Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 206 total)
  • Emma Thompson: Stuck up cah or what?
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Barnes has indeed got an epic tool.

I wish to contradickt this slander. My tool is entirely unremarkable, however it seems to do the job quite adequately :o)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tootall – wanna kick ‘im while I hold ‘im dahn?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    Where did I say that?

On one hand you claim to be proud of how your environment has influenced your language, and are – for some strange reason – proud of the result, yet you scoff at people whose environment has led them to speak in the style of the musicians they listen to!

The reason nobody takes your opinions seriously is that you don’t have the intelligence to form water-tight opinions based on the big picture. You simply react to details, going off half-cocked with a limited understanding of the subject and as a result, your views are riddled with inconsistencies.

And yes, I’m quite sure you lack any formal education in English language further than GCSE level. Your inability to use “its”, “it’s”, or to maintain a single tense for the duration of a whole sentence are dead give-aways.
    [edit] Reading Eats Shoots and Leaves or Lost for Words doesn’t amount to further education

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Heh!

Rather than actually engage in intelligent discussion, some of you are wound up to the point of launching ad hominem attacks on me. All sadly very predictable.

Which is why, in the abscess of anything more constructive, I shall take my leave of you for now.

Besides I’ve got to take me flippin’ busted bike to the shop for scrutiny.

yet you scoff at people whose environment has led them to speak in the style of the musicians they listen to!

I find it a bit pathetic that some choose merely to mimic others without adding anything themselves; to passively absorb cultural products without considering their own identity also. Hey ho, their choice I suppose. Yet there are many other aspects of youth culture which are very interesting. However, I’m not so blinkered to think that everything I did as a teenager was ‘cool’; a lot of it was bloody silly really. I suspect that most of today’s yute dem will come to realise this for themselves, in the fullness of time.

And yes, I’m quite sure you lack any formal education in English language further than GCSE level.

You’d be right there. It’s a wonder I can reed and rite at al. 🙄

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’ll alert the media.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Fred, you asked me a question in your last post. As you can see, I’ve answered it in detail.

I’d be interested to hear your comments… 🙄

joolsburger
    Free Member

And yes, I’m quite sure you lack any formal education in English language further than GCSE level. Your inability to use “its”, “it’s”, or to maintain a single tense for the duration of a whole sentence are dead give-aways.

That seems a bit harsh and up yourself or is that up ones self? – I could never get to grips with grammar.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Your inability to use “its”, “it’s”

I think this distinction is fatuous snobbery 🙁 Say it out loud – any difference ? Spoken language is the definitive form, written a flawed approximation.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

That seems a bit harsh and up yourself or is that up ones self? – I could never get to grips with grammar.

Merely pointing out how a slip in standards can make written English ambiguous or difficult to understand.

TooTall
    Free Member

al – I’m not touching him. He appears to be some sort of common guttersnipe and beneath us both. Perhaps we could pay another manual labourer to rough him up a little?

ton

someone call for me……. 8)

Junkyard
    Free Member

no you were not you were saying he was thick, that he could not form coherent arguments , keep tense or use it’s and its correctly.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Fred, you asked me a question in your last post. As you can see, I’ve answered it in detail.

I’d be interested to hear your comments…

Quite frankly Adam, you’re more interested in trying to make yourself look clever, butI’ll grant you a response. Because I’m nice like that, you see? 🙂

My initial point, which seems to have eluded several folk on here, was that Ms Thompson suggests that the use of slang is a signifier of low intelligence. Which it isn’t. That’s the snobbishness and narrow-mindedness I was attacking. At no point did I attack her class or background. My comments have been misinterpreted by those wishing to seek argument with me, rather than actually having a think about what I writed. As per bloody usual on here.

Right, I really must love you and leave you all; I have a dinner date with a lovely young middle class lady.

X

Shibboleth
    Free Member

no you were not you were saying he was thick, that he could not form coherent arguments , keep tense or use it’s and its correctly.

And your point is? 🙄

Fred, I think someone must have hacked your account, because I could have sworn I just copied this off your original post:

Granted, some scrote mumbling some inane ‘gangsta’ toss they’ve learned off their (c)Rap albums just sounds daft,

Isn’t ‘daft’ another word for thick or foolish? So, to spell this out to you, on one hand you think people sound thick (daft) if their speach and language has been shaped by listening to urban music, yet you think Miss Thompson is a ‘stuck up cah’, ‘snobbish’ and ‘narrow minded’ for asserting pretty much the same opinion.

I’m lost.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m lost.

Yes, you are.

