Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • employment law question
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I am clueless about employment law. A friend is looking to change jobs and wondered if his job would be at risk if the new employer hot into difficulties.

Seems to me the answer is that in the first year he can be fired for any reason other than discrimination. Only after then does he have any protection, from say dodgy “last-in, first-out” redundancy (which only applies to employers with over 20 staff yes?)

Drac

Pretty much yes, in the first year they can finish you with notice much easier it’s a sort of probation.

highclimber
    Free Member

There was a mention of Cameron increasing this period to 24 months.

I was made redundant literally 10 days before a years service (including notice period) and was informed that its pretty clear cut when it comes to 1 year service its 1 year or nothing! pretty shite on the employees behalf.

Drac

It is but it offer employers some protection from when interviews and examines don’t filter out bad employees.

iDave
    Free Member

I was shown the door 6 days before the end of the first year. No come back. Though the king sized prawn in the bosses PC case lessened the blow.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I can see a lot of employment law being burdensome on small businesses TBF.

are prawns part of the iDave diet? 😛 Am looking forward to similar japes if I ever escape my present employer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘employment law question’ is closed to new replies.