Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Emmigrating – Is it all it's cracked up to be?
  • wors

Chatting with a few friends the other day, and as usual new year etc we should move to Australia etc, etc.

To me, unless you are lucky enough not to have to work, or be able to work less, then it’s a case of same shit different scenery?

Lets hear your good/bad experiences.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I lived in Australia for a bit. It was sunnier and minimum wage was high, but they were the only improvements. Glad to be home.

My wife’s from the US and emigrated by mistake. We don’t live in the US because while we would earn more our quality of life in terms of free time and work/life balance would be reduced. So emigrating worked for her, but that was coming here.

ton

I have 5 mates who made the move. 1 to new Zealand and 4 to perth Australia.
    2 of the ones in perth are money grabbing sod who work in the mines, forgoing time off to earn more cash.
    1 of the other 2 works for a diy warehouse. he works as little as possible, and is a beach bum in his spare time.
    the other is a English teacher, he hates the whole way of life.
    people do not walk anywhere, your friends are work friends only. there are no proper pubs, and it is expensive.
    the guy in new Zealand is a copper in lake taupo. he cycles all summer and skis’s all winter. he loves it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Emigration is not a magic bullet. It doesn’t fix a lot of things, what it does do is allow you to experience new and different things and to have different opportunities.
    I’m 3 years in to Australia, back in the UK for a holiday at the moment, not much seems to have changed here. I’m going back despite a lot of things not being the best.
    You need to do it eyes wide open and integrate as soon as you get there.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ton – Perth is not the rest of Oz

people do not walk anywhere, your friends are work friends only. there are no proper pubs, and it is expensive.

Not my experience in the East.

LHS
    Free Member

It’s more of different shit, different scenery.

No country is perfect in anyway. I have lived and worked in 5 different countries now of varying political, climatic and quality of life standards and whilst i could probably sit down and rank them on order of what i like, there are things about all of them that boil my piss and equally make me dance with excitement.

I won’t go into specifics as everyone is different but primarily the big influences are:

People – you will be surprised how very different us humans can be, especially when it comes down to social beliefs.

Climate – too hot, too cold, too dark, no seasons. No country has it all. When you live in somewhere where its warm and sunny, you will crave cold and frosty mornings.

My main bit of advice if you are considering it is research, research, research. Find out if the key characteristics of where you are considering really fit with what you want out of life.

If you have lived in one country all of your life then make a significant change, don’t expect not to miss elements of your old life.

molgrips
    Free Member

I reckon it depends on the reasons why you want to emigrate. Some people are just dissatisfied with life and look for something to blame, so they blame the country (you know, it’s going to the dogs and everything).

Some people are convinced that they can get a huge house and a great job and everything will be just brilliant in Australia/Canada/wherever not like this shithole of a country etc etc. The thing is that there will always be something to blame for your problems, and if that’s your state of mind you’ll always have them. A new start doesn’t have to mean a new country; likewise a new country doesn’t always mean a new start.

However if you just want to see the world then it’s great 🙂

thecaptain
    Free Member

I emigrated when I wanted out of a dead-end job. Got a good one abroad (science, it’s normal enough to move countries). After a decade I’d had enough, but it was a fun decade and I don’t regret it. Also made a stack of money.

jambalaya
    Free Member

There is a difference between emigrating and working abroad. If I had my time again I would live and work abroad more than I have (3 years in NY, 2 years in Singapore) and I could well move away again. I find it fascinating to live and work in a new place but any move I would not regard as formal emmigration, there would always be the intention/option of coming back, bit of a safety net if you like. Even if I retire abroad I would have a base in the UK.

I have a number of friends who have emmigrated to Australia (my parents did in the 60’s but we came back) and love it there (Sydney and Melbourne). What I would say is that the country varies enormously from city to city and Perth/Western Australia is quite different to the East coast, a lot of Australians don’t want to live/work in Perth/WA.

MoreCashThanDash

Couple of MrsMC’s cousins are in Western Australia, both fairly happy with it, though one did marry an Aussie and go back out with him.

A colleague and her family went to NZ. Husband had got a job roofing. They were back in 9 months, missed their families and he was concerned at lack of H&S, apparently, hated the job and/or boss.

We won’t bother with my aunt and uncle who went to SA in the mid 80s for a job her brother pretended existed. Though they are still there after an eventful 30 years!

