• This topic has 29 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by gwurk.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Enduro capable of DH?
  • jimbocube
    Free Member

Hi All, could do with some urgent help please. My 15 yr old nephew got into downhill and jumping a few years back. His bikes so far have been a Giant Reign (was excellent but quite heavy) and then last year bought a SS Intense. However after a summer of jumping the SS is falling apart and going to be expensive to repair apparently. Last week he did his first Enduro which he enjoyed apart from riding a DH bike up hill. So now he fancy’s an Enduro bike BUT my sister is worried that it won’t cope with the DH part, which he does most weekends in the summer. Budget would be circa £2500.
    He’s looked at this so far but US based:
    https://www.diamondback.com/mission-pro-4582
    So is there a bike that does both DH and Enduro or is he now at a stage where he needs to have 2 bikes? I am assuming that the geometry is different between the 2 too. I’m more XC so not sure about other bikes. Cheers for help.

jam-bo

sam hill does alright on a nukeproof mega…

kayak23

YT Capra.
    Excellent value for money and plenty of travel.

Most ‘Enduro’ bikes will cope with dh riding but are obviously not what you’d choose if you’re a serious racer or unless your name is Sam Hill.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Worth buying a (much cheaper) jump bike if that’s what he does all Summer?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Any good 160/170mm will for most UK stuff

chakaping
    Free Member

Have a look at the Radon Swoop 170, should be spot-on for his needs and in budget.

You could even build him one up from a nice secondhand frame (which may or may not be my advert)…
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2231958/

jimbocube
    Free Member

Thanks for the quick response guys, please keep them coming as he may need to buy S/H so as many recommended options will help.

Thinking Nukeproof would be a good start possibly.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve been rattling around on the base model of these
    https://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCCatalog.asp?ActionID=67174912&PBCATID=3044348
    Great value and solid

legend
    Free Member

yay for examples of professional riders that did a race on their Enduro bike

Yes it’ll work, no it won’t be as good as a DH bike, yes anything will likely last longer than an Intense.

Would suggest spare wheels and tyres for DH days. These are the areas that’ll take the primary kicking on fast and rough tracks.

Northwind

Every time I look at pinkbike it seems awash with quality, fairly recent 26 inch dh bikes, I’d be putting some attention there. You have to be careful buying used dh bikes, often people will wear them out then punt them on and if you go back more than a few years you can end up with geometry that looks like something off a modern trailbike (my enduro bike today is longer than any of my dh bikes were, and about as slack)

On the same note, my enduro bike today is better for DH than some DH bikes you’ll see at races and uplifts. And it’s built solid, too, not bombproof but I don’t stress taking it to fort bill or whatever. But it wasn’t cheap, to get something that can do all that. Honestly 2 decent bikes could make more sense than one kick-ass bike.

(and Legend’s advice is spot on, wheels and tyres are the one place you can’t compromise imo, pedalling big strong wheels and dualplies is misery but you want that toughness and grip for dh- I have 2 sets)

prawny

I’d say the Nukeproof is the most obvious as it’s been proven at the highest level but most of the 160+mm travel bike would be up to UK DH, especially if you were sensible with component choices.

Someone one the Forces DH Champs last year on an Aeris didn’t they?

jam-bo

yay for examples of professional riders that did a race on their Enduro bike

6th at the world champs is a bit more than ‘did a race’…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

On the same note, my enduro bike today is better for DH than some DH bikes you’ll see at races and uplifts. And it’s built solid, too, not bombproof but I don’t stress taking it to fort bill or whatever. But it wasn’t cheap, to get something that can do all that. Honestly 2 decent bikes could make more sense than one kick-ass bike.

I’d say my Commencal Origin linked above is up there as good value and spec where it’s needed and honestly feels as good as some older DH bikes, not as good in the mega rough stuff in the bike parks but will hold it’s own on a lot of UK stuff.

Edit….
    For the above Sam on track made every line, missed every hole, caught every backside etc. he rode that like a champ. His other comments stand though – he was used to his Enduro bike and some of the tracks were damm hard that they were racing EWS on

chakaping
    Free Member

A late-model Orange Patriot might be worth a look, with some offset bushings fitted.

Loved mine didn’t feel far off a DH bike with 180mm coil suspension both ends and it pedalled quite well up hill.

The seat tubes were all short too IIRC, so he could probably get a decent reach by sizing up.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What’s actually broken on the Intense?

Unless the frame has actually cracked then surely it’s just a maintenance issue and whatever he get’s will be just as worn out this time next year? Even a full suspension service and new frame bearings is only going to be <£500 at shop rates.

I’m 31 and I can’t envision scrapping a bike that regularly, let alone something that expensive!

