re driving from your house to ride a trail, do you drive near to the trail then park, or do you drive to somewhere a couple of miles away then ride there?

That’s not a comparable situation – there’s a big difference between driving a bit further when you’re already in a car and choosing not to get in a car in the first place. If it was more convenient then that is clearly an advantage, whether that meant he was a little less tired or had a bit more time to do other things in his preparation (I’ve used a car when competing for similar reasons when I’d normally ride to where the event was).

kimbers

rules is rules
    barel broke them
    (hes also broken rules at one other round at least an gone unpunished)

if hed attended the rider briefing hed have known

chris ball has also stated that karim amor wont be allowed to race EWS because he tested positive for a masking agent

he sounds harsh but fair

(the fact that a lot of the cool kids on the circuit dont seem to like barel is something else)

jwt
    Free Member

I seem to remember Fabian riding ‘peak-less’ in a WC DH race after ‘everyone’ had agreed to ride with peaks attached, think that kind of thing doesn’t help going forward…….
    Shame, as he can really ride a bike and is always worth listening to when interviewed.

Northwind

aracer – Member

That’s not a comparable situation – there’s a big difference between driving a bit further when you’re already in a car and choosing not to get in a car in the first place. If it was more convenient then that is clearly an advantage,

How far away do you have to live from the trail before you’re allowed to drive there, then? If his house was 20 miles away would that be OK?

I_Ache
    Free Member

It wasnt 20 Miles away it was 1.5 kilometers, even I would ride that and I’m fat, lazy, unfit and slow. I would expect a world class athlete to ride 1.5k even if its up a big hill.

honourablegeorge

I_Ache – Member
    It wasnt 20 Miles away it was 1.5 kilometers, even I would ride that and I’m fat, lazy, unfit and slow. I would expect a world class athlete to ride 1.5k even if its up a big hill.

I think the punishment reflects that. He got a 5 min penalty, not the automatic DQ for shuttling. All riders were supposed to start in Whistler, he drove to the trail. Small violation, but a violation none the less – if he’d attended the rider briefing like everyone else, he’d have known.

Think it’s all fair enough – they could probably have DQ’d him by the letter of the law.

Northwind

So how many miles away would he have to live before you’d allow him to drive there instead of riding? (and do you think there’s anything in the rules about this?)

honourablegeorge – Member

I think the punishment reflects that. He got a 5 min penalty, not the automatic DQ for shuttling.

He got DQ’d in all but name- it’s like giving someone a 10 second penalty in the 100 metres.

But to put it another way… Since it wasn’t uplifting or shuttling, apparently the infringement is that you had to start from the race start to practice any stages. Was that specifically in the briefing? We don’t know. But that’s a weird enough rule that it needed to be properly in the rules, not just an addition at a voluntary briefing.

chakaping
    Free Member

Wouldn’t you be better off asking Chris Ball northwind?

kimbers

I think hes being made an example of northwind to stop the likes of the shuttling that was seen in the practice at the 1st round

well its worked its as high profile as you like and now everyone will know

maybe he wasnt the only one
    but the fact that hes got a rep as a bit of a cheater at previous rounds probably dint help him

from chris ball

Crankworx created a rule that outlined no outside assistance (including using a vehicle to assist) would be allowed during the event. This rule was further explained and clarified in a mandatory athlete’s breakfast scheduled on Friday morning and hosted by the Crankworx Whistler organisers. Riders who chose not to attend this briefing missed crucial information regarding course changes, details of shuttling and race specific information. We are not responsible for educating riders who choose to miss planned briefings.

aracer
    Free Member

So how many miles away would he have to live before you’d allow him to drive there instead of riding?

Further away than the point where they were supposed to ride from would probably be a good start.

Northwind

aracer – Member

Further away than the point where they were supposed to ride from would probably be a good start.

Fair point- but we’ll never know exactly what they were told and whether it was clear that practice had to start from the village, especially since the organisers keep talking about shuttling (which at the very least I think you’ve got to agree is open to interpretation) , and since it was so important that they didn’t bother to put it in the written rules and only announced it in a voluntary briefing. TBH I don’t understand how anyone can think that’s a good way to run an event… Rules need to be clear but unusual rules more so.

spawnofyorkshire

It must have been clear enough for every other rider in the event to abide by the rule

muddyfunster
    Free Member

spawnofyorkshire
    It must have been clear enough for every other rider in the event to abide by the rule

Nope. apparently there were several riders doing the same thing. They just made an example of Barel.

I think it’s a bit of a grey area and they overreacted, the punishment didn’t fit the crime. It was during practice, not the race itself and Barel would have been, in real world practical terms “stupid” to not do what he did. His accommodation was closer to the trails he was practicing than the lift.

