Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • 'Enduro' style mudguards
  • Stevet1
    Free Member

You know the ones – the ones desperately trying not to be uncool mudguards. Now that the gloriously dry October has obviously given way to the rain sodden November I’m thinking about getting some – do they actually do owt though? Interested in keeping my bum dry and face relatively free from spray. Any recommendations or are they all much of a muchness?

scaled
    Free Member

mudhugger.

LoCo
    Free Member

Powa or Rockguardz are the best functioning ones around, pricey though, but will last.

Northwind

For a front, I don’t know if it’s enduro but the topeak shockboard’s still the best I’ve used by miles. And it’s not even that ugly. The fitting kit is terrible but 2 cable ties holds it on perfectly. After seeing epic mudguard clogging with fork arch mounted guards, at the EWS 9the dude in front of me had his rockguard funnel the mud so effectively, his wheel locked and he went over the bars!) I’m more convinced than ever tbh.

For little guards, like the bender fender, they’re all much the same really and fine for summer mud etc but a bit of a token effort come winter.

Still haven’t found a rear I like, will need to try again with the new bike

nickc

I’ve an “enduro guard” from RRP (sigh…) on the front which does a pretty good job of deflect spray from ones face, same as the neoprene wraps that you can get.

the rear I use is a muckynutz one that is quite long, but it only really stops your bum getting wet.

benpinnick

Mudhugger FTW!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the rear I use is a muckynutz one that is quite long, but it only really stops your bum getting wet.

This, a dose of MTFU, and a bit of innertube in the fork.

wombat

I’ve an “enduro guard” from RRP

I’ve got one of these, very good in summer, helpful in reducing the amount of facial splatter in winter.

Keeps the stanchions clear of mud in all but the absolutely works conditions so makes cleaning/maintenance of forks easier.

nickc

Yeah, I think it depends where you ride as well, My local area tends to be gritty and wet rather than clarty and sluggish when the weather rolls in, so the shorty guards are still pretty OK

philwarren11
    Free Member

I wouldnt ride without my DFender. Most people I know who ride round South Wales got them.

medoramas
    Free Member

Crud Racepac 29er and front Mudhugger for me – going strong for almost 2 years now!

I went out once in “being all cool” mode – leaving the plastic at home…

Never again!

iainc

mudhugger front race version comes out top in test in current MBR, if that means anything. I have the standard front one on order to see if it is better than mucky nutz bender fender and gut fender combo.

No enduro, just natural west of Scotland manky routes 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

I got a Shockboard on Northwind’s recommendation and it works so damned well!

LoCo
    Free Member

Powa or Rockguardz are the best functioning ones around, pricey though, but will last.

#riding condition dependent 😉

Thick sticky mud & speed you ride may cause issues with some designs, as mention by NW.

v666ern
    Free Member

mudhugger.

rOcKeTdOg

Mudhugger FR for true ride Like a WCDH winner & longer is better

kimbers

egads that shock doctor is ugly, like the old marzocchi ascerbis ones

but I imagine effective, hmmmm

jam-bo

is there a difference between the original mudhugger and the mudhugger race?

the original had a profile that followed the tire too close and therefore missed a load of spray that got thrown up and forward.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve just used one of the original Marsh Guards. It’s been on the bike forever. I’m tempted to try one of the mudhugger’s though, just to see if it’s better.

The rear one’s though. Wow. I’ve seen a couple out in the wild. They are pretty special looking.

No self respecting Enduroist (or biker) would be seen sporting one of those examples.

jam-bo

The rear one’s though. Wow. I’ve seen a couple out in the wild. They are pretty special looking.

