• This topic has 15 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by br.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • employment contracts question
  • iDave
    Free Member

if a contract states that there is a 6 month probationary period and the company can terminate with one days notice and without giving reasons – is it legal?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Don’t see why not, you have no rights to a tribunal until you have been there for a year (apart from discrimination etc)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

unethical but legal

Drac

100% legal.

Hardly any job goes without probation.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Probation itself is a bit meaningless tho!

iDave
    Free Member

Just wanted to check as sometimes there can be things in a contract which aren’t actually legal. Looks like the bastards have done me over 6 days before I pass the 6 month mark. I took some precautions, but it’s still a shitty way to treat people.

geoffj

not stuck in Brazil I hope 😯

iDave
    Free Member

I was due to fly to Brazil today but they kept changing the terms of the position there. So, Rio will have to wait. I have other options there. And a few here. Pretty pissed off as they haven’t actually informed me, just shut me out of the network and not responding to calls and emails.

geoffj

Pretty pissed off as they haven’t actually informed me, just shut me out of the network and not responding to calls and emails.

Nice grown up company by the sounds of it.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

happened to me. 1 weeks notice with no comeback, i tried to pull them on failing to complete my probationary period to their terms of my contract, but with hindsight, i should have just walked away.

Good luck looking for work

iDave
    Free Member

A few emails this evening and I start working for one of their competitors tomorrow! Result.

The ‘people’ who binned me today are the kind of company who deserve to find that all my prospects phone numbers on their database need to be decoded to be correct and that their lack of legal status in Brazil works against them in the next few days…..

Also they should be more careful where they leave memory cards 😯

You can’t kid a kidder

Drac

Probation itself is a bit meaningless tho!

Not all helps move on those who got through interviews and the likes but turn out to be of no use.

iDave
    Free Member

Actually got to meet the boss to be formally dismissed. My ‘gross misconduct’ amounted to 2 emails to the Brazil office, one which said that the UK office was ‘quite unprofessional’ and another saying that I looked forward to working there in a ‘more professional environment’.

They accused me of coming and going as I pleased. I asked what evidence there was for this and could they show me that I’d received verbal or written warnings about it. Which they couldn’t do.

In the copies of the emails was one from the UK boss suggesting I fly into Brazil on a one way ticket, pretend to be traveling around South America and work in Brazil on a tourist visa – which strikes me as gross misconduct which could get an office shut down if it was made known to the authorities.

I have decided to appeal and up the ante as they’re cocks. Sorry, I know it’s all very boring.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Drac – Member
    Not all helps move on those who got through interviews and the likes but turn out to be of no use.

Shirley they can be fired without redress in the first year anyway?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Probation makes it easier to be legal and helps give an objective mechanism. There should be reviews built in to probation and timetables and structure to manage underperforming people. Just ‘cos people have no recourse to tribunal in the first year of employment doesn’t mean summary dismissal is right

should being the operative word.

idave – you have very little power in this situation and very little chance of creating much impact. At some point it might be best just to walk away muttering “winkers”

br
    Free Member

In the copies of the emails was one from the UK boss suggesting I fly into Brazil on a one way ticket, pretend to be traveling around South America and work in Brazil on a tourist visa – which strikes me as gross misconduct which could get an office shut down if it was made known to the authorities.

Possibly worth a bit of cash, but be prepared for them to say ‘so what’.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘employment contracts question’ is closed to new replies.