Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Ender's Game
  • vinnyeh

Hadn’t realised there was a film coming til I caught a trailer on the tv last night.
    [video]http://youtu.be/vP0cUBi4hwE[/video]

I wonder how much will be left of the book, which is one of my favourite pieces of sci-fi. Very difficult to film I imagine, hope it’s not been turned into a generic piece of space opera. Some talk that it might merge Ender’s Shadow in with it as well.
    Might be the start of a series if it’s a success, Speaker for the Dead would really be an interesting follow up.

willard

The film has been a _LOOOOOOONG_ time coming. Apparently because it’s been far too difficult ot turn the book and its themes into a sensible film.

I have high hopes for it given the book, I just really hope it doesn’t let me down (like most recent sci-fi adaptations of classic books).

clanton
    Free Member

A lot of the recent sci-fi films in general have been disappointing.

shermer75
    Free Member

What’s that on Ben Kingsley’s face?!?! I read this book about twenty years ago. Could that be right?! I remember it being good, I should give it a reread…

samuri
    Free Member

Yep, old book. Excellent read though. I would imagine turning it into a good film will be very difficult, it’ll lose a lot. Not that the film makers will care. I’ve no idea how many people will have read the book first or even be aware of it’s existence but it will no doubt be fractions of a percent of the total audience.

kimbers

the films had a few issues

not least because of orson scott cards right-wing homphobic views that have led to threats of boycott etc so the studio has more or less shut him out of the film!?
    http://skipendersgame.com/

still my hopes are high! trailer looks promising, book was good but its been a while since i read it

grum
    Free Member

Looks pretty decent from the trailer. Could have sworn I saw a trailer with a fairly big spoiler but I don’t think it’s in that one.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

books and films are different beasts, generally literal adaptations of good books don’t make good films. The media just works differently, not read the books, might pick one up but will watch the film. Then judge it on it’s merits, all you can do.

Trailer looks like it hits some interesting ideas/concepts will see if it lives up.

Wonder how long before we get some Iain M Banks adapted

samuri
    Free Member

http://skipendersgame.com/

That’s interesting, wasn’t aware of that dynamic. I’d be happy to boycott on that basis.

mrchrispy

spoiler? what you mean the fact that in the end he…..

/keyboard disconnected by angry mob!!!!

😉

emsz
    Free Member

The SkipEndersGame thing is pretty much all over some US LGBT forums. I read the first book ( kids fighting aliens cause their tactics were new, is that right?) but didn’t know about the authors views. If some of the things he’s supposed to have said are true, ( especially about equal marriage rights ) I won’t be going to see it.

vinnyeh

Interesting, the skipendersgame thing. Was aware of his religious beliefs, adm how they coloured his world view, but thought that they were just personally held opinions, which doesn’t bother me unduly. Didn’t realise however he was such an extremist.

richmtb

Read it a few years ago. Was quite good, brilliant ending which I can’t see actually being filmable (it was cerebral and symbolic rather than anything physical)

Wasn’t aware of the author’s anti-gay views though. Its not hugely surprising given he is a devout Mormon though – although he seems to like being a bit of a dick about it.

I’ll happily support the boycott and download the film instead then

atlaz
    Free Member

I have to admit, it’s one of my favourite books (actually the whole series is really strong and has many different types of story/philosophy in the books) but his personal politics despite the fact they don’t seem to leech into his stories put me off somewhat. Still not sure how I’ll manage that contradiction.

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah that was my point Mike. Films rarely make exact adaptations of books and the film makers don’t care because only a tiny portion of the audience care.

That said, many film adaptations make excellent films from excellent books that really do echo the book. Fight club, The Green Mile, Electric sheep to name a few.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

samuri – Member – Quote
    Yeah that was my point Mike. Films rarely make exact adaptations of books and the film makers don’t care because only a tiny portion of the audience care.

Mine was more that some things won’t work and to make the better film based on a book rather than the book played out on film. I’d rather see the best film rather than the literal replay of the book.

AdamW
    Free Member

I must admit I must be strange as I didn’t find the book interesting. It was too linear and I could knew what was happening well in advance. My mates at work were bigging it up a few years ago. (Currently reading the Expanse series which is good!)

