Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Emosson dam ride near Chamonix/Verbier
  • jhw
    Free Member

Someone mentioned this ride on a thread earlier today so I looked at my trusty IGN map and it does indeed look like there's a potentially awesome path above the treeline (and therefore probably very rocky, and possibly snowy, though it seems to face East not North) from the dam down to Chalet de Loriaz, and then what look like a number of steep, possibly very gnarly options through the trees down to Vallocine. Is this the ride that was referred to? Also, it looks like you can get a funicular up to the dam, though maybe not in Summer (I don't know). Certainly there's a road up for van uplift, dunno if it's passable though given the snow situation etc.

Shandy
    Free Member

I took a quick look at a hiking routes book recently (Mont Blanc Wanderings, Nat Jennings, I think), as far as I remember it said that the path from Loriaz was a bit of a scramble to hike, so that might not be the exact trail you are looking for.

I was coming down from the dam on the road bike last summer and I saw a guy winching a big full susser up the road, there must be something worth descending up there because the climb is tight enough on a road bike in the summer sun.

jhw
    Free Member

Hmmmm, there are two paths down from the dam, both ultimately ending at Loriaz. The high path seems to go right up into the mountains, and is dotted so as to suggest a scramble/very difficult walk. The low path is more direct to Loriaz, and seems to follow the contour, maybe a small ascent/descent. It goes below a few cornices and does look very exposed.

That's the only trail in the vicinity on the map, at least in the Chamonix direction. There is another trail in the opposite direction (deeper into Switzerland) to Finhaut, but that seems to follow the road a bit too much, I'd speculate it's not the one to ride, but I've no idea.

nickegg
    Free Member

Google Earth any good?

RHSno2
    Free Member

Uplift? Ride your bike up there and explore. Maybe you will find something, maybe you won't? Thats mountain biking for you. I bet its a good view!

nickegg
    Free Member

I just Google Earthed it and the traversing trail could be bloody good as could the descents down through the woods…..one way to find out!

neilforrow

been up there with mills from 10fifty (nolonger going) horrible horrible climb… the road is not really doable unless you have a unimog… but the decent is one of the best out there… uber tech and steep. some old hiker sketchy wood bridges over the falls too… great trail…

you have got to have some legs to get to it.

jhw
    Free Member

Heh, I checked too on your shout – it looks bloody steep off to the left though! And I reckon it'll be snow covered right now (there were patches even on Google earth, presumably taken last hot summer). Trail looks a bit wide, not much singletrack, but epic. To the person taking about rides near Emosson earlier today – is this the one? (can't see much else in the area).

I wonder though – can you take your bike on the train and funicular that tourists can get to the top of the dam? Or is it van uplift only? Wonder if could bribe a taxi in Cham? There is no way I am riding a mountain bike up that road!

jhw
    Free Member

Rock on, thanks for the confirmation this trail is rideable! I am going to do this ride next week I think. I presume you can't get the funicular up. If anyone is in Chamonix at some point from June 24th-29th and wants to buddy up to do this, and maybe bribe someone in town with a van to drive us up, drop me a line on jhwooding@hotmail.com (I'm staying with my brother who's new to the sport, but this might not be a good trail to take him on…!).

nickegg
    Free Member

You're thinking of doing it alone 😯

jhw
    Free Member

no way!

singlespeedstu

I reckon it'll be snow covered right now

No snow on the route we did.

Ride your bike up there. We did.

XXX
    Free Member

did a ride up there a few years ago, the ride down is as good as the way up is bad. Not an easy trail but a good'un

giantjason
    Free Member

we did a route a couple of weeks ago with Bike Verbier in that region from Emurson Dan down to Vernayaz and it only had some very small sections of snow on it. we got the mont blanc express up part of the way and then cycled on the road climbing for 1.5hrs but it was well worth it as the trail down was awesome.

Shandy
    Free Member

The road isn't too bad, after all it is easier than gaining the same amount of height on fire roads or singletrack. I didn't mean to exaggerate the climb, I was just surprised to see a local downhiller kid pedalling his bike up any kind of hill, never mind that one. It is actually quite a nice climb, the views back over Col de Montets and away over into Switzerland get steadily better as you gain the height.

jhw
    Free Member

Thanks – I'm so there! 1.5 hours is fine, I like climbing anyway!

giantjason
    Free Member

jhw – ygm

freeridenick
    Free Member

Do you go up over the Col de Barberine at 2400m?

giantjason – if you have anymore info on this route than that would be great(email in profile)
    off to cham soon and always thought this would be an epic ride 8)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Emosson dam ride near Chamonix/Verbier’ is closed to new replies.