NZCol

I emigrated to NZ in 2000 after living there on an off for a couple years. Came back to the UK last June. Living somewhere that isn’t your home means different things to different people. At that point in my life i was single/gf’d up, loved the outdoors and wanted something else to try so it suited me. We now have a small child and my wife is from the UK so for us family time and letting her spend time with grandparents was a major factor. My key lesson was that you make a decision and make the best of what you have, if you are miserable then you need to understand why. Moving to the other side of the world may not fix that. Life goes on, you have to work, you have to live, the weather may or may not be better and you will need to make new friends. Some of that is hard but it depends what you are doing it for. *shrugs* no real answer there because there isn’t one.
    EDIT: I love being back on many fronts but having lived in NZ for most of my adult life i really miss my network of friends. However, friends persist and I will make damn sure I catch up with them for adventures as much as I can and I have met some amazing new people who will, over time, become friends which is exciting.

mt
    Free Member

I found the move a little stressful, after all there are some real differences between West and North Yorkshire.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I think it gives you a very good perspective on what the UK does have going for it. There are a great many things I both do and do not miss about the UK , and some things I have become very proud of, if that is the right word

As said , no one country has it all, it depends what you want at certain stages in your life. Same can be said about moving around different parts of the UK really.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Gave pretty serious consideration to moving to the USA. My wife is from there so visas/work permits etc aren’t an issue.

But at the moment we’ve decided not to. A big upheaval, new starts, finding new jobs etc and the reality is we have it good here. Not much in the way of safety nets in the USA and they are very work and money focused.

Instead I’m taking the next year to work part time and just enjoy life in Scotland. We may do a big long road trip around the US in the next year or two and then reconsider emigrating after that depending on how we find it.

stewartc
    Free Member

Moved to Hong Kong nearly 5 years ago due to marriage, the wife had no interest to move to the UK and I was fortunate enough to be able to get firm job offer after working in the region for many years prior to decamping.
    I was lucky in that I had years of experience working out here (and throughout SE Asia) and no real ties to the UK bar a couple of close relatives/friends and a mortgage, so the decision to move was relatively easy (I had been going back and forth a lot anyway while in a long distance relationship with the now wife for a couple of years).
    You need to consider why you want to move, to get away or to try something new, if its to get away from your current life you may find that the problems just follow you and that a change of attitude or lifestyle is more thats needed.
    I would also ensure that there is employment ready for you, moving is tough, even tougher with no money.

Finally, is it all that its cracked up to be, in my case yes, but as in life nothing is that simple and of course it varies, I would say though at least try it, you can always go home if it isn’t (or maybe not, it depends why you want to get away :).

tarquin
    Free Member

I moved to regional NSW 3 and a half years ago, live in a medium size town by Aussie standards, 40k people. My wife is keen to move back to England in the next few years to be with her parents.

Ride my bike daily from my front door, MTB track, velodrome and Crit track in town, group rides most days.

Have a new car, few holidays a year, good food and money isn’t too much of an issue, I have more free time as I live near work, but my wife commutes an hour each way.

Sometimes work is crap, have to do long hours and work away for a few weeks at little notice.

Hard to meet people our age who have similar interests as most people seem to push out a few kids by 25, late 20s/early 30s we seem very strange not having any or plans to have any yet. We have a few good friends, but not anywhere near the amount we do in the uk.

I would rather stay, but if we do move back then at least we have done some amazing things here, been to the Great Barrier Reef, seen penguins on Phillip Island, Sydney at NYE, concerts at the opera house etc.

The grass isn’t always greener but I would have regretted not giving it a go. We learnt a lot about ourselves over there and would definitely do and see a lot more places if we move back to the UK.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

We want to emigrate from England to Wales does that count?

😛

hatter

That’s not so much emigrating as going back in time.

matt_outandabout

My brother and wife swapped Newcastle for Auckland nearly 9 years ago. They love it. Same stresses yes, but great place, good friends and built a life there now.
    They did move with a job lined up already (architect and freelance film work) and had a couple of other friends out there already. But it has still taken real effort.

zippykona

When I lived in Sydney I couldn’t believe how much it rained. The biking was an hour away.
    The pubs and live music was fantastic. People very happy and optimistic. Even the biggest dope head was always up for a surf or bit of cricket.
    I love the place but it just isn’t home.

plyphon
    Free Member

Has emigrating always been “a thing” or is it a recent trend?

(I’m 25, so no idea what it was like in the 80s/70s/etc)

It just seems at the moment its very much “the thing to do” to bugger off to Aus/NZ. I have 4 friends who have done so, tho I believe one wants to come back. My sister has also lived in NZ for 9 years ish and loves it.