I’m not one to criticise people’s parenting usually, but it sounds like this is his 3rd really good bike in as many years, maybe teach him some maintenance rather than continually thrown new bikes at the kid? At his age I had a Saracen (of the bad Halfords Hi-Ten variety not a nice CrMo one) which needed the hubs rebuilding every fortnight in the winter.

kimbers

Kona have a budget version of the old 153 out for 2018, lower spec, but good enough for enduro & very at home on DH

or look for a 2017 one on sale

or even 2016
    https://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/79628/Kona_Process_153_2016_Bike_Matt_Black_Gloss_Green_Medium?gclid=Cj0KCQjwgIPOBRDnARIsAHA1X3QKwQsxiuljaEjcwURrrDJg4SFMnLrriKwKgjbekUcDK-_pb1Nh2x0aArYXEALw_wcB

jimbocube
    Free Member

I’m not one to criticise people’s parenting usually, but it sounds like this is his 3rd really good bike in as many years, maybe teach him some maintenance rather than continually thrown new bikes at the kid? At his age I had a Saracen (of the bad Halfords Hi-Ten variety not a nice CrMo one) which needed the hubs rebuilding every fortnight in the winter.

FYI he hasn’t ever had a new bike before – the Giant Glory and the SS Intense were both well used 2007 models.
    The cost of repair on the SS Intense is over £700 due to the parts no longer being produced – apparently – although presumably he could have cheaper forks than that…. – not worth it when there are other problems too.
    The Giant was sold in good order – because it weighed the same as a small elephant !

Thanks for the advice everyone

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Kona Process 153 might be one to look at? Granted it’s not the lightest Enduro bike out there but I believe they are very tough and the geometry should be alright for some DH stuff

mehr
    Free Member

What about a Voltage? This https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2238923/ on Pinkbike looks pretty good

joefm

Where does he ride?

You should be able to get a specialized enduro s/h.

Then just change tyres over for DH racing.

FWIW my enduro was longer and slacker than my old DH bike.

deadkenny
    Free Member

A lot of Enduro bikes these days are what DH bikes were a few years back, except for the lack of dual crown. All depends “how” DH it’s going to be. Riding DH trails, no worries. Could do it on a hard tail 😉 https://instagram.com/p/BZEayNEn2aT/

gwurk
    Free Member

Sounds like the real problem here is that no one is maintaining the lads bikes regularly and unless that changes he’ll quickly ride anything mummy buys into the ground anyway whether it be an Ednuro or a DH bike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah think I did about 4 on the HT when they had that cat at pearce, was good for my general riding though, heap more time on general trail bikes with big forks and tyres. The Meta feels a lot better than all of those and I can pedal it up hills

komainu
    Free Member

Specialized enduro EVO if he wants more descending capability than the enduro.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Where does the lad ride?. Frinstance, i wouldn’t fancy seeing how long a 160mm bike would last riding FW ad nauseum, But perfect for inners dh.

jimbocube
    Free Member

Thanks for the good advice.

To answer a few questions:
    He has saved up and bought these bikes himself and have not been bought for him. The Giant didn’t break and was sold on, just too heavy. The Intense has damaged forks so would need replacing and various other things that make it better not to through more money at it. It will probably become a build project in the future as the frame is ok or will just sell the frame.
    He’s hoping to go on an Alpine holiday next year so wants something more up to date and capable of covering all the basis.
    Regarding maintenance, he’s learning but he rides with no fear and therefore accidents happen and things break whether you are a good mechanic or not!
    Bottom line – who doesn’t want a new bike! N+1 obviously.
    Cheers

joebristol

If the intense is truly mangled, then for a bike on a budget that can handle both elements that is £2500 or less and has to be new then direct supply companies are likely to be the best bet. YT Capra or Radon Swoop seem ideal candidates.

ads678

My mates just bought a Cnayon Strive and reckons it better than his DH bike, a Canyon Torque.

But then another mate just bought a Canyon Sender for about 2.5k from the sale bit of the website.

My mates like Canyons…

legend
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    6th at the world champs is a bit more than ‘did a race’…

You do realise he was far from the first to race on an Enduro bike? I think the point you are trying to make adds more to my arguement anyway

gwurk
    Free Member

£2500 to spend on a bike and an Alpine holiday in the summer? Some paper round. 😉 No wonder the lad has no time to maintain his bike. 🙂
    Plenty Enduro bikes to choose from for that money though.

Ok so the Intense needs a new fork?
    seeing as it’ll be a long travel 26″ fork. £200 Should get you an older second hand Lyrik etc. in decent condition.
    What are the “various other things” it needs?
    Might be worth sorting it out so he still has a bike with a DH build instead of trashing his nice new enduro bike. All in it might well be cheaper than a spare set of DH wheels/tyres for the new bike with.
    Even budget New 11spd etc. parts are expensive. 2007 drivetrain parts are dirt cheap.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Enduro capable of DH?’ is closed to new replies.