Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • End of the warm night riding season :- (
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member

16*c last night, shorts and tshirt, great evening temps for October, arrived back with a fine coating of trail dust on the bike, none of the usual gloop this time of year, great end to an extended summer.

Dropping to 5*c tonight and single figures on the upcoming 5 day forcast, anyone else squeeze in a final nightride in the balmy temps? Think the fleece may be required tonight 😆

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

It’s the end of everything, dude. Time to head south methinks. Night riding, on my own in Autumn/winter, in the Cambrian mountains of mid-Wales? No thanks! Tried it a few times… it is scary, cold, remote and exposed. 😯

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yep was a great night, nice and clear temps pretty warm, got a bit chilly later on, but as you say nothing like as cold as its going to be in the next few days

was a bit muddy out but not continous gloop like usual time of year, great great fun though

bring on winter*

* (anything bar rain please)

EDIT : and this morning its pretty cold, dull, raining and looking like winter 🙁

jekkyl

I’ve been putting off going back to full finger gloves but I’m out tonight and looking likely will need them, base layer top and leg coverings. Bahhhhhh

trusty

Twas great out in the FOD last night. Not quite dusty but still pretty dry and sooo warm

kiwijohn

It should have been the start of ours, except torrential rain stopped play. 😥

GolfChick
    Free Member

Im kinda glad tbh, I keep wrapping up warm for my 6am walk only to be pouring with sweat after 10 mins and having to carry it all. Its far too uneseaonably warm for this time of year! Bring on the hard frosty ground!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Excellent, have some new winter kit that I’ve been wanting to try out 🙂

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Was out last night, amazed how balmy it was for the time of year. Perfect conditions really, once night fell properly and took the clammy edge off the daytime temperatures. The ground has baked hard again as well. Nary a splash of mud to be seen.

Off to Bike Park Wales at the weekend. Last time I was in Wales at the end of March I did a loop of Cwm Carn in a couple of inches of snow.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Steamy, muddy riding making it hard work, fogging specs etc. Dropping a few degrees will be welcome!

mindmap3
    Free Member

I quite like the cooler temps myself – especially when the ground is dry. I can’t wait for sunny but cold frosty rides.

I’m not looking forward to the rain though – I’m bored of cleaning my bike already after a few wet rides over the last month. That’ll now be a weekly fixture soon.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Last Thursday felt like one of the warmest night rides of the year down here. Genuinely warm and sweating in shorts and short sleeves right up to midnight.

As the saying goes though, there’s no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong kit.

rOcKeTdOg

Going out tonight, single figure temps make u appreciate the hipflask more

dantsw13

Last night was perfect for beers back at my firepit afterwards!!

cr500dom
    Free Member

Hopefully out for my first nightride of the year tomorrow night 😀

But yes I took the dog out for a walk at 11.30 last night in shorts, t-shirt and sandals 8)

rocketman
    Free Member

End of the warm night riding season

Had exactly the same thought as I was rolling back home from the Chase last night. Pretty good for October

fasthaggis

Cool,crisp,dry and proper dark,it’s what I look forward to .
    Last night was just the right temp,no overheating 🙂

dannyh
    Free Member

Single figure temps don’t hold much fear for me – I’m a wet-through sweaty mess inside 10 minutes at anything over 15 degrees celsius!

Out tonight locally, looking forward to it!

cruzcampo
    Free Member

I do adore the crisp frosty mornings, with blue skies, no haze on the horizon, load up on porridge and coffee, then head out early for a winter ride 8)

Can certainly feel the difference tonight already, its down to 8.7*c in the garden, and feels very brisk! Start of full finger gloves for sure LOL

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Chilly wind tonight, but the trails are still fantastically dry and fast, in fact faster than of late as the undergrowth is starting to fade back.

Awwsumballz. 🙂

cruzcampo
    Free Member

i’m going to miss the tunnel vision from foliage almost grabbing you on twisty trails lit by LED 😳

iainc

clear skies, windy, 5 degrees – brilliant GMBC ride at Mugdock this evening !

valleydaddy
    Free Member

perfect weather for out group ride tonight, up out of home town, drop into BPW for a lap and finish with a pint, perfect night ride, well it was for the guys who made it my rear wheel decided to implode on the first climb so I limped home and missed out 🙁

cruzcampo
    Free Member

valleydaddy – spokes? 😯

Sancho
    Free Member

was colder tonight than last night, but still had shorts on so not too bad, just kept moving.

headpotdog
    Free Member

Reckon you’re right. We went on Ilkley Moor last night and it was just right in shorts & a softshell/ fleece top. Any colder & it’ll be tights & winter shoes again for me.

Big thing was that the ground was starting to get waterlogged again on the moor. Doubt I’ll be up there again until it either freezes hard or drys out next year I think. It’ll just be too boggy to be any fun unfortunately.

rOcKeTdOg

I feel cheated, it was windy but still warm enough to be sweaty, bring on the frost!

eskay

It is cold out this morning, I have just got back from walking the dogs. Gloves for the commute this morning!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘End of the warm night riding season :- (’ is closed to new replies.