Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Endomondo October Challenge 2011
  • stayhigh

Morning All

The challenge for October is now up and running on Endomondo:

http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/2651044

Well done to Graham & NTP for topping the table.

Please feel free to join in the fun and make the most of the nice weather before the annual swampfest begins.

Happy trails all 🙂

ChrisE
    Free Member

Maybe the score should be made up of distance multiplied by elevation gained otherwise those who ride mountain bikes any where near mountains will never stand a chance!

bitter …moi…….?????

C

devs
    Free Member

Aye it annoyed me initially too. Recreational mountain bikers don’t stand a chance against the commuters. Endomondo and the comps are ultimately just for fun though so I decided just to morally look down my nose without making a fuss. Even the calorie function of endomondo doesn’t take altitude gained into account so if you are that serious about it find another competition and app!

andytherocketeer

only did it for a laugh, and to give me a stimulus to get out on the bike a bit more. i just try not to fall off page 2 of the stats, but I won’t go and do a longer flat CX ride just to get the numbers up, instead of a hilly XC MTB ride. need more hilly practice.
    my commute might hit 80km/month max. but it’s not MTBing, even if I rode an MTB.

bruneep

Wot chrise says.

Always suspicious of those who “hide” their workouts as well.

craig1975
    Free Member

why don’t wee start a Mountainbiking only challenge then ??? no commuting

zbonty

Been a fan of the app until recently. Was a great motivator challenging a mate now living down under.

But it just does’nt track properly. Big gaps on workouts and straight lines along wiggly roads. A real shame but its almost unusable now.

stayhigh

I have to say that most of my riding is my commute to work which is just over 12 miles each way. I would say that a good 60-70% of this is off road and feel happy enough with that to include them in my total.

I always consider it to be off road miles as a pose to road rides when I look at adding a workout as “mountain biking”.

IMO it should be how many miles mountain biking not how many miles on a mountain bike as it were.

I can put this on the description if people want?

andytherocketeer

Big gaps on workouts and straight lines along wiggly roads. A real shame but its almost unusable now.

Not noticed that. Gaps would be either the GPS device using clever “intelligent” track storing, or the GPS losing lock. My eTrex seems fine, although I know my old eTrex would have lost lock in trees etc. Not tried any smartphones yet, nor training type GPS things.

IMO it should be how many miles mountain biking not how many miles on a mountain bike as it were

That’s my philosophy, but I spose anyone can interpret it the way they like. If my intent is to go off-road for a significantly substantial part of the ride, then it’s MTBing.

psychobiker
    Free Member

I must admit I got a 3rd one month on purely recreational rides, including a family holiday to the Isle of Wight where I had and hour and a half workout every morning on their excellent bridleways. However this was an especially good month for me and I was still well over 100 miles down on the top two commuters. Haven’t bothered since as there is no challenge as you could never win. Just enjoy my rides to myself now.

devs
    Free Member

There is a huge difference between what some call mountain biking and what others do. It all depends on where you live and ride and it is most definitely not a level playing field. At the end of the day, if it bothers you that much then you need to find another release for your competitive streak. If endo introduced an algorythm that took into account the vertical metres covered then it would be fairer.

druidh
    Free Member

True devs. I’m amazed when I see some folk logging mountain biking when all they are doing is spinning out along some farm tracks and then along some fire roads in a local forest. 😆

samuri
    Free Member

I won’t enter this challenge. I’d probably win if I did despite most of my riding being offroad but it’s a commute and it’s not very hilly so it’d be cheating.

weaver
    Free Member

I don’t have a problem with people including commuting in there, i don’t commute and all my mountain biking is proper off road riding in the hills. I’m doing it for fun and its good to see how my mileage compares to everyone else’s

devs
    Free Member

Druidh you cut me to the quick 🙂

swavis

Couldn’t agree more druidh 😉

devs
    Free Member

I wondered how long it would take the captain of the duffton/craigellachie/aberlour railway line to come out of his closet! 🙂

masonmarxx
    Free Member

i’ll never be able to compare to some people yet, but it’s a goal for the future :mrgreen: buzzing about my ride today. made me realise how unfit i was, but felt so good to be back doing it again!

zbonty

Is anyone else using an iPhone (3GS) for this?

Looking at the Endo help pages it’s all gone downhill for various phone users since updates in August.

ianwild16
    Free Member

I’m well into this months challenge…feel free to have look at my routes and let me know what you think…..
    Ian Wild

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Endomondo October Challenge 2011’ is closed to new replies.