Bless.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Thought you’d gone to crack one off whilst fantasising about middle class women on a date?

I’m just going to log on Amazon to buy that book: “Rants, Shouts and Leaves” by Padded Fred.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Where’s Mark_Datz when there’s a real need for a comprehensive, beautifully articulated thread closer that renders us all open mouthed and awestruck?

GrahamS

Ms Thompson suggests that the use of slang is a signifier of low intelligence. Which it isn’t.

Emma: “Just don’t do it. Because it makes you sound stupid and you’re not stupid.”

Elfred: “some scrote mumbling some inane ‘gangsta’ toss they’ve learned off their (c)Rap albums just sounds daft

What is the linguistic difference between “low intelligence”, “daft” and “stupid”?

🙄

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Oops, looks like Graham’s lost too! 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

And your point is?
    Lost on you but not on everyone else I assume.
    Should I insult your intelligence now and make rash conclusions about the standard of your educational achievement? Its [sic] the done thing here innit

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Junkyard, I’ve never claimed to be a particularly nice man. 😉

GlitterGary
    Free Member

What is a ‘cah’ anyway?

ton

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

What is a ‘cah’ anyway?

first you have to decide if you’re going to use language as a tool for communication or status. Then the answer becomes clear.

GrahamS

What if, as in Elfs case, status is one of the subtexts that you wish to communicate?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

What if, as in Elfs case, status is one of the subtexts that you wish to communicate?

I don’t think that is the case 🙂

GrahamS

I’m sure, despite his reportedly fragile grasp of peristeronic English, that he actually knows how to spell “cow”. 😀

So presumably he choose to say “cah” to convey (or at least imply) his status as a good, honest, mockney working class type?

(Whereas I wish to convey my middle-class intellectual elitism, hence my casual use of the word “peristeronic”)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

So presumably he choose to say “cah” to convey (or at least imply) his status as a good, honest, mockney working class type?

is that the only possible reason for affecting a different accent ?

GrahamS

is that the only possible reason for affecting a different accent?

No, but as we were discussing, the listener/reader makes judgements based on the words/slang used. I see the spelling “cah”, put that with my knowledge of Elfred’s location, and I hear it in a nice Ray Winston style accent.

If that was his intent, then he was looking to convey status.
    If that was not his intent then it is a nice demonstration of failing to communicate correctly when using slang.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If that was his intent, then he was looking to convey status.

I don’t associate Cockerney with any particular status…

If that was not his intent then it is a nice demonstration of failing to communicate correctly when using slang.

or contrariwise with your comprehension ?

GrahamS

I don’t associate Cockerney with any particular status…

How very PC of you. I wonder if Elf would agree?
    Wikipedia certainly says “[Cockney] refers to working class Londoners, particularly those in the East End.”

However I was using “status” in the more general definition: i.e. “information about a current situation”, rather than just social standing. So by affecting an accent I am saying that he is providing additional subtext to his statement.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m sorry, I don’t speak unemployed.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

So by affecting an accent I am saying that he is providing additional subtext to his statement.

I wonder what that means ?

I’m sorry, I don’t speak unemployed.

wonderful. Given the current situation that’s a large chunk of the population beyond the pale 🙁 I think it’s saddening that people should be so defined by something many hate!

GrahamS

I wonder what that means ?

🙄

Not sure which bit is hard: by choosing to affect a particular accent, Elf is (in my opinion) communicating additional information that is not discernible from the meaning of his words alone.

Hence, why in considering your statement..

first you have to decide if you’re going to use language as a tool for communication or status. Then the answer becomes clear.

..I concluded that Elf intended communication of meaning and status.

Clear?

Now perhaps you could expand on how his choice of vernacular influenced your own understanding?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Now perhaps you could expand on how his choice of vernacular influenced your own understanding?

I assigned no particular significance to it, other than humour

RealMan
    Free Member

Do any of you actually read what you write before you click “send post”???

GrahamS

I assigned no particular significance to it, other than humour

So it communicated nothing, but somehow made it funny? Interesting. 🙄

Do any of you actually read what you write before you click “send post”???

I don’t even read what I write when I’m writing it. I just open my brain and let the words fall out.

BigJohn

Is it too late to ask for a threesome with the delightful Miss Thompson and the fragrant Eddi Reader?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

(Whereas I wish to convey my middle-class intellectual elitism, hence my casual use of the word “peristeronic”)

Does your elite intellect know the differenece between ‘pidgin’ and a ‘pigeon’? 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 206 total)

The topic ‘Emma Thompson: Stuck up cah or what?’ is closed to new replies.