• This topic has 21 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Xan.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Endurence Cycling
  • Xan
    Free Member

I am reasonably new to mountain biking and have had the crazy idea of doing the West Highland Way in Aug/Sept this year. The longest run I have completed is about 30kn so the 156kn of the WHW is going to be a totally new challenge.

Have decided to cycle 20 miles a weekend at one of the 7stanes and when the lighter nights come in do a few night at Carron valley (11km) Can anyone suggest training methods that I can do at home to help me prepare. Not a big fan of going to the gym but happy to buy some basic equipment for the house.

miketually
    Free Member

You just need to ride more and/or further.

Lots of short rides can work surprisingly well as training for long rides.

Some upper body stuff might help at staving off fatigue on a longer ride. Press ups and the like.

IanMunro
    Free Member

The important thing is to get out on the bike and get lots of miles in. Road is fine, it’s time in the saddle that counts. Long hours on the bike are partly about getting a base fitness, but as much about how your body copes with energy demands, aches and niggles from being on a bike and learning to listen to your body and learning to eat and drink enough. Anyway sounds like a realistic challenge, so good luck!

nickc

It’s a dull ride, the WHW…

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh most of my training consists of shorts rides as I do a 20 mile each way commute so use it as ‘training’. It’s very, very seldom I get the time to do any long road rides over 50 miles. But when I do 100+ mile rides I always manage fine on them. So don’t go thinking you have to go out and ride 100 miles to be able to ride 100 miles, if you know what I mean. I would try some core stability type stuff to prevent upper body fatigue.

And you will be carrying your bike a lot.

Xan
    Free Member

In what way Nickc?? I have heard that it is a real challenge and the downhill at devils staircase is some of the best you can ride.

Ian/Mike cheers for the advice. The one thing I will need to get is a new seat. Did 10 miles last weekend and thought I was about to develop a new hole. Not pleasent.
    Are these gel foods that my lbs sell any good?

nickc

Sorry, perhaps a bit unfair. Any long distance path will have dull sections. Just not particularly great memories of it. (I was walking, mind)

Xan
    Free Member

Fair enough Nick. My girlfried walked it a few years ago so need to get one over her. Then time to think about couast to coast or Strathpuffer 24.

ourmaninthenorth

Gels are good, but I don’t know many people who can ride on them alone (they’re so sugary after a few hours they make one (well, me) feel quite sick.

You need to think about fuel for all long rides – your body only holds so much before you need it from external sources. Therefore, to get an idea of how you’ll react to certain fuels (too much sugar = glucose spike followed by insulin slump) when you’re out riding for a long time.

You need to follow Mike’s advice – ride more and ride for longer. It’s time (rather than distance) that counts. That’s why time spent on the road can be very useful – it gives you that all important base fitness and general strength needed to ride for a long time.

Good luck – looks like ace fun!

miketually
    Free Member

Yeh most of my training consists of shorts rides as I do a 20 mile each way commute so use it as ‘training’. It’s very, very seldom I get the time to do any long road rides over 50 miles. But when I do 100+ mile rides I always manage fine on them.

Your commute is eight times further than mine 🙂

Xan
    Free Member

My commute is only about 2 each way so dont think that will help me much. Got a nice 10 mile run near mine that is part on and part off road so think that will be a good place to start for a a couple of laps. Doing Glasgow to Loch Llomond (maybe Gartness) and back next weekend so I’ll see how I am after that.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Maybe you don’t need a new saddle, you may just need to get your arse hardened to being in the saddle. Unless of course it’s one of those big fat cushion types. Re the gels – yeh I use them and energy drinks but I wouldn’t do a 100 mile ride on them alone. You end up feeling sick because they are so sweet and sticky. I usually take a bottle with water and one with energy drink on a long road ride. Also take things like homemade fruit and nut bars, malt loaf, jelly babies just for something different to eat.

matt_outandabout

Xan – you can make a commute home as long as you like…. 😀

Xan
    Free Member

lol, not one of the Gel ones. The standard Spesh one that came on my bike.
    Energy gels sound like a good pick you up but think I will neeed a good feed to keep me going. I have a big appetite especially when I do something physical. Doing it over 2 days (50/50) so should have enough time to recover in between.

miketually
    Free Member

My commute is only about 2 each way so dont think that will help me much.

2 each way is 20 miles a week. I’m certain that ten lots of 2 miles a week is better than one 20 mile ride on a weekend.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I take it you don’t mean Glasgow to Loch Lomond along the canal path 😉

Xan
    Free Member

haha, no doing Milngavie to Loch Lomond on the first section of WHW. You can add the cannal path from Bishopbrigs up to Maryhill road and onto Milngavie. All flat ground so doesnt add that much.

Yeah I suppose when you look at it that way 10 x 2 is 20 miles a week, plus 20 miles at the weekend and 11km 2 nights a week. This 100miles is going to be easy lol.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I take it you live in Glasgow Xan. I work in Glasgow and commute from Kilmarnock.

Xan
    Free Member

Sure do. I like just off Springburn Road (just before you cross onto Kirky road) so I cycle the same routes at weekends as you probably use to go to work. Use the cannal path but tend to head toward Clydebank (starting ok into the wind) then head back towarks Bishopbriggs.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I work in the southside Xan so straight down/up the a77 through shawlands, etc. I don’t go north of the river 😉

matt_outandabout

I would also add Xan, that its not just about fitness. You will be travelling in a (relatively) remote area, on some big hills, where you need to be self sufficient, and have good riding skills, some good skills and good judgement and some downright common sense. You are not lecking about in the woods, with help a quick mobile call away!

You need to be able to:
    Judge your riding abilities, to avoid falls (especially at excessive speed).
    Fix anything(ish) that goes wrong with your bike – you need knowledge, tools and spares.
    Fix you or a mate if you hurt yourselves – some basic fist aid knowledge and kit.
    Navigate on hills / paths with few or no markers, and know where you are at all times.
    Understand basics of mountain weather, and when to go and when to stay in the cafe.
    Have enough kit/water/food to stay comfy and safe in the first place, and to sit it out/bale out if it goes belly up.
    Understand that in the hills, being miserable and p*ss*d off, is all part of the adventure 🙂

Its a great adventure – go for it and enjoy! (and post the pics up here!)

Xan
    Free Member

Cheers Matt. I do a fair bit of out door activities so will be fine with parts of what you have said. Just ordered a basic 1st aid kit that goes in a saddle bag so thats a starter. I have GPS on my phone (with built in plotter function and possitioning software) and just about to buy the Land Ranger programme for it as well as being paper O/S maps Will be using Sherpa van service to transport stand and workshop tools and will carry basic tools and spares with me on trek. Thinking of also taking a CB radio. If anything major goes wrong I can use emergency band to get help if I have no reception on my mobile. The 2 guys that I am doing it with have been riding for years and have alot of repair knowledge so that bit will be their dept.
    Thanks for the advise bit. I had thought of all this and was starting to think I was getting paranoid!!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Endurence Cycling’ is closed to new replies.