Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • Enduro 1 @ Aston Hill: Roll call
  • scottfitz
    Free Member

Anyone doing the Enduro1 race at Aston Hill this Sunday?

The QECP trail collective team will be there.

Really looking forward to this one!!

paul123
    Free Member

I’ll be there and can’t wait.

Looking forward to gettting timings and rules etc today. Will be interesting to see if they just use the DH tracks and whether they still want you to carry loads of kit or not.

kimbers

yup, swamp things or not?

scottfitz
    Free Member

yup, swamp things or not?

I’m leaving the fat albert’s on as they were great at Eastridge but I will have the Swamp things with me for a quick pits stop when I get there and check out the conditions.

Looking forward to gettting timings and rules etc today. Will be interesting to see if they just use the DH tracks

I hope they send us down the black run and 423, I can’t see them using STA.

and whether they still want you to carry loads of kit or not.

My guess is yes.

superfli
    Free Member

Me thinks my general do it all combo of Fat Albert front and Nevegal rear, and like Scott, bring a swampy front if its muddy. I did really want to try xking front and ralph rear as they are very fast and black chilli front is very grippy, but not got so much volume and bit risky for an unknown (great at QE enduro though!)

Right then, whistle, 1st aid, tools, jacket, glasses… all over again for them not to check again 🙄 I will go minimal this time!

scottfitz
    Free Member

Right then, whistle, 1st aid, tools, jacket, glasses… all over again for them not to check again I will go minimal this time!

Don’t forget the KY!

soobalias
    Free Member

not riding, but might head over this sunday to see what all the fuss is about.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

I may also pop over, I’d be interested to see how they run it as an enduro event rather than simply a series of mini-downhill races.

No S2A? They’ll want to show case that track, I’d be surprised if at least some of it didn’t feature.

kayak23

Darn, full up… Missed this one 😥

paul123
    Free Member

I thought S2A would be used. Didn’t I read somewhere that they are going to allow some practice for this round and therefore I assumed they’d be sending down the DH runs and perhaps 1 or 2 new runs.

How they get us back to the top will be interesting.

Was hoping to ride without a pack this time but guess that won’t be poss if we have to carry all the usual gear.

scottfitz
    Free Member

I thought S2A would be used. Didn’t I read somewhere that they are going to allow some practice for this round and therefore I assumed they’d be sending down the DH runs and perhaps 1 or 2 new runs.

maybe if there is a practice but S2A has lots of non rollable features unlike all the other runs. I hope they do use it, would be a great spectators.

flap_jack
    Free Member

This’ll be a slimemare, it’s rained everyday since sunday…

kimbers

slimefest for sure!

the enduro1 websites down tho

scottfitz
    Free Member

the enduro1 websites down tho

Its back up, Shame we are not getting time down all 7 run.

slimefest for sure!

Same as rounds 1 & 2 then. muddy or not i’m looking forward to this one should be a real test.

kimbers

its the climb up thats got me concerned!

scottfitz
    Free Member

its the climb up thats got me concerned!

From what I have read on the site it sounds like the push up to me.

“There is a section which is the official push up that you must not ride your bike on past the rider dismount signs. If we catch you peddling you will be disqualified. I have ridden up it as far as I could which is the steps and then pushed up at a good pace.”

“During the Transitions stages on the designated push up you will be on a public rights of way so dismount from your bike as warned. If we catch you on it you will be disqualified.”

scottfitz
    Free Member

Push up route matches the 1.1km distance too (ish) http://app.strava.com/segments/2668946

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE aston hill.. but shirly racing down some downhill tracks and then pushing back to the top isn’t exactly an enduro race?

kimbers

this is being called a ‘sprint enduro’
    carlos was pretty specific saying that this was a different format

Im considering taking my fr/dh bike but hes pointed out that the transition/push up times will be tight so im not so sure

paul123
    Free Member

I think the mandatory push up section will be pretty short, I imagine you’ll be allowed to ride most of the way up.

In any case they’ll have to use different routes up otherwise it’ll be mayhem.

kimbers

paul123 – Member
    I think the mandatory push up section will be pretty short, I imagine you’ll be allowed to ride most of the way up.

its a footpath and aston hill can only use it on condition that the footpath isnt ridden

paul123
    Free Member

Understood, but I thought that the footpath only ran for about 50m of the push up as this sectioned is also used by the golfers.

Either way I’ll be glad of the rest.

06awjudd
    Free Member

By the sounds of it probably going to be baptism by fire as it’s my first ever race 😕
    Not looking forward to racing in the wet with my 60a high rollers.

Super nervous right now.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Understood, but I thought that the footpath only ran for about 50m of the push up as this sectioned is also used by the golfers.

