Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Employer treating you badly – what would you do?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

My BIL is about to emigrate (in 10 days time) with his work. House is on the market for rental, car sold, other car about to be handed back tot he lease company, all utilities planned to stop, mobile contracts finished, kids (3 of them) sorted with new school, wife packed in a very good job etc etc etc etc.

Yesterday they told him it is being delayed by three months! What TF are you meant to do in circumstances like that?

wwaswas

What TF are you meant to do in circumstances like that?

claim for out of pocket expenses.

resign once you’ve got the money.

binners

joolsburger
    Free Member

Speak to employer outline circumstances calmly and ask what they can do to support. By rights they should pay him to make the move anyway and find something for him to do when he gets there, if not then it’s time to leave and go legal for breach of the detailed and guaranteed contract which I assume he sensibly signed before doing all this..

jambalaya
    Free Member

Is that being treated badly really ? I think we can all think of much worse, like sorry the move’s off you’re being made redundant.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’d like to hope he has some sort of contract/agreement in place that covers what happens in this instance?
    Surely he should be moving anyway, and they can find him something to do when he gets there??

footflaps

I’m with Binners….

johndoh
    Free Member

@jambalaya They barely had a Christmas sorting things out for the move, they now have a s**tload of stuff to un-organise to keep living in the UK, his wife no longer has a job (so 3 months of not earning her salary unnecessarily).

And the way the company are treating people (recent takeover, people being made redundant) makes me wonder if this is a stalling tactic whilst they decide what to do with his position anyway – but he seems to think he should be okay.

@freeagent he did have a contract written up (he insisted on it after it being delayed once last year, but they were nowhere near this close to moving) – no idea what is in the contract though.

crikey
    Free Member

I’m with Binners….

At the back with a pie?

scotroutes

My concern would be that the latter is already an option

sandwicheater

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!WILL SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!! 😆

peteimpreza

I would consult an employment lawyer soonest.

Always assume your employer is going to shaft you,be prepared.

jock-muttley

I would consult an employment lawyer soonest.

the clue is in the word “Emigrate”… probaly not a leg to stand on legally

jambourgie
    Free Member

Sleep with his wife/daughter, and never call them again.

luke
    Free Member

Agree with Pete seek legal advice, and plan for worst case scenario.
    He may be loyal to the company but I bet they won’t worry about being loyal to him and happily shaft him if they see fit, been there done that got the t-shirt, my move was within the UK when it went tits up not abroad and I still had a roof over my head.

johndoh
    Free Member

My concern would be that the latter is already an option

Exactly what I said to my wife – and he has a mammoth mortgage and his wife no longer has a job to provide a fall back. If he gets shafted by his employers, then he is truly shafted 🙁

johndoh
    Free Member

Not quite sure if that fits into this post – I can’t see how that is an option.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Well, I wouldn’t have started from here, but that is not very helpful advice. Wife should be trying hard to get her job back, for starters – assuming they don’t have a cast-iron guarantee that additional costs will be covered (but in that case, you probably wouldn’t have posted).

It’s rarer for employers to go beyond their contractual obligations…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My BIL is about to emigrate (in 10 days time) with his work. House is on the market for rental, car sold, other car about to be handed back tot he lease company, all utilities planned to stop, mobile contracts finished, kids (3 of them) sorted with new school, wife packed in a very good job etc etc etc etc.

Yesterday they told him it is being delayed by three months! What TF are you meant to do in circumstances like that?

That would be considdered ‘good’ in our company, people have been called back whilst waiting at the boarding gate!

Assuming this was a permenant/long term emigration which it sounds like it is as the wifes quit her job then is 3 months really a problem? House hasn’t sold, utilities are a phonecall away etc, and it’s nothing he’d not have to do anyway in the new location, just still in Britain.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is that being treated badly really ?

Do you really need to ask?

I think we can all think of much worse,

we can but that does not make this good

like sorry the move’s off you’re being made redundant.

We all know some things are worse but it is not good

When did you start just doing this on every thread? Are we meant to think you, or anyone, would be happy with this?

As above hopefully he has an airtight contract and they sort out his out of pocket expenses

br
    Free Member

Lets hope it’s his OH brother…

burt
    Free Member

Always assume your employer is going to shaft you,be prepared.

best bit of advice i’ve heard in a while

neilco
    Free Member

Dirty protest. Simple, but don’t get caught.

project
    Free Member

Takeover, of company or going bust,even redundancies,all perfectly normal now for big companies whjo dont look after their staff.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is it somewhere nice he is emigrating to? Just ask to move and sit it out over there or at least send the wife and kids first to get settled then move out after. That should at least force the issue on the stalling tactic vs delay. (Also consult a good lawyer as he may have a compensation claim if it all falls through)

fourbanger
    Free Member

The company is going to pay for him to relocate? Somone will only pay for his relocation if it’s in their interest. Assuming he wants to go and likes his job, I wouldn’t do anything. I’ve been there, it sucks.

edward2000
    Free Member

I love Binners

mikewsmith
    Free Member

edward2000 – Member
    I love Binners

You can have your own thread for that

johndoh
    Free Member

Seems his eldest (8 yrs old) is taking it badly. So, not just the employee that gets shafted …

wiggles
    Free Member

As above assume they are going to shaft you…

Does the wife have a job lined up down under? are they going to have to start paying rent etc?

As if no to the above, then isn’t it the same spending 3 months here waiting as down there? except the sunshine…

johndoh
    Free Member

No job lined up (and it’s not Oz) but the job he is meant to be moving was meant to be a promotion so no promotion means no extra money…

wiggles
    Free Member

Could of sworn I read australia, must be going mental.
    In that case would definitely be lining up a plan B

johndoh
    Free Member

And he won’t actually be going – his employers have delayed do they have to stay in the UK – in a house they have all but moved out of.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Employer treating you badly – what would you do?’ is closed to new replies.