Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Enduro – Keeping stuff on the bike or about your person??
  • nbirniejnr
    Free Member

I am attending my second endure at Ae in a coupe weeks and am struggling to decide whether to put my stuff on the bike or in a back pack. the last race I did I had everything on my back. Water/tubes/first aid kit/full face and I was ruined by the end of the weekend. I am thinking water on my back and tools/spares on/around the bike!. any suggestions

SirHC

Doesn’t sound like a lot to be carrying around on your back, unless there is 3 litres of water, if so, I’d be splitting the water between a bottle and the hydration pack.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

If I ‘have’ to race with a backpack, I probably wouldn’t bother. So, water & as much on the bike for me as possible & everything else stuff into a roadie jersey under a baggy top.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

What works for some may not work for others but this is what I do. Hope it sparks some ideas for you:

On short races –
    – Bottle in a cage + mini pump next to it.
    – Spare tube, levers, small multitool with a chainbreaker, spare link and patches in an Ortileb saddle pack (doesn’t foul dropper posts)
    – bars, gels, phone, car keys etc. stashed in short or jersey pockets (SWAT stuff is pretty good or just regular “roadie” jerseys)

On longer races I add a small bladder back pack and stuff a banana and a few extras in with the water.

If it looks like rain, I’ve got a small stuff pack waterproof that nicely straps into the corner between the top and seat tube.

I figure in a race situation, there isn’t much point in carrying first aid. If pushed, you can improvise with other kit but there are usually marshals and others around who can help a lot more than a sling, a bandage and a few plasters.

nbirniejnr
    Free Member

I think I prefer the idea of the short race idea Paul, with 2l of water on my back with the gels/keys etc I really don’t like the idea of keeping things in my pockets, you would understand if you seen my first race!! I had a top peak saddle pack and bust it off last weekend riding a dropped posts over some techy bits!!

BoardinBob

I am attending my second endure at Ae in a coupe weeks and am struggling to decide whether to put my stuff on the bike or in a back pack

If it’s like the past 2 years at Ae, and it probably will be, you’ll be passing past the car park 2-3 times so plenty of time to stock up on food and water. Personally I’ll be doing it with a bottle on my bike and a fanny/enduro pack round my waist.

nbirniejnr
    Free Member

Nothing beats experience cheers boardinBob 😀 whilst on about Ae do you know if there’s onsite camping?.

BoardinBob

Should be. In the field where “the elevator” is

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

always carry my stuff in camlbak, never had any issues maybe your carrying too much? I look at the water – food stops on the master map and carry accordingly. Most enduro’s you don’t need much

Personally I don’t put anything on the bike. I often see loads water bottles, tools, tubes etc strewn over the trail during races. So everything is zipped in.

legend
    Free Member

What do you usually do when just out for a ride? Also, if you’re wanting to wear a full-facer you’ll still need a way to carry a second helmet, so going to need the pack anyway

cokie

I always strap everything to the bike. Lots of Velcro strips and imagination.
    I manage to attach:
    – Pump & multitool to water bottle cage
    – Tube, tyre leaver, chainlink & zipties to a space in the frame.
    – Gels & bars to any available space on the frame, often with tape to rip them off

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Also, if you’re wanting to wear a full-facer you’ll still need a way to carry a second helmet…

I do see people doing this but I’ve never felt the need. I guess my helmet is ‘full on’ full face; it’s a Deviant 2 so lots of vents. If it gets really hot on the transitions; take the cheek pads out and loop them under the goggle strap. I wouldn’t race a stage with the pads out but the helmet still works and sits snuggly /securely on my head with the strap done up.

A lot of people seem to use the Bell Super or the Met version with the removable chin guard. Looks like you can just loop that through a pocket / strap with a bit of imagination – don’t know for certain though, never tried.

I’d recommend giving bagless a go. I used to carry a backpack everywhere with all the ‘essentials’ in but have been really enjoying the ‘freedom’ of riding without one.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve raced & just ridden in a proper FF a few times now – with a D3 you can take the cheek pads out & just stick them under the goggle strap – they only velcro & popper in to place so it’s seconds to do.

It’s fine on the transitions like that.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

I meant to type “…isn’t a ‘full on’ full face”, btw.

trauty
    Free Member

co2 inflator and multitool with chaintool in shorts pocket , chain link taped to frame , tubeless tyre repair kit taped to frame , water bottle on bike , few torq energy bars in pockets . no backpack. water refill from a stream in forest and one coffeine energy booster gel for final stage.

nosedive
    Free Member

I either go one way or the other. If its short, or i know i am passing the van i use a bottle + inflator, tube, gels and tool in a frame bag that sneakily fits in one of the frame spaces on my spesh enduro, or if its a longer 5 + stage enduro and i know its not coming back to the car park i take everything off the frame and use a camelbak. I hate having a pack on but i cant do a 3 hour loop on just a bottle and bits

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Enduro – Keeping stuff on the bike or about your person??’ is closed to new replies.