No that’s not the Footpath is the rooty bit that goes from golf course to the top of the hill. About 500m, I assure we will be going down the XC down otherwise we could of rode up that as it runs parallel to Footpath.

06awjudd – No need to be nervous ride at you own pace and have fun.

chakaping
    Free Member

06awjudd – No need to be nervous ride at you own pace and have fun.

Have you ridden at Aston in the wet Scott?

I’d be pretty nervous tbh.

🙂

scottfitz
    Free Member

Have you ridden at Aston in the wet Scott?

Nope but I will Sunday. Roots, Chalks, Mud & a Steep hill. What could go wrong 😐

06awjudd
    Free Member

I’d be pretty nervous tbh.

Not really looking forward to the drop on S2A with tired legs either!
    So long as I don’t come last 😛

lbjones
    Free Member

Surely wont be running S2A as a stage in this will they? Not a typical enduro stage, personally crap myself with a couple of those drops so bloody hope not! My guess of 3 stages are:
    – Red run/end of XC route
    – DH3
    – Something quite scary/possibly out of my league in the wet!
    Now thinking about it, would probably prefer S2A than black run, I struggled to walk down that in the wet, let alone ride it!

06awjudd
    Free Member

@ lbjones – S2A isn’t exactly what I’d think of when you say “enduro”. Other than the drops, practically no technicality, and I’d imagine that big drop could be lethal in the wet with tired riders, so I hope not too.

From what I’ve seen of the other venues, if they go ahead and use either it’ll be much more hardcore than any of the other races.

Not looking forward to picking my way down the black in the wet either 😕

I’ve read that Carlos said S2A was definitely being used, so who knows?
    I’d imagine they might use the chicken runs round the bigger drops / only use a part of it though.

Really excited now anyway!

jamesoz

last time I raced there after lots of rain I couldn’t complete my 2nd run as the bike had clogged with mud, I was racing hardtail and that event was on the xc downhill. I would take thinish mud tyres, anything a bit fat in the frame will just fill with mud, the chalky mud gets really stupidly sticky.

The other runs arn’t too bad for mud but tyre choice and pressure will mean the difference between getting down ok or ending up on your arse.
    Not tried high rollers there in the wet but can’t imagine it will end well.

If starting at the bombhole end, beware the dip before the firetrail you cross to get the bombhole if you get miss-judge that, it will all go wrong and end in a crash in the bombhole.

06awjudd
    Free Member

Not tried high rollers there in the wet but can’t imagine it will end well.

👿 Gosh darn, I can’t justify new tires for a race!

p7rich
    Free Member

Anyone think it’ll be bad enough to need a full face??

fervouredimage
    Free Member

They I’ll allow use of the chicken runs on S2A which are very easy to tackle. The black isn’t too bad in the wet, it’s root canal you should be worried about, that is a run that is very very slidey in the wet. Approach it with caution, better to get down steadily than end up sliding down on your arse….

I’d opt for full face too.

superfli
    Free Member

I’m hoping the transition times will take into account the bad conditions, especially considering Carlos isnt giving any mechanical leeway! Dont want ruin race and get penalties because you cant make transition quick enough.

p7rich
    Free Member

Guess it can’t be any worse than UK Bikepark? Rode the chalky DH there in the wet a few months ago and (mostly) stayed upright! I’m suddenly a massive fan of chicken runs.

chiefgrooveguru

Anyone think it’ll be bad enough to need a full face??

I’d wear one, it’s not like there’s going to be much pedalling mileage and Aston Hill has quite a reputation for being hard in the wet… I look forward to hearing how it went – good luck!

kimbers

well that was an xc race in a full face helmet

there were some ok technical sections but the tight transition times spoilt the riding with you mates bit and it seems a shame to have gone to aston hill and not ridden any of the DH tracks?
    well a bit of dh4 but not much else 🙁

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Really?! I’m shocked. I thought they would have included most, if not all of the DH runs. Sounds pretty rubbish.

06awjudd
    Free Member

They included the XC, DH4, and some of the 4X, and that was pretty much it. Very XC orientated, even the DH stages had really annoying off camber pedally bits.
    Stage 4 was just a big climb too 😯
    Didn’t speak to many competitors other than the ones around my number, but from what I’ve heard there were loads of DNFs as people finishing RD1 simply couldn’t be bothered to do it again!

superfli
    Free Member

Stage 4 was all uphill Wtf?! Real shame, I was expecting so much more. Tbh, an xc bike would have been much more suitable, the time you’d lose on dh, would be more than gained on the 8min uphill!
    It didnt suit our team, but i suppose some would have liked it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Enduro 1 @ Aston Hill: Roll call’ is closed to new replies.