Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Enduro 29 shock upgrade, mounting issues
  • sideshow
    Free Member

In the process of swapping my fox float for a monarch plus, I noticed the monarch doesn’t fit the yoke on the bike…

…unless I remove the yoke, turn it upside down, then go out to buy a shorter bolt as the threaded socket on the rock shox is shallower than the one on the fox meaning I can’t do it up properly.

Is this (invert yoke + get different bolt) the right thing to do, or am I missing something, e.g. that I need a different yoke?

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Just to confirm, you’ve got the right version of the Monarch Plus. They do a specific version for the Enduro 29. The Enduro 26 and 650b won’t fit.

sideshow
    Free Member

That’s an astute question, but it says Enduro 29, 216×57 on the box and it looks the same length as the one it’s replacing.

While I’m asking these things, what’s that second bolt hole on the yoke end of the shock for? You don’t have a hole then in normal shocks.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kirky72
    Free Member

I had the same issue when I fitted my monRch then found the spacer/washer that should in with your spare seals etc under the box inner.

The washer shortens the amount of thread through from the bolt and tightens it all up the way it should be.

I added a offset bushing for a little more slackness and lower bottom brackets and it’s improved handling whilst having no noticeable negatives for climbing, not tat I noticed on a 30 mile day around coed y Brenin anyway.

sideshow
    Free Member

<checks box/> alas no spacer present but if that’s how it’s done presumably I can just get some washers on there right?

kirky72
    Free Member

It’s not in with the taco blade and cable fasteners etc you got with the bike is it. I’m not sure if washers will suffice.

Found this which may help.

Originally Posted by Preston67
    Just make sure to find the thick washer in the little bag to put underneath the bolt that connects the yoke to the shock, the threaded hole in the Monarch is shorter and you need this spacer/washer in there. Its not really spelled out in any instructions and its easy to overlook. Use some locktiteon this bolt if its not already coated, and don’t be afraid to put the yoke in the vise and snug it down good, as this can loosen up during riding and you may not notice it clunking right away and could easily cause sever damage to the shock. I never damaged mine but my old shock did get loose on me once.
    Great. I do see the silver washer and I’ll make sure it’s under the bolt head when I install the yoke. I’ll try to get the yoke on as tight as I can. Don’t have a vise unfortunately…

thanks

sideshow
    Free Member

So I got the little spacer from my local specialized dealer (thanks Don Skene of Cardiff), 4 quid, no problem. They dipped the bolt in loctite and told me to do it up super tight, apparently the big S have upped the torque spec for that bolt.

For future reference of anyone with my other problem, THE YOKE SHOULD NOT GO UPSIDE DOWN, once the shock is attached with air out you should rotate the piston to get the yoke the right way up.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Enduro 29 shock upgrade, mounting issues’ is closed to new replies.