Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Empty house over the street, how to find out who owns it?
  • tthew

Old bloke across the road from us died about a year ago, and his house has been apparently abandoned ever since.

It wants buying, renovating and renting or selling on, but how do I go about finding out who the current owner, (his estate?) is? Not entirely sure I want to do it myself, idle musings really, but it’s only deteriorating in its current situation.

oink1
    Free Member

Land registry? (costs i think)

tthew

I’d thought of that but presumably this would only tell me the name of the old bloke, not the beneficiary of any will or next of kin as they are unlikely to have re-registered ownership.

gregsd
    Free Member

Contact your local authority as they probably have an Empty Homes Officer whose role is to get property such as these back on the market.

tiim
    Free Member

Land registry? (costs i think)

Yep, https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/www/wps/myportal/My_Home
    charge of a few pounds to see details, property doesn’t have to be yours.

In fact, PM me the address and your email and I’ll pull the records for you (I’m in a good mood and did it the other day so have an account)

tthew

That’s very good of you tiim, I’ll take you up on that, but your e-mail address isn’t in your profile. If you don’t want to write it down on this thread, (and I’d not blame you) could you perhaps look at mine and drop me a blank e-mail.

Thanks.

newrobdob
    Free Member

It’s only £6 for the title deeds and plan (£3 each) and will take seconds to obtain online.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Finding the executor will be the tricky part.

Local paper archive? Court?

Midnighthour
    Free Member

If Probate has been granted, you can obtain a copy of the will, presumably via the Government or Probate Court. The government web site Wills and Probate section will have details on this. The Will will have details of who stuff is left to and the names of the Executors.

However, probate can be quite slow, so its possible the house is not abandoned, just people are stuck either waiting for the probate grant so they can distribute / someone may have contested the will / they may be waiting for the government department that assesses over payments of social security etc who are based somewhere in the Forest of Dean. That lot are notoriously slow and they do not even start to contact you until after probate has gone through. We are talking 6 months to a year of waiting for this department…. Noting can be distributed until they finish with you according to their letters, which have quite a threatening tone even though none of it is the Executors own faults.

BigJohn

Have a look through the letterbox. If there’s a load of post, find a way in and go through it until you get a clue. If there’s no mail it probably means somebody’s coming in from time to time to pick stuff up. Or they’ve put a redirect on. Either way, write a letter to the address saying you want to buy it.

tiim
    Free Member

but your e-mail address isn’t in your profile.

Doh. Emailed you.

Bregante

Any other older folk in the street? Assuming he’s been there for some years then other older neighbours may know the wider family and possibly how to get in touch with them.

cyclistm
    Free Member

I’d go with gregsd’s suggestion first. It will be the housing authority, so district council or city/borough council.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Empty house over the street, how to find out who owns it?’ is closed to new replies.