We went to Aus and NZ earlier this year. NZ is a bit “small” outside of Auckland. Which is fine if you want that life but thats not for me. Auckland is pretty cool though. Australia was amazing, and I’d love to live in Melbourne, but not so sure about the outskirts of the city (which really are the only affordable places…)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

(I’m 25, so no idea what it was like in the 80s/70s/etc)

It just seems at the moment its very much “the thing to do” to bugger off to Aus/NZ.
    Judging by the number of ex pats I meet in Oz it’s not a new thing but probably just you hear about it more.

loddrik
    Free Member

My dad lived in Canada for most of his life and was always saying I shoukd move. And it was a great place. Must have been out there 15 times often for several months at a time.

But good as it is it isn’t as good as here.

The UK is a bloody brilliant place. Yes the weather is shite but most people are generally pretty decent, it’s often too easy to take for granted what we have here. The grass is seldom greener.

jam-bo

I know a few people who’ve emigrated and the only one I am slightly* jealous of is the one living in whistler, working full time for whistler park authority.

*varies depending on how often he posts powder pics on facebook.

vinnyeh

Ten pound poms?

Its pretty much the same shit, different scenery.
    I emigrated a bit more than twenty years ago, this country’s been good to me, I like the people, it kicked me out of what in hindsight was a rut with regard to my life, I had a great run with my career, and, imo, the riding’s much better. I’ve been to some fantastic places and seen amazing stuff that I otherwise wouldn’t have had the opportunity to.

Every time I go back to NZ I can still just about see the attraction if you’re not from there, but for me it’s now a small slightly parochial couple of islands a long way from a lot of stuff that I love. Nice to look at, but I don’t want to look to closely under the surface. Same as here really.

I guess, like a few people allude to above, the worst situation to be in is to never have the opportunity to see what the grass is like on the other side – I’ll forever be thankful that I’ve been able to live, not just travel, in several countries, and to realise that if life is a bed of roses for you in one country, chances are it’s going to be similar in another (first world) country. And vice-versa.

fasthaggis

People have been ’emigrating’ for hundreds of years .

I have known a few that have emigrated ,with mixed results.Having been lucky enough to have traveled a lot from an early age,I am all for people giving it a go ,even if it doesn’t work out.It really gives you a different outlook on things

Sometimes you need to go away ,so you can find your way back. 😉

neilco
    Free Member

Moved to Perth six months ago, before this I was in Copenhagen for eight years, originally grew up in London. As has been said above… The thing which won’t change when you emigrate is you and your baggage. If you have issues or a lousy attitude, moving won’t fix that. If, however, you are open for a change and don’t keep contrasting what you’ve got to what you had, you’ve got a good chance of enjoying it.

Each time I’ve moved, I’ve had a job to go into – that makes a massive difference, and possibly makes me an economic migrant, rather than a true emigre. Likely I’m not here for good, but we’ll see.

The only downside for me is that my wife and I are quite family-oriented, yet now we live 15000km and seven-eight time zones away. There’s Facetime, they’ll visit and we’ll be back once or twice a year, but still, it’s hard.

As for comments on Perth… They’re a bit harsh in my opinion! I live 3km from the city centre and cycle to work or catch the free bus. Massive road biking scene and ok mountain biking if you don’t mind an hours drive. Have a car but only use it recreationally. Weather and beaches are fantastic, if that’s your thing – it is mine. Wife has made good friends locally (though does miss family, friends and work from home massively). Daughter loves it. Can’t remember the last time she wore socks or shoes and we’re at the beach two-three times a week. People in my suburb at least are very friendly, though town night life is a little bit last century and aggressive. Pubs are fine, though that depends what you’re looking for. Downsides… It’s a long way from anywhere. You need to fly three hours or more to get anywhere major and even a three hour drive doesn’t get you that far. Also, it is massively expensive, years of minerals boom have pushed prices crazy. I’m lucky with my job, so it balances out, but even compared to Copenhagen, this is pricey. Also, it’s hot. 43 degrees yesterday.

STATO
    Free Member

The UK is a bloody brilliant place. Yes the weather is shite but most people are generally pretty decent, it’s often too easy to take for granted what we have here. The grass is seldom greener.

I think a large proportion of people who talk about emigrating would do well to try living in another part of the UK, its pretty varied if your willing to move somewhere further than the next town (which is what most people get stuck in the rut of… me included).

kaiserwood
    Free Member

Its funny how these emigration discussions always focus on the other side of the World (language I guess)

I have lived in Germany before and have now been in N.Italy for the last 6 years. I love the UK but the Alps, food and weather will keep me here.

