Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Employment law question: Shared parental leave
  • Pz_Steve

We’ve recently brought a new little bundle of vomit, poo and rage joy into the world, and the plan is that I’ll take over the parental leave from week 20, when my wife’s OMP drops off – it’s less of a hit for me to drop to £139/week than it is for her.

We both meet the qualifying criteria to receive ShPP, and both our employers are happy with this (all proper notifications have been given).

Thing is, to make ends meet I also have a seasonal evening job. It’s on a zero hours contract (no biggie, it suits our circumstances), and I don’t earn enough through it to qualify for ShPP. I was employed – or at least under contract – in this job in the ‘qualifying week’, but I didn’t do any hours that week. Like I say, it’s seasonal.

I’m hoping to carry on with this part time job whilst taking ShPL from my main employer. Is this allowed, or would the second job disqualify me from entitlement to ShPP through my main job? I earn a lot less than £139/week in my second job, so I’d be better off jacking that in than losing ShPP.

I’ve done a bit of digging around online (e.g. http://www.gov.uk ACAS, etc.) and I think I’m ok, but there’s nothing which explicitly deals with this situation – not really surprising. Anyone here know the definitive answer?

Thanks very much!

Junkyard
    Free Member

If you have two jobs and you were employed
    by both employers during the qualifying
    week (15th week before the baby was due)
    you can take shared parental leave and pay
    from your main job and continue working in
    your other job if you wish to.

The hive mind is most wise

Pz_Steve

Ah, brilliant. Thanks both. I actually quite like my extra job so it would have been a shame to chuck it.

Cheers!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Employment law question: Shared parental leave’ is closed to new replies.