Afterwards I found out about OSC’s somewhat nasty views/actions and I gave ‘Speaker for the Dead’ a miss, although I hear ‘Enders Game’ was written in order for SftD could be written.

Apparently OSC is being a bit of a crybaby over the boycott requestsas he wants people to see the film (and hence give him dosh). No thanks, I’ll pass.

scuzz
    Free Member

It was too linear and I could knew what was happening well in advance.

Korma-Spoiler: Aye, but the main point was that the protagonist couldn't which brings up some ideas to ponder over

I’m aware of the author’s views, I’ll likely see the film anyway (probably in a method that doesn’t give him any money) seeing as I read and enjoyed the book before I even knew homophobia existed. Bizarrely, the book taught me a lot about humanity, acceptance and understanding through miscommunication, something the author seems to lack.
    It’s one of those lovely human things – art evoking a personal response in me that’s at odds with the personal views of the artist.

z1ppy

I’m looking forward to it, I read it in my youth and was sucked in. Picked it up again of late and re-read it, and was surprised how much my memory differed from it, but still enjoyed it.
    I then went and looked into it’s author & sequels, only to find OSC’s rampant homophobic attitude, which I found very disappointing & sad.

Supposedly the film has been put on hold many times by the author until the studio’s agreed to his demands: decent child actors [as per the book], not teen’s and no ‘love’ story.
    I do hope it works, but have my doubts…

atlaz
    Free Member

What a coward’s way of dealing with the fact that you’re out of step with the majority of the population but only so that you can keep the money rolling in

samuri
    Free Member

I’m not sure what he expects gay marriage campaigners to do now.
    Does he think he’s going to get raped?

Although the more I read about this nasty little man the more I hope something unpleasant will happen to him. It just goes to show, when you read a good story, you know absolutely about the person who wrote it.

Thank god we know we’re safe when reading Hubbard or C.S Lewis.

Northwind

He is an absolute fud, this is not news. But I’ll go and see the film anyway, because it might be good and he won’t notice my £7.

portlyone

An argument along the same lines could be made for boycotting Disney films.

richmtb

He is an absolute fud, this is not news

Well put.

The scary thing is his views aren’t all that controversial in his native country

Northwind

richmtb – Member

The scary thing is his views aren’t all that controversial in his native country

True, but even dyed-in-the-wool homophobes are often pretty uncomfortable with his creepiness. Just a little bit too keen on underage girls to blend in with the moral majority..

samuri
    Free Member

It’s just that in the book, it’s all about loads of young boys all wrestling down with each other……

Northwind

I refuse to read it again with an adult mind as I’m reasonably sure it’s all just horribly wrong.

AdamW
    Free Member

Korma-Spoiler: Aye, but the main point was that the protagonist couldn’t which brings up some ideas to ponder over

Yes, and that is what I was considering shortly after starting the book. I may be thick but not that thick! I just found it a bit boring. Each to his own though. Mate at work thinks it is the best book ever. He says he may watch the film but only after he finds a free download.

samuri
    Free Member

It’s usually in the top 5 of sci-fi book lists when people vote on it.

http://scifilists.sffjazz.com/lists_books_rank1.html

I set myself the challenge to read every book in that list. It ended up being like forcing yourself to ride every day for a hundred days. Except longer.

hels
    Free Member

It’s a great book, one of the first sci-fi novels I read when I was a kid. Although they have spoiled it a bit, I am sure in the book Ender thinks it is all a training exercise until the end, so that is already out there in the preview clip. Will ask my mother to dig my copy out of the basement and send it over.

CountZero

Read it years ago when first published. It was OK, but I’ve read better books, and I’ve never been fussed about re-reading it, unlike many other books. I’m ambivalent about watching the film, if it looks well done, I might go see it.

z1ppy

Anyone seen the movie? (especially if you read the book)

29erKeith
    Free Member

I really wanted to see it tonight but ended up booking Gravity, only because there aren’t any evening viewings for Enders Game. One cinema’s last viewing is 15:30 and the other’s 17:00 👿

I know it’s a 12 but it’s not a children’s film, is it???
    why no evening viewings 🙁

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Ender's Game’ is closed to new replies.