I think more UK people who consider emigrating should think about Europe, it is possible to learn a language if you are prepared for a tough first year. I spoke languages before but my English mates here moved for the riding initially but learn’t the language over time and will never leave now…

john_drummer
    Free Member

it’s always been there. How do you think all the people of European descent got to North America, for one? That’s been happening since about 1492 IIRC. And then there were the Normans who came to England in 1066. And the Vikings before them, and the Romans before that…

anyway

my sister & her then husband emigrated to Canada in 1982. They came back for a short while, eldest son was born in Leeds, but by the time he was 1 they were back in Canada.
    She’s still there now so it can’t be that bad. Mrs_D & I went on holiday there for her second wedding, had a fab time; I wouldn’t mind a move to coastal BC, but I don’t think they’d have me now

DrJ

It’s instructive to look at the forums on an expat site like, say, expatica.com – you will find people pissing and moaning about every single aspect of their new country, how everything should be different, mostly like it is back home (you know, the place they left) and excuses about why they don’t just f off back there. My conclusion is that the expat/emigrant experience is just what you make it (profound, eh?) and that if you have a problem you likely won’t escape it by changing country.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve heard endless people talking about upping sticks to Oz, I’m not sure if it’s the weather this time of year or they watch too much Neighbours – almost to a man none of them have actually ever been!

I spend a year in Oz on a working visa, yes it appeals on some levels, but ultimately it’s not a garden of Eden, it’s different to the UK yes, everywhere else is but it’s not better or worse really – I don’t think any 1st world country / city is all that much better or worse really – if you think another country suits you better, then it may well do – but you have to accept that some aspects of it might not.

But people who sit around unhappy thinking that simply moving to somewhere that different or ‘better’ will fix all there problems are dead wrong – your problems will find you wherever you go.

chewkw
    Free Member

I emigrated to GeordieLand 15 years ago to the land of opportunities (still searching), fish and chips (this is a disappointment coz this food is no longer in fashion) and to see bingo wings. All well until I encountered zombie maggot bureaucrats who spoil everything … I am already infected with the zombie maggot virus btw …

I do miss the day (North Borneo) where I could carry a machete (parang) into a nearby forest without being accused of head hunting and the relax nature of people there. However, different kind of zombie maggots exist there to spoil everyone fun i.e. religious type of muslamic denomination and the uncontrollable “muslamic” immigrants from terrorist zones (N. Borneo will be annexed by these people in future where more blood will be spilled machete style). I miss the jungle, forest, insects, tiger leeches, stray dogs or cats, the prostitutes in the pubs (we buy drinks for them but I would Never shag them but my friends do), fast cars local style, food poisoning etc …

Apart from that IMO it is just same shite in a different location … 🙄

NZCol

I suppose though when you think back, when i moved to NZ in 2000 it was 3.8 dollars to the pound, a house could easily be had for 250k (3 bedder, detached, big section, seaview in nice part of wellington). Now its 2 or less to the pound and that house is valued at 475k so not so cheap. I think back then it was driven by more for less (exchange rate driven) which opened up options for jobs and lifestyle. Probably not so much now. But its easy to sit and think it would be nice to live in the sun. Both Oz and NZ are not cheap places to live anymore.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Both Oz and NZ are not cheap places to live anymore.

It’s something that is said a bit now but it’s not something I find. Yes coming from the UK it’s not as cheap and you don’t get to be amazed how cheap things are but earning Au$ and spending Au$ I feel as well off if not a little better off than living in the UK on the same earnings.

NZCol

It’s something that is said a bit now but it’s not something I find. Yes coming from the UK it’s not as cheap and you don’t get to be amazed how cheap things are but earning Au$ and spending Au$ I feel as well off if not a little better off than living in the UK on the same earnings.

That’s exactly what i said, it’s the same, a wee bit more, or a wee bit less but not dramatically cheaper. 15 years ago, coming from the UK, it genuinely was a bargain.

Dickyboy

my sisters & one brother have been in living in Australia, Zambia & France for between 22 & 30 years now*, they have all married locals & they all love it, luckily they are able to return to UK frequently enough to refuel with doses of missed family & culture when they want to, been pretty tough at times though, southern hemisphere ones miss the UK seasons the most & hate the high temps come local summertime.

* it helps that they hate my guts

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Emmigrating – Is it all it's cracked up to be?’ is closed to new replies.