Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Endomondo – Slight quibble / better alternative?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve just started using the above and find it quite a good gimmick.

However, when you view a workout and it shows the route map with the distance and altitude data below it would be good if it showed the mile markers on the distance/altitude data. Also it would be good that if you click on the map it would reflect on the distance/altitude data where abouts you were.

Do any other apps do this, or is it asking too much?

Ta

takisawa2

You could export the gpx file into something like GarminConnect.
    I think…

jam-bo

runkeeper does this I think.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The other thing I meant to add was anything that allowed you to use OS Maps rather than rubbish google maps ?

I’ll try runkeeper and see if that is any different.

I think Ordnance Survey are doing that themselves now.
    http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/
    I haven’t tried it myself as I’ve got memory map, but it would be a useful way to share routes, so I might give it a go.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Endomondo – I keep forgetting to stop the workout before driving home, which rather skews the results, >1700 calories for 1:40 ride 😀

Editing the workout to truncate after a point is a ball-ache because it’s not easy to correlate a point on the map with an entry in the GPX file.

Any advice?

TheFlyingOx

I’m giving Endomondo a try after using MyTracks and iMapMyRide.

None of them do exactly what I want, but they each do bits of what I want.

The live time/speed/altitude readout from MyTracks, the ability to edit and “stick” your route to roads/tracks in case of GPS hiccoughs and the (slightly shoddy) rating of hill gradients a la iMapMyRide, and the ease of use, live GPS tracking via t’internet & general free-entry competition goodness of Endomondo.

What does all this without spending £hundreds on Garmin stuff?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ox thats why I wasn’t trying to be too criticle. For a free app is fantastic.

Wondered myself how they make money because as yet I haven’t come across any advertising.

feet
    Free Member

buzz-ligthyear (or anyone)

Did you find an easy way to truncate endomondo workouts? I’ve got the same issue.

When it’s tipping it down and the phone’s in the dry-bag, I don’t really want to be opening it to stop the workout timer. (I use auto-pause, but it’s not particularly reliable)

andytherocketeer

Everytrail was the service I mostly used, but that’s more for route sharing than training. That allows you to edit datapoints directly on the map (I use this to trim the ends so the public GPS log doesn’t point to my house when I forgot to turn GPS off). I guess MapMyRide allows this too? And Google Earth (if you go via KML and possibly with some conversion c/o gpsbabel).

It’s a bit of a faff editing by hand or using 2 services, but it’s all free.

Trackpoint editor in Endomondo would be nice. Endomondo is way faster than Everytrail (which also used to be free until someone gave them a millon $ so they became a bit to flash, and now been bought by a corporate).

clubber
    Free Member

Everytrail for me too – I liked the website more than the alternatives and it saves pics there so you can link there on here, etc.

And you can download maps to save on the phone so you don’t need a mobile signal.

eg
    http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1077808

soma_rich
    Free Member

Endomondo does have mile markers on the map:

when hovering over the bits at the bottom you can see where you were. Same in height/speed graph a little red dot appears on the route telling you were you were as you hover over the graph.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I use Cyclemeter on the iPhone. It’s pretty reliable, shows distances on google maps and does everything I imagine you’d want it to do. It isn’t free but it’s been worth whatever small amount it was that I paid for it.

Only thing it doesn’t have in comparison to endomondo is the community-based thing of issuing or taking part in challenges – it does that via a mostly US-centric site called dailymile

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Endomondo – Slight quibble / better alternative?’ is closed to new replies.