Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 206 total)
  • Emma Thompson: Stuck up cah or what?
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11420737

I really can’t stand this woman. Never have done. Behind a fairly valid point about the erosion of certain aspects of our language, is a sneering resentment towards others. Narrow-minded insular cah.

Growing up in the East End, I’ve found slang fascinating, in it’s origins and meanings. I use a plethora of slang terms in my daily language, regardless of who I speak to. It’s what I’ve grown up with. I’m a product of my environment.

Granted, some scrote mumbling some inane ‘gangsta’ toss they’ve learned off their (c)Rap albums just sounds daft, but Ms Thompson fundamentally misses the point that a language evolves with and is shaped by the people that use it.

Or maybe we should all use received pronunciation like her, eh?

Stuck up poncy cah…

theotherjonv

I like the bit at the end of Nanny McPhee where she turns fit and then buggers off.

‘When you need me but do not want me, then I must stay. When you want me but no longer need me, then I have to go’

rkk01
    Free Member

She is absolutely right, especially this bit…

“There is the necessity to have two languages – one that you use with your mates and the other that you need in any official capacity.”

The number of graduates that are unable to use their own native language properly is truly depressing (especially in written form)

hels
    Free Member

I don’t know, I think she is just a bit media unsavvy. She probably spoke to the lazy and ignorant journalist for a good two hours, said that offhand at the end of the interview, and this is what she got for it.

There are more direct quotes from a pundit in that interview than there are from Emma Thompson.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

like in my opinion middle aged women seem overproportionately keen on grammar and punctuation innit ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

is a sneering resentment towards others

Where?

Sore shoulder? Big chip on it.

May well give you another reason for you to hate her Fred, IMO “propah” English should be taught/used in schools, nothing wrong with slang but what’s education for otherwise?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and the other that you need in any official capacity

nar, just stab em up!

hels
    Free Member

Also, what was that rubbish about plastic surgery – I have changed my opinion, she was clearly drunk at the time, this was an ambush not an interview !

joolsburger
    Free Member

I completely agree with her.

Language does evolve over time but it needn’t mean it has to devolve.

sssimon
    Free Member

She is completely right, I see it everyday, older kids and teenagers who cannot have a conversation with an adult about something that they have an interest in (bikes). Sadly they then resort to putting their parent on the phone and usually it all becomes too apparent why they have turned out this way.

M6TTF
    Free Member

can any southerners speak proper? 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Language does evolve over time but it needn’t mean it has to devolve.

and anyone from 1066 hearing us now would say it had :o)

Like Bill Bryson says “Knight” used to be something like ker-nee-gut-er – explaining the bizarre spelling, so we all mumble the hell out of it now innit ?

molgrips
    Free Member

Language does evolve over time but it needn’t mean it has to devolve

Well the question is, what constitutes devolving…? If you’re gonna be pedantic (or just use language properly) then devolving English would mean we’d end up talking like Chaucer eventually.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

eenagers who cannot have a conversation with an adult about something

but why would they want to? You are history.

thepurist

can any southerners speak proper?

Can any Northerners write correctly?

😀

LHS
    Free Member

Couldn’t agree with her more. The demolition of correct articulation of the english language is staggering and something as a country you should be ashamed of. A lot of it is down to poor grammar too so everything is either “like” or “basically”.

The media does not really help with tmainstream DJ’s Chris Moyles and Scott Mills having some of the most dire grammar and pronunciation out there.

Campaign to save the eloquency of the English language before half the nation speaks like that t**t from NDubz

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and usually it all becomes too apparent why they have turned out this way.

children get their language from other children, not their parents 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

Granted, some scrote mumbling some inane ‘gangsta’ toss they’ve learned off their (c)Rap albums just sounds daft, but Ms Thompson fundamentally misses the point that a language evolves with and is shaped by the people that use it.

I think there’s two points, yes language evolves people who don’t accept this are silly, or possibly stuck up cahs. But there’s a second issue that a lot of the yoof that I see at work, have a limited vocabulary which causes them problems interacting with the world at large. This I think is the worrying bit, not the slang per se.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Sore shoulder? Big chip on it.

You think? Why would you think that?

I consider myself lucky that I can adapt my language to fit different situations and people; over time I’ve learned all sorts of colloquialisms and slang terms, that help me communicate more comfortably with the people around me. I mix with all sorts, from proper posh to proper scum. I don’t discriminate. I can easily adapt my vernacular to suit whatever situation I find myself in.

Chip? Don’t think so mate.

“I told them, ‘Just don’t do it. Because it makes you sound stupid and you’re not stupid.”‘

Why would slang necessarily make someone sound stupid? Some of the most intelligent people I know use slang. Thompsons comments smacks of prejudice. Exposes her as narrow-minded, and in fact somewhat ignorant.

IMO “propah” English should be taught/used in schools, nothing wrong with slang but what’s education for otherwise?

Who says it isn’t?

The only ‘chip on shoulder’ here is on Thompson, because she’s never been able to be down with the cool kids. That’s what this is about really.

Stuck up snobby cah.

English is a bastardisation of several other languages. Language is not something that should be set in stone, but be fluid, and subject to cultural evolution.

