Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Enduro bike requirements
  • matther01
    Free Member

Would my 140/120mm fs be enough for an enduro event? I seem to see 150mm being the norm (at least in all the mags).

I was hoping to try the dyfi in May.

Also, does anyone else know what other non-competition endures there are and where this year?

legend
    Free Member

Isn’t a non-competition Enduro just going out for a bike ride?

120/140 is fine, folk do them on all sorted of bikes. I raced Innerleithen on 120/100 last season

matther01
    Free Member

I think the organisers do all the timings and routes etc and you can see if it’s for you or not (that’s my understanding)

shifter
    Free Member

Ride what you like. There’ll be hardtails there I’m sure.
    150-140 = naff all!

Dyfi fills up quick I’ve heard.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Be careful what you understand when you see the word “Enduro”. Things like the Dyfi Enduro are more long distance XC/trail rides, similar to the Chainreacion Marathons. They still have some technical sections but there will be a lot of pedalling so something light with 100 – 140mm travel would do the trick.

European style “Enduro”‘s are more DH orientated events such as Megavalanche, where a 150mm+ travel bike thats light and efficient enough to pedal are useful.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Ah, just seen the note on the front page of the Dyfi…

Whats in a name? OK, so with the emergence events like the brilliant new Gravity Enduro series we are not, strictly speaking an enduro, because we do not include timed sections with-in the route. But, back when we started doing this there was no other event using enduro in the title, and, as a lot of the sections used in the Dyfi event are on motorcycle enduro tracks it seemed like a good name. Its been around long enough, we wont be changing it anytime soon, if theres a problem with that feel free to find a forum somewhere to vent your spleen.

dan45a
    Free Member

I did the last dyfi gravity enduro on a 140/127mm full sus, was fine for pretty much all of it, there some brief moments when I wished I was on my bigger bike but overall it was fine. More importantly Iearned that flat pedals should be used instead on SPD as the starts were tricky to clip in and get going.

The linking stages were pretty long so a lighter bike was the way to go. I’ll prob enter it again this year on the same bike unless someone wants to give me a yeti sb66c, then I’d happily pedal that around 🙂

Northwind

I’ve seen folks racing innerleithen enduros on, well, everything really. Cambers and Anthems and Fuels and some racy XC hardtails, and downhill bikes. Travel is all relative, angles etc are just as important, and the rider o’course. I use a big 160/120mm bike but really the travel’s not what makes it good.

For the dyfi not-enduro and the likes, sounds like your bike could be bang on.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Enduro bike requirements’ is closed to new replies.