• This topic has 49 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • 'Enduro' Riders / Racers – Is this a bum bag?
  • corundum
    Free Member

Photo of Miranda Miller 1/3 down the page – looks suspiciously like a bum bag (or for you americans out there a ‘fanny pack’) under the jersey. Or incredibly over stuffed pockets on a pocketed base layer or jersey?

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/race-day-two-ews-round-8-finale-ligure-italy.html

Curious as when glancing through these enduro photo montage’s very few riders seem to bother with a pack, some don’t even have a bottle on the bike. Now i’m no pro, but i do get a thirst on if riding hard, now some of the climbs these guys are doing on bikes that a more descent than ascent would have you gasping for a drink in that heat. Plus trail tools, spares for the inevitable puncture, blown chain etc?

Am i missing something?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sponsored by Spesh, so probably a SWAT vest/bibs.

SirHC

Specialized swat bibs: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/apparel/mountain-liner-pro-bib-shorts-with-swat/114219

The enduro/stumpjumper has a storage compartment inside the downtube. You can stash quite a lot of spares/tools on your bike.

The EWS has food/water stops at the ends/starts of the stages, so the riders arn’t having to be completely self sufficient for a days riding.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Yep, SWAT clothing. I got the bibs when they were on offer at Cyclesport. Really useful, nice bit of kit.

akira

I’ve got a morvelo base layer that has pockets, quite useful for shorter rides.

corundum
    Free Member

Ah okay, makes sense I guess. Those bibs look neat, although she seems to have a fair amount of kit stashed in bib-short pockets. I suppose manufacturers want there logos visible on the jerseys so riders tend to steer away from the packs as a sponsor coverage thing and personal comfort.

What about none – ‘spesh’ riders, i know Richie Rude, ran a pack in Finale but other races he didn’t seem to have anything other than a tube and a CO2 taped to the frame.

BoardinBob

Am i missing something?

Yes

There are feed stations on the course

Northwind

BoardinBob – Member

There are feed stations on the course

And better equipped riders to sponge off 😆

SirHC

What about none – ‘spesh’ riders, i know Richie Rude, ran a pack in Finale but other races he didn’t seem to have anything other than a tube and a CO2 taped to the frame.

Would imagine he was playing it safe and took more spares than normal to ensure he finished and secured the overall, similar to what Graves did in 2014.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think peaty and minaar both took packs, it’s OK somebody has some common sense though it might have had beer in it

chakaping
    Free Member

Is there anything enduro specific about bum bags?

Was thinking of getting one for certain rides.

thepodge
    Free Member

Seat pack > fixed to frame > pockets > half empty pack > bum bag.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is there anything enduro specific about bum bags?

Was thinking of getting one for certain rides.

Me too.

Struggle to find a decent saddle pack that doesn’t chafe reverb, Capra doesn’t have bottle mount holes, get pissed off with backpacks, just slightly wondering if I’ll get pissed off with a bumbag anaw*.

*I’m quite happy calling it a bumbag.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Ortileb do a nice saddle bag that doesn’t foul the seat post so can be run on a dropper. Tis what I use on two bikes. Spare tube, multitool, levers and some patches all in there easily. No rattles and waterproof.

BoardinBob

I’ve got the older version of this, but it’s brilliant.

http://eu.dakine.com/p/bike/technical-backpacks/hot-laps-pack-15l

chakaping
    Free Member

I wondered if bikey bumbags have any features to stop them ending up round your thighs on long descents, or something like that.

Not that that’s ever happened to me, it’s just the kind of thing I fear might.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That looks good Bob, but I’d like one with a bottle stash in it, that you can grab a bottle from on the move.

I don’t mind not having a drink on a cold night ride of say maybe 2 hours, but in the summer I struggle.

BFITH
    Free Member

Is this a bum bag?

I prefer the term: enduro-satchel 😀

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

been using a bumbag for around a year now – don’t really care what the haters say 😉

for sub 90 min rides i use the little pocket on it for keys and CO2 canister, and the bottle pouch for a tube, lever and tool. I can manage without a drink for 90 mins…

longer rides, up to 3 hours or so, i’ve a tube strapped on the frame, a storage ‘bottle’ (lezyne caddy or similar) for tools and gilet and bumbag with bottle and keys – it’s a running one from Nathan.

too much in there and i find them uncomfortable.

ads678

I wondered if bikey bumbags have any features to stop them ending up round your thighs on long descents, or something like that.

I’m sure I’ve seen one aimed a fell runners i think that has braces, can’t remember the make though.

BoardinBob

I did a big ride with my Dakine pack yesterday. it sits above my waist/ hips and never slides down

bruneep

I’m sure many on here don’t have a waist 😉

scotroutes

I’ve been riding with a bumbag for years. If it’s a good one then it stays put. I wore out my old Karrimor and replaced it with an Ortlieb which is great. Good fit, totally waterproof.

And it’s frikken’ lime green!

BoardinBob

😆

chakaping
    Free Member

Here we go…

Rode with a bumbag BITD of course, but that was when enduro was purely for motorbikes.

Northwind

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

Struggle to find a decent saddle pack that doesn’t chafe reverb,

I don’t know what brand mine is, it’s an ebay cheapie but there’s a few out there like it that fit with a rigid bracket to the saddle rail, so don’t touch the seatpost at all. Ideal.

