Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Encounter with a "professional" driver
  • Edric64
    Free Member

Driving is a menial task ,look at your average van /lorry driver not the sharpest tools in the box

plus-one

I’ve been a bus driver now for 7 years in a very busy city .. And I’m a keen cyclist out for rides most days and encountered “arseholes” across the full range of taxi’s -pedestrians-car drivers-cyclists-other buses-lorry’s etc and there is no one group devoid of idiocy !!!

Society seems to be getting more selfish by the day 🙁

If you haven’t actually driven a large vehicle on the roads(bus/lorry) I’m sorry you haven’t a clue !!!! (For the record the coach driver shouldn’t have a license)

Peace to all men 🙂

paul4stones

Am I wrong to be ridiculously pleased with myself for guessing correctly where all this happened? Or might that indicate that this is a section of road particularly prone to this sort of thing? Well, the poor overtaking, maybe not the subsequent road rage.

teethgrinder

Is that the road between Ovingham and Ovington? If so, it’s always been a dodgy bend. I hate riding along that stretch.

mdavids
    Free Member

Is that the road between Ovingham and Ovington? If so, it’s always been a dodgy bend. I hate riding along that stretch.

Correct, and I also hate riding it but once you’re past that section it’s a very nice, quiet route.

Unfortunately with Ovingham bridge closed it’s much busier than normal with drivers having to detour to Stocksfield and back to get across the river.

kerley
    Free Member

Driving is a menial task ,look at your average van /lorry driver not the sharpest tools in the box

To drive badly then yes anyone can do it (the average car driver is just as useless as the average van or lorry driver.
    You may well be in that camp as you seem to think it is menial (i.e. requiring no concentration, thinking about surroundings/what others are doing, applying a level of intelligence and care etc,.)

If all drivers were highly skilled, driving correctly and 100% focused on the task there wouldn’t be many accidents would there…

project
    Free Member

Coach driving like taxi driving, prostitution and window cleaning are jobs for those who cant find any other work.

Got to be the most pathetic attention grabing comment ever posted on here by someone who obviously doesnt recognise the skills and training coach and taxi drivers have taken .

Burt then there are numpty posters just like the ocasional coach driver,,prostitutes who have met in a profesional seting are all polite and show excellent customer care service.

Edric64
    Free Member

Training to be a taxi driver ? not in most places.

crapjumper
    Free Member

Driving is a menial task ,look at your average van /lorry driver not the sharpest tools in the box . Edric64 I have to say you’re making yourself look like a proper bell end now 😆 . Sometimes you need to know when to quit

belugabob
    Free Member

I understand your sentiment, but question your mathematical prowess – surely, it’s the below average drivers that we need to be more concerned about (whether they are in a van/lorry/car on a motorbike/bike/horse is irrelevant)

crapjumper
    Free Member

Belugabob’s talking sense finally

Edric64
    Free Member

Average can still be poor .Average intelligence is thick .It used to be something like a CSE grade 4 which is cretinous

belugabob
    Free Member

If you increase the standards of the worst people, the average will go up but, if you increase the average, that doesn’t necessarily improve the worst – and it is the worst who are the biggest danger.

Belugabob’s talking sense finally

I hope you mean that ‘Finally, somebody’s talking sense, and it’s belugabob, rather than ‘belugabob is talking sense for a change’ 😉

Superficial
    Free Member

Average can still be poor .Average intelligence is thick .It used to be something like a CSE grade 4 which is cretinous

Perhaps compared to your almightly brain. But average intelligence is… average. There are surely people far more ‘cretinous’ than the average folk, why don’t you concentrate on insulting them?

mdavids
    Free Member

Perhaps menial is too strong a word, fact is though they’re (professional drivers) doing something for a living that most of us do everyday, it’s not extraordinary and the barrier for entry into the profession isn’t exactly set very high. Yes the size of the machine is much bigger and I’m sure that makes it a much harder task.

I’d be gutted if I lost my job, there’s many years of hard work gone into getting it so I certainly wouldn’t chance losing it by behaving like a dangerous, irresponsible arsehole.

So to me, the behaviour I witnessed the other day is just incomprehensible, you really do have to be thick as pig shit to not only treat a vulnerable road user in such a way, but do it whilst actually at work.

crapjumper
    Free Member

Yes sorry belugabob , I meant finally somebody’s talking sense 🙂

dufusdip
    Free Member

Jeez, doesn’t take much to get folk on here wound up!

All this vitriol and nobody has picked up that OP has used drafting to get his best Strava time. Surely that’s like using an e-bike 🙂

Glad you had some good come out the scrape but these recounting these encounters only seems to prompt rampant tribalism on all sides.

TimothyD
    Free Member

Plus 1 for the tribalism on these kinds of threads, and what’s with the stereotypes having a grain of truth in them theme?

They’re 2 things which humanity could do without, tribalism and the making of stereotypes and the assumptions which accompany them.

It can’t be that hard to be a bit open minded…?

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Encounter with a "professional" driver’ is closed to new replies.