Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • emergency vehicles in traffic jams
  • Pook

illegal to follow one? I’ve just seen a dick in a bentley continental do it on the a38

Stoner
    Free Member

Sorry about that. Was in a rush to get to Tewkesbury.

Pook

why are you driving towards alfreton then?

johndoh
    Free Member

😆

Stoner
    Free Member

Dont tell me there’s another aresole in a Bentley?

brakes
    Free Member

perhaps they were related to the person in the ambulance? perhaps it was a Doctor – they all drive Bentleys these days don’t they?

Pook

it was a fire engine – crash has just happened. I’ve seen about 8 police cars, 2 fire engines and 4 ambulances go past. I’m currently parked on the central reservation.

Stoner
    Free Member

it was a fire engine

Lawyer then?

khani
    Free Member

Lawyer then

😀

bruneep

I have reported drivers to the police for this, not sure what the outcome was tho.

phil.w
    Free Member

not sure what the outcome was tho.

Nothing I’d imagine.

It would often be easy to follow an emergency vehicle down a motorway or A road without actually breaking any road laws.

patriotpro
    Free Member

illegal to follow one?

Pass but I don’t see how it is as long as you’re not breaking any other laws such as speeding, going through red lights n stuff.

johndoh
    Free Member

Can’t see how you could be breaking a law just by following an emergency vehicle – after all, haven’t we all pulled in to let one by then pull back out again once they have passed? Then we are doing the same thing ‘technically’.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve done it more then once on the motorbike. In fact once I had to restrain myself to stay behind! I thought it was just polite and sensible to follow rather than pass… But he was in my way… 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

I think the op means when you follow it through all the traffic that has pulled over to allow its passage.My mate did it once and got pulled by a cop directing traffic

klumpy
    Free Member

Well, there’s hanging 6 feet off the vehicle’s bumper and screaming along in their wake.

Then there’s arriving at a line of traffic all scrunched into the inside lane, continuing past, and realising you’re catching up to some blue lights.

Then there’s everything in between.

sas
    Free Member

illegal to follow one?

This is quite an old blog, but apparently if you’re tailgating it counts as impeding an emergency vehicle since they have to slow down to make sure there’s a safe braking gap behind them:
    http://www.tomreynolds.net/?p=1399

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think the op means when you follow it through all the traffic that has pulled over to allow its passage.

Yep, exactly that. It was rude not to. I would have been filtering anyway, so it doesn’t really count 🙂

Pook

this guy was on the bumper of the engine as all the queuing traffic was up on the verges.

And he was stopped. Being talked to sternly by an officer when I went past.

richmtb

I followed an ambulance on the way to Inners one day.

I let it passed just as I was leaving Peebles and then just followed it.

It was only doing about seventy down the straights so I could easily keep up and once we got the twistier section just before Inners it was holding me up a fair bit.

Other traffic moved out its way and I just stayed behind the ambulance.

I didn’t really see an issue with this – they were moving out the way to let the ambulance passed anyway. If the ambulance hadn’t been in front of me I would have just overtaken the slower traffic anyway.

Exact same thing happened with another ambulance on the way home from Fort Bill, I let it passed just as I left Glencoe village and then just followed it all the way to Bridge of Orchy – he was going a bit quicker but there were more corners through Glencoe for me to catch back up.

Blatantly speeding to keep up is obviously breaking the law. Following an emergency vehicle that travelling around the speed limit I can’t see the problem.

Other than jealousy of course which tends to be the main emotion that’s involved in road disputes

EDIT – Although neither of these involved traffic jams – rather quiet NSL A roads

patriotpro
    Free Member

queuing traffic was up on the verges.

