Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Enduro Expert…..terrible at climbing!
  • Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Right,

2015 Enduro Expert
    Size Medium
    650B wheels
    11 speed
    Cane Creek shock

Rides downhill absolutely great. When trying to get it uphill the back end seems just to dig right in and is unusually sluggish. Nowt to do with lack fitness before you start! Just very bad at going uphill. The shock is set up according to the guidelines.

I’m lost, any ideas?!?!

Ta!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Why do you think the guidlines are right?
    Dig in? Do you mean grip or sag/bounce?
    Does it feel active?
    are you out the saddle?
    is this always, fire roads, tech climbs?

momo

What tyres?

i also found that I needed to vary a fair bit from the recommended setting for my bike when setting up the CCDB inline on my banshee, standard settings seemed really wallowy and felt like it was holding you back.

Trimix
    Free Member

Sag too much ?
    Front ring too small causing the rear to be pulled below the pivot point as you pedal ?

I would ignore the guidelines. Change the spring rate and fiddle with the settings. Even your front forks may be upsetting the feel – are they too slack ?

kayla1
    Free Member

Seat angle- try pushing the seat forward on the rails slightly to steepen it up a little. My FS is terrible uphill despite what the sales bumf said. One person’s ‘good’ is another person’s ‘terrible’, after all. It’s good pointing down though, and I don’t mind the push back up 😀

PJM1974
    Free Member

Presumably, you’ve had the bike for some time so when you say that it’s “unusually sluggish”, you mean the bike isn’t climbing as well as it has done previously?

Is it a case of your weight shifting backwards as you climb, causing wallow? Might be as simple as adding air to the shock and removing some air from the fork?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I suspect a careful fiddle with the suspension settings would help, as would a change in how you pedal.
    Sit and spin in a lower gear will work better than gurning and mashing a high gear. (apologies if you already do this).
    Plus, its a 160mm enduro bike, its never gonna be that great at climbing.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

the base tune settings on the cane creek website are a useful starting point but your favorite tune may vary. If that doesn’t work the shock may need a service. Likewise for the front shock. Also check tyre pressures and wear.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If that doesn’t work the shock may need a service.

or replaced before it chews itself to bits…(repeat until they give you a RS)

beano68
    Free Member

I’ve fitted an oval chain ring on my spesh enduro and its completely transformed uphill climbing

kayla1
    Free Member

As opposed to the downhill kind… 😉

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Tyres are fine as is the pressure. It feels like im towing a 10kg weight. Ill explore the wallowing a bit more, but it used to be reasonable at getting up hill.

Momo, you could be on to something there.

Cheers folks.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I would go for seat position / height.
    I recently found my commuter bike had become really hard work to ride. To the point where I thought something was dragging. Then I realised the saddle felt low and I seemed to be using my muscles out of there normal power range (if that makes sense) It felt really inefficient. I put the saddle up and its fine and back to normal now. It could be too far back or forward on its rails or set too low
    You obviously wouldn’t notice this on the down hills which backs up what you are saying.

traildog
    Free Member

Your brake isn’t rubbing slightly is it?

BoardinBob

2016 Enduro Elite 650b here with the Monarch

Absolutely no climbing problems

Tracey

Mine is set up the same as this and I have no problems climbing with it.

http://www.canecreek.com/products/suspension/dbinline/base-tunes

Tyres are Butcher/ Purgatory at 25psi

Trimix
    Free Member

Perhaps its not the bike. Been eating too many pies recently ? 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’d it an inline cane creek? Maybe is blown. They’ve got a little bit of a reputation.

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Tracey, brilliant, i’ll double check that when i get home.

Trimix, there’s always one! 😉

Garry_Lager

Have a tinker but I wouldn’t expect to see big changes. Recent enduro bikes are so good in general that people get a bit over-excitable, so you read bobbins on here that they climb amazingly well. That just translates as ‘not quite as shite uphill as you might think.’

I have a jekyll, fwiw, which is generally rated as a strong climber and pedaler, in enduro terms, due to the dual setting dyad shock. It’s not bad, but still hard-work and slow compared to xc bikes.

dmorts

Wheel bearings worn/knackered?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I would go for seat position / height.

I’d go for this – has the seatpost slipped? Even 10mm or so can make a big difference.

gothandy

Are you a stomper? I found a smaller front ring with a spinning style worked best with my Enduro 29. That said it was never a great climber.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

1. Take bike back to where you bought it from.
    2. Complain that the shock isn’t working correctly.
    3. Shop speaks with Specialized who, with no quibbles, agree to replace with a Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3.
    4. You collect the bike a few days later and live happily ever after.

😀

Genuinely though, take it back, complain the shock isn’t working correctly and Specialized will swap it out for a Rockshox Monarch

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Enduro Expert…..terrible at climbing!’ is closed to new replies.