Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Employer not paying/CV question
  • tails
    Free Member

Hi,

Hopefully this won’t happen. I finished working for a small company last thursday as the owner was an evil bully. I worked there for a month freelance and upon receiving another offer she offered me full time work, which I ended last week. She still owes me 3 weeks pay and my p45, if I don’t receive these what should I do. Citizens advice place?

Also I don’t particularly want this place on my CV, is it fair to put it down as freelance as I think it would be unprofessional of me to say what I think if this company in interviews!

Thanks I’m off for a ride or run.

tthew

If you’ve only worked for them for a month, I’d just not mention it on your CV. I wouldn’t have thought that it is a significant enough gap to ring any alarm bells.

As for the non-payment, Citizens advise sounds like a good plan, or a (recorded) letter giving them 7 days to pay, then small claims court.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Fine to say freelance but be careful as if they contact them then you are stuffed

probably easier to just not include it

FWIW omission is not an offence where as deceiving/lying is

footflaps

FWIW omission is not an offence where as deceiving/lying is

When you say offence, what do you mean? There is no statute law covering CVs….

jambalaya
    Free Member

P45 isn’t essential – there’s another form you can fill in and give to new employer.

Do you have a contract (hope so) – send a letter / invoice for payment referencing the contract demanding payment within period specified in the contract. Sadly one would imagine if she’s the evil bully you describe she’ll try and avoid paying, so follow up letters then small claims court.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@footflaps – it’s fraud if you put something on your CV which isn’t true

mudshark
    Free Member

It wasn’t just a month was it?

hels
    Free Member

Give her a chance to pay. But get that invoice fired in asap, and keep chasing it regularly so she can’t say it slipped her mind.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Fine to say freelance but be careful as if they contact them then you are stuffed

Yup, I was freelance for a while and just put “freelance” in my cv. I’ve never been asked for details but would probably say that, as a freelancer, you were hired for minimal effort and disruption on the employers part and aren’t willing to have them pestered for references, especially as it was for such a short period. As an interviewer now, I might read between the lines but not all my freelancing jobs were great so wouldn’t really read anything negative as long as other, recent references are available.
    EDIT – payment – just stick the invoice in, discount by 10% if paid within however many days you think is appropriate (motivation to pay now), if not paid in that time, reminder and contact CAB

tthew

It wasn’t just a month was it?

Now I re-read it, possibly not.

craigxxl
    Free Member

They can’t withhold your pay as that is breach of your statutory employment rights. Failure to do so would form a basis for unfair dismal even though you have handed in your notice which gives you further compensation. If they don’t provide your P45, they have nothing to gain in not giving it to you, then get a P46 from your next employer.

CV, count as your freelance work.

Junkyard
    Free Member

When you say offence, what do you mean? There is no statute law covering CVs….

Excellent news, goes off to write up CV stating he is a Doctor and then start applying for jobs.. You can be my legal counsel as long as you say you have quals 😉

Its fraud basically but yes it needs to be severe.

Joking aside I take your point but it can be fraud hence why it is better to say nothing than say something that is untrue.Most people lie and /or exaggerate on their CV though

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why not have it on your cv? You don’t need to bad mouth them if asked. A gap may be tougher to explain.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Employer not paying/CV question’ is closed to new replies.