Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Endurance road bikes
  • handbrake
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a bike for when the weather prevents proper biking….. So….. Up to £1500….. Comfort is important…. Fast would be good. Looked at trek, merida, giant, felt, cube, genesis and volagi. Can anyone suggest anything else?

Edric64
    Free Member

Audax type ? fast but comfy for distance and should take guards

psling
    Free Member

“when the weather prevents proper biking”???

handbrake
    Free Member

Audax type could be cool….. Mustn’t look fuddy duddy though! Need specific bikes please

(Road riding can NEVER replace mountain biking )

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at similar but can’t even decide between trek madone and trek domane.

mrmo
    Free Member

walk into a bike shop and buy something that fits! badge means sweet fa. Long legs, short legs, long torso short torso, it all matters.

tomhoward

Want all out fast? Madone. Want comfort, but still silly fast? Domane.

Simples really.

tomlevell

Want proper mudguards? Probably not a Trek or most of the other main brands.

FWIW I’ve just replaced a dead Scott Alu cross bike with a Kinesis TK3 and it appears to be comfier and faster with same components swapped over. Faster might be down to slimmer and properly fitted mudguards though ;0)

legend
    Free Member

tomlevell – Member

Or pretty much any bike + SKS Race Blades

TiRed

Being comfortable will bring speed. Defy Composite would be my choice. Having fitted a set of Raceblade Longs to my TCR (and Defy Advanced SL as there are extra fittings), I can safely say that if you can live with 23-25c tyres, don’t worry about mudguard mounts for occasional use.

mrmo
    Free Member

Sorry that is bollocks, most of the bigger manufacturers make bikes that will take proper sks mudguards. Obviously if you buy a race bike then mudguards won’t fit, because you don’t have mudguards on race bikes.

akira

BMC granfondo stupidly comfy, admittedly its got 28s fitted but still lovely to ride.

dickie
    Free Member

My Wife just bought a 2013 Trek Madone 3.5 from Evans for £1260 & it takes full mudguards.

tomlevell

Sorry that is bollocks, most of the bigger manufacturers make bikes that will take proper sks mudguards. Obviously if you buy a race bike then mudguards won’t fit, because you don’t have mudguards on race bikes.

I looked and couldn’t find any a couple of months ago.
    No mounts on forks was the favourite.
    Not wanting discs meant the likes of the new Roubaix was out also.

In fact there’s an option the new Roubaix.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Plenty of Roubaix models without discs.

dickie
    Free Member

Tomlevell – check out line two of the features in the link
    Trek Features

For endurance check out the Trek Domane.

GJP
    Free Member

Madone 3 series and Domane 4 series here, both take guards, not used them.

tomlevell

Yup never spotted those.
    Can someone find the Giant/Scott/Spec etc versions then.

I’m guessing your max tyre size will be 23 or 25 at a push.

I suppose I should add normal (long) drop brakes were also a requirement to enable 28s to be run.

jonba
    Free Member

planet x, ribble, merlin, canyon, boardman would all be worth a look.

Comfort is more down to geometry and fit than anything else. If you are riding in bad weather then mudguards would be good. You can fit guards to plenty of bikes but you want one that will take full length proper guards for reliability. Helps if you can fit 25mm or larger tyres too. CX bikes can be good for this.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Endurance road bikes’ is closed to new replies.