Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Employers -why do they do it
  • stumpyjon

Sorry it’s just one of those need to vent posts.

I’ve been with my current company 2.5 years, I was taken on as the Manufacturing Manager for seperate businesses in the same building. At my level there was a Quality Manager and Supply Chain Manager reporting to a UK Ops Director who reported to a Global Ops Director. When I started things were in crisis, the business had just bungled a change of premises and most of the management had left including my predecessor who just walked out. So new team including my boss(UK Ops Director) picking up the pieces and trying to learn the ropes being harangued by Global Board for the state the business was in.

6 months in my boss quit (actively pushed out and treated abysmally considering his diagnosis of prostate cancer). I was asked to temporarily step into hold things together while he was replaced. Global Ops Director then retired and was replaced. Replacement was Ok, he lasted 6 months and quit. I now have no one between me and the CEO & Chairman. In January I was promoted to Plant Manager and given responsibilty for stores and inventory management but the Supply Chain Manager I inherited the duties from is still there. Quality Manager was then asked to cover for someone else senior who quit so his time to support me disappeared.

I still have no effective boss, am doing the role of 3 people and at best have had modest recognition monetarily. I’d go and talk to HR but the HR manager quit, can’t go into details but suffice to say it’s probably gone legal.

I’ve done a good job, the factory has gone from worst performing to the example held up for the other plants to aspire to. This feedback is from colleagues in other plants not from the board. Did I mention the Plant Managers in 2 of the other plants also quit in July. Plant Manager in plant 4 is slowly going under, only been with us for 8 months.

Actually spoke one to one with the CEO a couple months ago, he seemed genuinely concerned, after an initial sign I might have been listened to nothings changed.

I know I need to get out, my health’s suffering. The only thing keeping me there is I have a good team I’ve developed in the last 2 years and I don’t want to let them down. That and the drudgery of looking for a new role.

Vent over, maybe make it to Christmas and turn my energy to looking for a new job.

Waderider
    Free Member

Eh?

rs
    Free Member

I’m surprised you have a good team, sounds like everyone quit, I’d take on a fourth role as head of HR, and sign yourself off on sick leave 😀

john_drummer
    Free Member

Sounds like global hq are not listening to its plant managers. Do you expect that to change any time soon? It doesn’t sound like it will.
    Perhaps a chat with your GP and sign off on stress, do you think that would kick them hard enough up the backside? Probably not. No, time to move on

jekkyl

is your employer Planet X? 😀

Speak to the ceo again and ask for a payrise and some help.

Cougar

I know I need to get out, my health’s suffering.

Six months off with work-related stress will give you ample time to find something else.

The only thing keeping me there is I have a good team I’ve developed in the last 2 years and I don’t want to let them down

Company loyalty is laudable, but foolish. No-one else there gives a shite, you’re just a cog in a machine. Get out ASAP.

mrhoppy

is your employer Planet X?

Nah, they were all sacked before they had chance to quit.

km79
    Free Member

If you’ve done as good a job as you say you have then you shouldn’t find it difficult to pick up something else. Further down the line you can bring the other good ones with you.

binners

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbyAZQ45uww[/video]

For added satisfaction, as you walk out tell your boss he’s a ****ing clown, and this place is a ****ing 3 ring circus! Seriously… you’ll never have felt better 😀

big_scot_nanny

most businesses do not give a shit about you, you should not give a shit about them.

Its a just a job. You, your health/happiness and your family are way more important.

If things are crap, and IMHO you’ve more than given long enough to more than prove its not you thats at fault, if you can find another job that will make you happier: Do so.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Employers -why do they do it’ is closed to new replies.