Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Endomondo users
  • swoosh
    Free Member

has anyone else noticed that the distance tracked seems to be quite a bit less than that tracked by a garmin GPS?

On a recent ride Endomondo tracked 14.98miles whilst two others using Garmins tracked 17.2 miles.

I realise that using my phone wont be as accurate as a true GPS only system and the Endomondo uses less frequent points but looking at the maps they are very nearly the same route as my mates Garmin logs. I wouldn’t have expected it to be that much less in distance terms.

Has anyone else seen similar results when comparing Endomondo with Garmin?

amt27
    Free Member

not used a Garmin, but used My Tracks, exported GPX, imported GPX into Endomondo and always get shorter distances,

i guess it is down to frequency of samples and algorithms,

DickBarton

I have the same issue with mapmytracks. Always reports shorter on the site.

takisawa2

Ha. I tracked the same route last week, while out running. It reported an extra half mile for one of them. When I zoomed into the map it reckoned I’d swam across the corner of a lake & climbed over a church.

bruneep

the speed is also a bit out at times, I was was tracked at 43mph in the forest one ride. 😯

DickBarton

I think the speed is down to a poor lock on the GPS and satellites…so you appear to be in the next place very quickly and the speed is calculated incorrectly…I’m not sure about it all – the logfile I see on My Tracks shows a max speed and distance, but when I view them on MapMyTracks, the mileage is lower, the max speed (at times) is massive and I can’t explain it.

I’m glad to hear the same issue is appearing on Endomondo…it’s not my phone (as such) it isn’t the logfiles but must be how the online ‘service’ reads the logfile.

swoosh
    Free Member

Hmm, i’m glad to hear it’s not just my phone or how endomondo has been installed on my phone. I realised it wouldn’t be as accurate as a Garmin or what-have-you but I thought it would have been a bit more accurate than that. I’m using it mostly just to give me an idea of how many miles I ride a year as i’ve never kept a log of that sort of thing.

HTTP404
    Free Member

Used it a couple of times on some regular runs and found i’d become unusually fast. It turned out the software had recorded a distance significantly further than it should have.
    I now use cardiotrainer but have also tried sportstracker with more success.

swoosh
    Free Member

So are cardiotrainer and sportstracker more accurate than Endo then?

HTTP404
    Free Member

So are cardiotrainer and sportstracker more accurate than Endo then?

Seemed to be so. When you run and get weird but flattering pace times (a couple of times in a row) it kind of messes up your training diary. As soon as I switched over to cardiotrainer the pace times returned to more realistic times.

dafunkphenomenon
    Free Member

Are you using endomondo on iPhone?

All my iPhone GPS apps tended to some in short. When I switched over to windows phone they tend to be more accurate as to what the mapping software is telling maybe.

I think the apps only query the gps every so often so if it’s putting straight lines between the points it could come in under

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Endomondo gave my max speed on one ride as 224.3 mph.

I was quite pleased coz I didn’t think I’d hit more than about 35!

MrTall
    Free Member

My Endomondo readings on Iphone4 are always lower than those on my actual bike computer. Around a mile or so in every 15 miles.

I ride with a friend who also uses Endomondo on an Android phone and his seems a bit more accurate (plus he can access far more features on his phones version than i can on mine).

swoosh
    Free Member

i’m running endomondo on android 1.6 (x10 mini pro).

i’ve compared the map of my route to that of my mates garmin and they are almost identical, certainly not enough to cause 2 miles of difference over 15/17 miles.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Endomondo users’ is closed to new replies.