• This topic has 24 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 'ENDURO' helmets the don't fool the heid?
  • legend
    Free Member

Used to have a Giro Hex (barely ENDURO by today’s standards) and really liked it, found it cool all the time even when others were wringing out their sweaty helmet pads. Then destroyed it in a headplant and replaced it with a ###### #########* and find it really hot if the temperature is above even a handful of degrees.

So after having sweat dripping into my eyes when out today I’m thinking about swapping. Anyone find that any of the current offerings are much better/worse than the others? The IXS Trail looks well vented, Giro Montano maybe another one? On the other hand, not heard great things about Bells and the new POC

*redacted due to bro deal

andrewndy
    Free Member

New bluegrass helmet is very well ventilated. Can’t remember the name of it.

jam-bo

Montaro is very nice and likely to replace my hex fairly soon.

legend
    Free Member

Gah, fool = boil. Stupid fat fingers

Had forgotten about Bluegrass. Remember seeing something that looked comparable with the IXS. Shall have a look

Edit: on second thoughts, I don’t think I can get on with that styling http://www.bluegrasseagle.com/en/products/helmets/golden-eyes-hes

davosaurusrex

Scott Stego is pretty well vented,much better than the Troy Lee A1 it replaced. Wish the visor was adjustable though.

lardman
    Free Member

I rode a Giro Zen for years and, whilst not the most ventilated of helmets, I thought it not overly hot. After cracking it while shutting it in the car boot, the replacement was an IXS trail. It’s not hotter than the Giro, I reckon it might even be better ventilated.

Do try one first tho’, as they size up a little differently to other helmets.

Great lid tho’.

Northwind

I really like my Fox Striker- light, and not hot- but it doesn’t have quite the back-of-head coverage of some of the competition. I’ve been wearing a Sweet Protection Bushwhacker a lot recently, very nice hat but I’d just kind of got used to sweating, today I wore the Striker and what a difference it makes.

andyl
    Free Member

Usually ride in a hex, despite the large holes I never found it particularly cool.

Wanted a bell super but ended up picking up one of the cheaper bells in bright green when they were £20 at halfords. Really liked the fit so picked up a second. Used it out in Garda and been doing 25-35 mile rides with lots of climbing over the last few weeks and nothing but praise for it. Utter bargain for what it cost.

I could be tempted to get a super for the slightly cooler looks and camera mount.

Always thought the fox helmets looked good coverage and cool but never tried one. I have come to the conclusion I don’t have a giro head, they all make me look like a mushroom but they are the default brand you find in most stores so I stuck with them for years.

fergal
    Free Member

I usually avoid gear threads, but i’m going to spread the love, the urge “all mountain” comfortable and well vented, great helmet.

stewartc
    Free Member

Ride in a tropical climate and have found the following to be suitable for hot weather riding, the 661 Recon (still good), 661 EVO AM and the Bell Super, all well ventilated though I do find after 8 months or so the velcro fittings for the liners start to come loose on all of them.

dreednya

Bontrager Lithos is good, I’m a real sweat head but the “Bontrager’s “NoSweat,” channeled helmet padding, which does a good job of keeping sweat from cascading into your eyes” seems to work really well. Have ridden it a few rides now and expected sweat to drip down my glasses and it hasn’t

rhayter

The IXS Trail RS is indeed a well-vented lid and not stupidly expensive. Specialized Ambush is very well vented, too.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Urge all mountain. Really well vented and with the gangsta padded at the front it soakes up any sweat and stops it dripping on your nose.

pickle
    Free Member

I recently bought one of these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/7-idp-m2-helmet/rp-prod128140

Fits really well and nicely vented

z1ppy

Not sure what youve heard about Bell helmets to be unimpressed, I bought a Bell Super cause it fit my head, unlike the giro xar I had thought would replace my old Giro zen (their new Montaro looks nice).. and would happily buy another.
    Uvex and Kask are normally overlooked (or not often mentioned), but have some nice looking helmets in their ranges

ichabod
    Free Member

If you like the Hex why not just buy another?

chakaping
    Free Member

Urge All Mountain here too – feels cool enough to me.

No tightening mechanism apart from the strap though, so it needs to fit right to begin with.

PS: I only looked at this thread to find out what the hell the title meant, great clickbait!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

The cheap green Halfords-bought Bell is the Stoker. It is nowhere near as well ventilated as the Super (I have both) and I wouldn’t recommend it if you are hot of head.

legend
    Free Member

ichabod – Member

If you like the Hex why not just buy another?

Definitely an option. Wasn’t the best fit I’ve ever had and it’s an old design now so keen to see what might work now.

z1ppy – Member

Not sure what youve heard about Bell helmets to be unimpressed

That they’re pretty warm

legend
    Free Member

pickle – Member

I recently bought one of these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/7-idp-m2-helmet/rp-prod128140

Fits really well and nicely vented

First time I’ve seen one in non-mental colours – might be a good shout to try

benp1

There’s a review in the latest ST mag, the Kask Rex was rated pretty high for breathability

z1ppy

z1ppy – Member
    Not sure what youve heard about Bell helmets to be unimpressed

That they’re pretty warm

[/quote]

OK, I wouldn’t suggest it has the most vents, but didn’t spend last summer thinking it was any worse than any other helmet I’ve worn.
    Though TBH I worry more about fit, than venting.

chrismac

the spesh ambush looks well vented

legend
    Free Member

z1ppy – MemberThough TBH I worry more about fit, than venting.

Likewise, but when I’ve gone from no issues every to sweat in the eyes, in the space of a day, then I’ll be looking elsewhere. Fit suddenly became less of a thing when I couldn’t see where i was going.

benp1 – Member

There’s a review in the latest ST mag, the Kask Rex was rated pretty high for breathability

Yup, got the review, there were a few notable absentees

andyl
    Free Member
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘'ENDURO' helmets the don't fool the heid?’ is closed to new replies.