Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Emigration to the EU post referendum pre-exit?
  • andyl
    Free Member

Anyone got a clue what happens there?

Obviously when we leave it will be the same as currently emigrating to any non-EU country but what happens over the next 2 years?

(not a knee-jerk reaction, was always our plan to move to France)

andytherocketeer

still in the EU, business as usual for now.
    after that, depends what someone can negotiate.

cchris2lou

Hopefully will stay the same
    Hoping to move to France next April.

richc
    Free Member

It won’t stay the same that’s for sure, but as Andy says it will depend on what’s negotiated.

I would google economic migrant moving to EU as a starting point.

DrJ

Obviously when we leave it will be the same as currently emigrating to any non-EU country but what happens over the next 2 years?

Nobody knows. I posted a link yesterday to an expert* on this area of law and basically she said that all the assurances (Treaty of Vienna etc) that have been given are blx and anything can happen.

* yes, yes, I know – we shouldn’t listen to experts

jerseychaz

We are on the cusp of moving to France! Just waiting to exchange contracts on the sale here in England. Haven’t committed to buying anywhere yet but the drop to 1.24 Euro is a bit of a tough one to swallow. My concerns are where the exchange rate goes in the next 5 years and arrangements for health care & pensions. Question in the house right now is should we abort the sale and hold on or just get on with it?

Daffy

My application for a job in Germany was sent this morning.

spekkie
    Free Member

We were given residence in Spain back in March and we own our property and the land it’s on outright.

I can’t imagine Spain suddenly trying to deport all the Brits . . . . .

cchris2lou

I’m French and own a house so not too worried. If it wasn’t for my kids ( school) , I could move tomorrow.

DrJ

I can’t imagine Spain suddenly trying to deport all the Brits . . . . .

No, but they may change the taxation on property owned by foreigners, to give just one example. Maybe it’s not in accord with their current best interests, but in the future, who knows? France tried to do it already, and Denmark have restrictions on what property foreigners can own, so it’s not just hypothetical.

spekkie
    Free Member

The cost of living is so cheap in Spain, a bit more tax won’t hurt 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

I posted a link yesterday to an expert* on this area of law

We have had enough of experts. 🙄

First guess would be to look at conditions for moving to France from non EU.

andyl
    Free Member

^ so basically no one knows.

I have a fair few French, Dutch and German friends working in the UK since being here for Uni and I am under the impression they will be fine (if they want to stay). But it’s what happens from now until the Section 50 or from now until exit day that is the mystery.

I guess Jerseychaz above will be the STW guinea pig. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Emigration to the EU post referendum pre-exit?’ is closed to new replies.