Camelbak do a thing- don’t know what to call it- that’s basically a phone/bars/tool pouch, and a bottle holder, on a waist belt. I wouldn’t want to #enduro in it personally, it flaps too much with a bottle in, but it’s good for xc stuff, I hang it by the door and grab it on the way out to avoid kit procrastination

TheDTs
    Free Member

I use an Inov8 bumbag, also lime green.
    Good for shorter rides, all I do really..
    Takes everything I am likely to need. It’s not fixed to the bike so I can grab it and go on whichever bike I want to ride.
    Mine has an elastic cord so I can add layers on the back if I need to.

D0NK

I’m sure many on here don’t have a waist

meow.

and exactly what I was going to post.

I may dig out my >10yo enduro-satchel this winter. Saddlepack gets in the way of lights, the framebag I used last year was ok but rubbed off a shedload of paint.
    I used to really rate bumbags*, very useful and I couldn’t give a stuff about how uncool they were – it’ll be mildly amusing if enduro brings them back into fashion. But then I guess a new generation of riders are coming through who never tried them before, no idea of the naff factor and thought “hey that’s a good idea”

Are we going to get more mtb specific clothing with rear pockets aswell?

*still do but no bag is even better/less sweaty.

dragon
    Free Member

The EWS has food/water stops at the ends/starts of the stages, so the riders arn’t having to be completely self sufficient for a days riding.

Really? So this is moving more to downhill and less like a day out with mates. Before you know it the big brands will be demanding pit areas etc.

BearBack
    Free Member

Miranda looks to be wearing a bum bag rather than swat shorts.

I ride with a bum bag.
    It carries:
    A Jacket,
    A multitool
    mini pump
    co2 pump
    chain link
    Tire lever
    Tube (tyre) patch kit
    mini 1st aid kit (read: plaster and wipe)
    snack bar
    On adventure rides, add a baggie with cleats, bolts and spare star ratchet and more food

In full enduro style, a tube is taped to my frame

When I exploded my mech hanger on Top Of the world, I also managed to squeeze my rear mech and chain in.
    its way more comfortable than any back pack, stays where its supposed to and slim enough that it sits under my jersey if I’m feeling a bit self conscious 😉

This bag, bladder removed.. at it was $10 from the consignment store 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t know what brand mine is, it’s an ebay cheapie but there’s a few out there like it that fit with a rigid bracket to the saddle rail, so don’t touch the seatpost at all. Ideal.

See, my OCD wouldn’t allow me to have maybe 40 quid worth of trail tool, Co2 tool etc in a cheapie that I can’t see, falls off and it;’s not really cheap any more.

Northwind

nobeerinthefridge – Member

See, my OCD wouldn’t allow me to have maybe 40 quid worth of trail tool, Co2 tool etc in a cheapie that I can’t see, falls off and it;’s not really cheap any more.

Lezyne Pod might do you?

This is the one I have, I could recommend it but I can’t find a UK supplier
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEDAL-NATION-Medium-Wedge-Seat-Saddle-Bag-QUICK-RELEASE-MOUNT-MTB-Road-BLACK-/262372545530?hash=item3d169f53fa:g:QaMAAOSwjwlXBQdU

Mine was a fiver but it’s actually been great, if it was waterproof like my ortlieb it’d be close to perfect. For the GT7 this year it had a fatbike tube in it, that’s service above and beyond what you normally ask of a racy seatpack 😆

chakaping
    Free Member

I can go with bum bags for enduro, but saddlebags are a step too far.

legend
    Free Member

Just blame it on moving to CoG of the bike too high – instant saddle-bag removal justification

superfli
    Free Member

I use a saddlebag, but a very small saddle bag. Leyzene Road Caddy. It doesnt foul the seatpost and it doesnt rattle about or wobble. Granted, it wont fit much, but I only need it to fit my multi tool, CO2, tyre lever. Waterbottle on bike, phone+snack in my pocket.
    I’ll take a backpack if on long rides with no fill stations though.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s not really an aesthetic objection (OK, it is a bit).

But I used to use a saddlebag for years before Camelbaks came along. It made a right racket, the contents got shaken to bits and would all get absolutely filthy.

And I sometimes put a light there, like DONK.

D0NK

It made a right racket,

I had a bushwhacker bag bitd, ones I’ve used lately are quieter

the contents got shaken to bits and would all get absolutely filthy.

this is an issue, I had a mercifully long run with no issues on my commuter, chalk in puncture repair kit atomised, spare disc pads had a high shine on them and spare tube had a hole “sawn” in it from the valve. Bag is now well packed with rags between problem items, no rattle and everything seems to be holding up better.

Andy-R

When I’m in Greece I rarely use a Camelbak, much preferring a bottle and either my old “Clover” bumbag, a relic of my trials days or my nearly as old “Pikiona Bar” bumbag, a relic of many a holiday in Skala, Kefallonia.
    Neither are a problem on long, out of the saddle, descents except I find myself checking that they’re still there and haven’t fallen off, so they must be comfortable.

The only time that I use any sort of backpack is when I’m doing a long fireroad climb followed by a long technical descent. Then I’ll chuck my pads in the backpack for the climb and put them on at the top – I still use a bottle though.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I use a Nike Lean running wastepack under my jersey. It’s really small and everything stretches including the wasteband, so you don’t notice it. Fits a tube, one tyre lever, a key and a contact lens. Tool and CO2 canisters go in pockets.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Picking up on the comments earlier about enduro turning into downhill – Just watched the last EWS round highlights and the refueling stops must have been pretty infrequent relative to the riding as a lot of the top / serious boys are wearing back packs: RR, Sam Hill and a couple of others I didn’t recognise.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘'Enduro' Riders / Racers – Is this a bum bag?’ is closed to new replies.