Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Employment question – 'acting' position
  • cupra
    Free Member

If you are asked to take on the next role above you in an ‘acting’ capacity are there any rules around getting a salary increase for the time you are ‘acting’. Does it depend on the contract, is it law or is this something that has to be negotiated?

Any input much appreciated. Thanks.

footflaps

No.

Drac

There’s no law for them having to pay you an increase.

Clink

I’m currently in an ‘acting’ position and doing my existing job at the same time!! 😯

cupra
    Free Member

Clink – that’s what I will be doing. Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

spooky_b329

My employer pays an allowance for covering a higher grade, currently a smidge under £50 a week. Can’t imagine its set in employment law though…

jfletch
    Free Member

Its up to you to negotiate. It’s likely in this schenario you have them over a barrel in some ways as they need you to cover the work, but saying no wouldn’t look good either.

If they say no to a sallary increase and don’t give you the job long term either I’d do the extra work to get it on your CV and then look to leave to the higher position at another company if you can find another job.

Serves them right for being tight.

exupmonkey
    Free Member

In my old job, if you did an acting rank you got all the financial benefits of those who are substantive in that rank. I say ‘old job’ but this is only day one of my retirement

jambalaya
    Free Member

No – there is no law and in fact it’s normal to not be paid anything extra either, the logic is you take the role to prove you can do it so you get the promotion permanently and get pay rise etc that way. BTW my old employer used to take the pee even more with what it called “double hatting” – basically you did two jobs for the pay of one.

kilo

No money with us – it’s always a developmental opportunity 😆

Chew
    Free Member

It would have to be negotiated, but you’ll have to be careful of how you approach it.

How long and under what situation will you be asked to be ‘acting’. Covering for someone who is ill and this is temporary or there is a vacancy and you are ‘acting’ until that position is filled?

If its the first i’d approach the financial aspect.
    If its the second i’d use it as a chance to show what you can do and suck it up for a while. Asking for cash in the short term wont do you any favours, but once you’ve proved you can do the job the balls in your court.

TooTall
    Free Member

We used to have ‘acting, paid’ and ‘acting, unpaid’. There was also a minimum time to ‘act up’ before you got any money. What’s the worst that could happen if you try to negotiate some extra money – they say no?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Employment question – 'acting' position’ is closed to new replies.