There is a deeper subtext here though. A lot of the riders seem to still be smarting from Barel’s victory at the first round where he apparently used motor bikes to shuttle during midweek practice leading up to the event. This is what I believe put Peaty, Minnaar and Lopes’ nose out of joint. However, according to FB, many riders were already there before him, were already doing exactly that several days earlier so he was only evening the playing field for himself.

The Syndicate boys arrived later again, and couldn’t get the same practice. This is also apparently why Minnaar tried to hound dog Barel on several stages, to follow his lines, but by his own admission, Fabien was just much too fit and strong and he simply couldn’t keep up. Shuttles or not.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Wouldn’t you be better off asking Chris Ball northwind?

I think hes being made an example of northwind to stop the likes of the shuttling

Commas, apostrophes? Can you be DQed? 😉 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I seem to remember Fabian riding ‘peak-less’ in a WC DH race after ‘everyone’ had agreed to ride with peaks attached,

This is exactly the sort of shit that annoys me about the whole DH scene. More concerned with image than winning! If it’s about winning, and someone thinks they can gain an advantage by running an aero set up (Skinsuits, anyone?) then why not? Or, is it more important to look all of teh awsumz in your baggy flappy gnar pyjamas?

spawnofyorkshire

Nope. apparently there were several riders doing the same thing. They just made an example of Barel.

OK i’ll revise…

It must have been clear enough for the majority of riders to abide by the rule.

Were any of the other ‘big name’ riders accused of this as well? If not then it’s his own fault for not being at the rider briefing or having a representative there

kimbers

Or, is it more important to look all of teh awsumz in your baggy flappy gnar pyjamas?

Im sure theres an element of that, but its also important to keep sponsors happy or there would be no series

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Surely winning races would keep more sponsors more happy? (If it is about the competition and not the image, that is…)

Imagine if DH ski racers turned up on steezy twin tips with baggy trousers round their ankles a la nu-skool ski grom!

Speeder

I think those asking why he didn’t just ride the 1.5km are missing the point he made that the 99 is a highway and I would therefore assume to not be very cycle friendly.

I think Fab has just been slapped down by the cool kids on this one after years of pushing the envelope. He’s almost certainly not the only person to cut a pole here or there without pushing back up(see CG’s comments) or to have worn his full face on top of his head but he’s almost certainly the most high profile rider to have done so.

The EWS have at this point just got egg on their faces as no matter how you define it, there’s no way one man can “shuttle” and there’s minimal advantage to be gained from driving to the bottom of a trail.

Lifer
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Surely winning races would keep more sponsors more happy? (If it is about the competition and not the image, that is…)

But if they’re all wearing the similar things there’s no advantage/disadvantage and the ‘baggies’ (which aren’t all that baggy anymore) definitely look better for DH (imho).

Spectators are what’s important, for sponsors and for the event organisers. Won’t matter a jot how quick people are if no-ones watching. Seem to be plenty of people enjoying watching DH at the moment so I don’t thing the baggy/skins thing is worth bothering with.

peachos
    Free Member

Troy Lee Designs wouldn’t sell that many replica skinsuits, which is what the main concern with lycra in DH was…

WackoAK
    Free Member

Mark of this parish has been asking questions of Greg Minnar (with resposnes) on Twitter

kimbers

Minaars got it in for Barel!

maybe he does believe fabs been doping, maybe he just really doesnt like the guy!

Im always amazed at how the pros come back from serious inujries including Barel and laterly Gracia

tbh since armstrong and the exposure of systematic doping in road cycling Im suspicious of all athletes at the top level

LoCo
    Free Member

This is getting silly now, I read Greg’s original tweet as being ironic in part, and a number of the MTB media have taken it as a statement.

wrecker
    Free Member

Mark’s made himself look a bit silly there IMHO.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

This is exactly the sort of shit that annoys me about the whole DH scene. More concerned with image than winning! If it’s about winning, and someone thinks they can gain an advantage by running an aero set up (Skinsuits, anyone?) then why not? Or, is it more important to look all of teh awsumz in your baggy flappy gnar pyjamas?

Well if it really was all about winning (by virtue of being fastest rather than best looking), then they’d fit engines. Is there any differance between allowing engines and allowing skinsuits, both make you faster for less/same effort.

The rule is pretty simple, clothes have to be baggy (IIRC the test is a 1″ fold in the material at various points), and the bikes can’t have engines.

The whole thing was solved when Mojo turned up to the WC in Fort Willian in those black wet-look gimp suits which actualy made small children cry (as well as costing an arm and a leg and being even more aero than lycra).

wrecker
    Free Member

It has been deemed that the image is important for the success of the sport (which I agree with).
    The groms aren’t going to want to replicate a bunch of lycra clad perverts.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Enduro World Series controversy’ is closed to new replies.