Innit?

vinnyeh

I’m not sure I agree with her – nowadays pronunciation, choice of words and accent are the only way we have of differentiating between social backgrounds and classes.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and something as a country you should be ashamed of.

and I’m sure people have been saying this endlessly since we formulated grunts, however, language always serves its exact purpose of communicating with those we actually wish to communicate with, while ideally also excluding the rest!

LHS
    Free Member

serves its exact purpose of communicating with those we actually wish to communicate with

And now the country is just getting lazy.

Edit:

and I’m sure people have been saying this endlessly since we formulated grunts

So why do people think it is acceptable to regress?

amplebrew

She’s quite keen at getting her thoughts and ideas across Stoning

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Define ‘Lazy’.

Da yute dem are forever coming up with new words and phrases. Not all of it too great, but I love the way words from other languages enter into common parlance.

I’m off to get meself a pukka cup of cha. Anyone want owt?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

And now the country is just getting lazy.

I wonder if that means anything at all ?

LHS
    Free Member

Lazy by not pronouncing words properly

init instead of isn’t it it
    Z’s on the end of everything
    That annoying thing scott mills does where instead of saying I am from London, he says i am off of london – just awful.

A lot of kids sound like they have speach impedaments nowadays with the lazy pronunciation of Rs and H’s.

Slang words are fine, they have always existed and always will.

Its the sloppieness with the day to day stuff which is ugly.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

the funniest thing about this is that no one can do anything about it. You can stand on the beach and try to command the waves like Canute (actually “Knut”) but the flow of the tide will continue unabated :o)

anonymouse
    Free Member

I consider myself lucky that I can adapt my language to fit different situations and people; over time I’ve learned all sorts of colloquialisms and slang terms, that help me communicate more comfortably with the people around me. I mix with all sorts, from proper posh to proper scum. I don’t discriminate. I can easily adapt my vernacular to suit whatever situation I find myself in

Isn’t that exactly Ms Thompson’s point. People need to be able to discern when it’s appropriate to use more relaxed language and when some degree of formality is needed. What’s appropriate in a chat with your mates is probably not going to impress at a job interview (and vice versa). She isn’t arguing that all language should be formal, but that a part of education is learning when and where to use different forms of speech.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

The Tall Guy – ever seen it? Very funny sex scene & her babylons are out, or am I not allowed to use the word babylons?

I would have then, not so sure about now

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Its the sloppieness with the day to day stuff which is ugly.

your ugly elision is tomorrow’s stylish lilt 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Totally agree with her.

children get their language from other children, not their parents

Rubbish. I grew up in a rough-ish neighbourhood with a very strong northern accent and very poor use of English. Most people from the area think I’m from “down south somewhere”, despite having lived there for 27 years. Both my parents are local (scouse) but made the effort to teach me to speak with less of an accent as it DOES change the way people think of you, rightly or wrongly.

LHS
    Free Member

your ugly elision is tomorrow’s stylish lil

If you think that speaking like that guy from NDubz is stylish then indeed we are very different people, and also have very different views on how words should be spoken.

hugorune

So what exactly did she say that was ‘stuck up’? she is absolutely right.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

People need to be able to discern when it’s appropriate to use more relaxed language and when some degree of formality is needed.

people are acutely aware of the contextualisation of language and modulate it on a person-by-person basis, however the young may rightly reflect back the contempt in which they are held in this way

GrahamS

Why would slang necessarily make someone sound stupid? Some of the most intelligent people I know use slang.

There is a big difference between someone who can[/I] use slang and someone who can only use slang!

The “intelligent people” that you know can doubtlessly express themselves perfectly well. Whereas most teenagers seem to run out of adjectives after their first sentence and fill in the rest with hyperbole, “like”, “innit”, and poorly deployed swearing. Random.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If you think that speaking like that guy from NDubz is stylish then indeed we are very different people

I don’t care how they speak, and they’re not speaking to me. My personal opinion of their speech patterns counts for nothing and has zero influence on how they speak. They are not going to waste a second wondering “How will the crusties hear this?”

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Like ALL the words we have now were once slang innit. Try etymology and you’ll see 🙂

joolsburger
    Free Member

I got the impression that her main point was a lack of coherent speech leads people to think you’re dim. I agree, it does.

There is a world of difference between a regional accent or some local colour to your speech and a limited vocabulary born from ignorance.

Not only do the vast majority of British people struggle with a foreign language now it seems we have problems with English.

I wouldn’t employ anyone who couldn’t speak proper like.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

now it seems we have problems with English.

Uh, don’t you mean you have ??

BigJohn

Knut didn’t try to stop the tide – he was demonstrating that he couldn’t. But never mind, the myth is always more important than the fact (that’s not me being arsey, BTW, that’s what I think).

I think she was saying kids should be more like Kevin & Perry, having one argot between themselves but talking proper, like, when addressing others.

And why, amongst the young, is it considered OK to be skilled in handling a bike (for example), but not cool to have language skills?

I too count the Tall Guy as one of my favourite films.

Try etymology and you’ll see

What have insects got to do with it? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 206 total)

The topic ‘Emma Thompson: Stuck up cah or what?’ is closed to new replies.