No self respecting Enduroist (or biker) would be seen sporting one of those examples.

they are very effective though, don’t get in the way or move or rattle.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’d rather have a wet arse.

oldejeans
    Free Member

I love my mudhugger fr race. I think it compliments the bike

shaungero
    Free Member

Got some mudhuggers after recommendations from here and couldn’t be happier with them. Get asked regularly about them.

robware
    Free Member

Decathlon do front ones in a range of colours for £2.50.
    Black
    Blue
    Pink
    Orange
    White

The plastic is pretty sturdy.

superfli
    Free Member

I vary mine depending on conditions.
    If its wet mud then the Mudhugger is my fav.
    However, if its claggy mud then I will ditch the guards over the wheel and use a Gutfender/Crud catcher on the downtube. Not as good, but obviously dont clog.

On the back? I’m with HobNob on this. I’d rather get a wet back. I only use guards to stop mud in my eyes anyway

leftyboy
    Free Member

I use a Mudhugger and a Crud catcher on the front as I wear contact lenses, I wear clear glasses but they are useless in the rain IMHO. On the back I have a Crud Race Guard which keeps the worst off, I don’t care about a wet arse but I do like my rear light to be visible and the rear mudguards helps with that, I have a rear light clipped to my pack as well.

sirromj

Yeah I love getting a wet arse on long rides, nice knowing all that horse and dog shit is slowly working its way up my asshole.

postierich
    Free Member

Mudhugger best guards I,ve used and they do not move!
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/qu3pYW]10930873_10153059190831474_8698445552328329157_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

pipiom
    Free Member

Mudhugger for me

andylc
    Free Member

At the risk of becoming repetitive – Mudhuggers are the only truly decent mudguards in my opinion. They are lower profile then others, do not move, do not rattle and last forever.

iainc

I bought a rear Mudhugger that I have never fitted. Thinking about putting it on my Soul for winter mess – what’s the best seatstay protection process ? I have some biketart helitape, but its fairly thin. That, or duct tape, or insulating tape ? I’m thinking I will need a bit of bodging around the cable/hose lugs on the stays as well.

funkweasel
    Free Member

I have mudhuggers front and back. They look “ridiculous”, but they work and I don’t really care what I/they look like, because they work that well.

You may need to bodge things around the seatstays, but I haven’t done so -as a result it does slightly point to the right, but still covers the whole rear tyre. I may go at it with a heat gun to bend it a bit more. It’s just because it’s slightly outboard of the centre on the right hand side, where a cable goes. Or is it the left? I can’t remember. Anyway, I have some cable/hose running down the top of one of the seatstays and I could probably have done a better job of things.

One thing to watch, maybe is that you cut the cable ties as close as possible, or rotate them round so the cut end is pointing inwards, not outwards to catch your calves 🙂

iainc

thanks, yes, I will have same need to ‘mould’ it a bit, so will get some form of frame protection on before getting the heat gun out !

SirHC

Could you not use a rubber sleeved P-Clip and bolt them on?

Less chance of rubbing the frame and easier to remove?

iainc

^^^ now that is a good idea, goes off to google !

STATO
    Free Member

the rear mudhugger on my HT is solid and straight. I cut notches in it where the cable guides (disc hose guides) would interfere and put an extra hole in to secure the hose with a zip-tie, where i could no longer use the guide properly. Frame protection achieved through an invisiframe generic HT kit so was already protected, but with all the zip-tie slots used on the guard its solid anyway so shouldnt rub.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Thanks all, front mudhugger ordered.

rOcKeTdOg

what’s the best seatstay protection process ?

I use clear tape but old inner tube would give ultimate protection

funkweasel
    Free Member

Anyone who’s hacked their rear MH to get it to fit over cables/cable guides, would you mind posting a picture of how you’ve done it?

benp1

I’ve used a Zefal RM29 rear guard on my Solaris, which has been rock solid and very effective. No problem when going bikepacking either

IMO it looks MUCH better than the mudhugger, good value too

I have another on order for my El Mariachi. Only been using a fender bender on the front of my Solaris but interested to see what what 29er front options are good (my El Mariachi is rigid)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘'Enduro' style mudguards’ is closed to new replies.