This changes it for me, if he’s blasting past as others are waiting to pull back out then to me that’s dangerous driving.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Its a bit cheeky, but it doesnt half speed up your journey. Had the good fortune to be able to do this into Glasgow years ago, it was like moses parting the sea. 😆
    Not sure I’d try nowadays though.
    I did have to get to hospital quickly once as dad got carted off in an ambulance with mother accompanying him. Said I’ll take the car and see you there, I got there 5 mins before the ambulance did. 😳

br
    Free Member

Cheeky and you need to be careful that the drivers who move over don’t just pull straight back on. Done it many times, but only on a M/C. And you need to be careful at traffic lights.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

this guy was on the bumper of the engine as all the queuing traffic was up on the verges.

Nahh, I wouldn’t even joke about that. Obviously a cock.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Other traffic moved out its way and I just stayed behind the ambulance.

I didn’t really see an issue with this – they were moving out the way to let the ambulance passed anyway. If the ambulance hadn’t been in front of me I would have just overtaken the slower traffic anyway.

Dunno if it’s against the law, but certainly not being courteous to those who have also moved out the way to let an emergency vehicle by, would there be owt wrong with letting them back in?

onehundredthidiot

richmtb:

It was only doing about seventy down the straights so I could easily keep up (EDIT) Blatantly speeding to keep up is obviously breaking the law.

Mmmmmm??

nealglover
    Free Member

it was a fire engine – crash has just happened. I’ve seen about 8 police cars, 2 fire engines and 4 ambulances go past. I’m currently parked on the central reservation.

Is it not illegal to use your Phone/Laptop/iPad/tablet while in a car on the road, even when waiting in traffic ? 🙂

(Unless when you said “I’m Currently Parked” you mean “We” and you are not the driver ?)

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Was told definitely not to do this by a Paramedic when Mrs Cat went into Sheff in an ambulance with lights and sirens on. He may have figured I was a little shocked/panicking about his patient so not likely to be 100% focused. As it was the roads were so choked and he slowed down for every pothole we were able to keep up.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

This is quite an old blog, but apparently if you’re tailgating it counts as impeding an emergency vehicle since they have to slow down to make sure there’s a safe braking gap behind them:

How does their speed affect the gap between them and the following vehicle? Surely if it’s yer average knobber that thinks a 6 ft gap is good at NSL, then slowing down to (e.g) 30mph will see them drop that gap to a still very unsafe 3ft?

v8ninety

Driving ambulances, this is a pet hate of mine. its dangerous and inconsiderate. I’ve had an expectant dad do exactly this, even though he was explicitly asked not to. Ah well, I’m sure he’ll never have to check his license to remember the date he got the three points when we took the route with the active speed camera…

v8ninety

then slowing down to (e.g) 30mph will see them drop that gap to a still very unsafe 3ft?

Yep, and at that point I’d come off blues and cease claiming exemptions, whilst passing the number plate and location to the old bill. Actually seen the tug happen a couple of times, very satisfying.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Driving ambulances, this is a pet hate of mine. its dangerous and inconsiderate. I’ve had an expectant dad do exactly this, even though he was explicitly asked not to. Ah well, I’m sure he’ll never have to check his license to remember the date he got the three points when we took the route with the active speed camera…

Gotta LOL at that though! 😆

konabunny
    Free Member

Woulda thought its pretty dangerous esp for a motorbike. Everyone’s going to be looking at the flashing loud shiny thing that just passed, not the minnow in its wake.

crankbreaker

Was the Bentley being driven by this man?!

simmy
    Free Member

Wonder if anyone can confirm, but aren’t Fire Engines limited to 60 mph ?

I remember a while ago doing 70 mph on the Motorway and catching one up that was on blues and it felt awkward to pass it, even though I wasn’t speeding.

I chickened out and reduced my speed to stay behind it, but just wondered if anyone knows if its illegal to overtake a emergency vehicle in these circumstances when you can go faster than it without breaking the speed limit ?

kilo

Woulda thought its pretty dangerous esp for a motorbike. Everyone’s going to be looking at the flashing loud shiny thing that just passed, not the minnow in its wake.

This, when running in convoy, all with lights and sirens going, you quite often get people who pull out after the first car goes through not noticing the following car(s)

v8ninety

Exactly. And the only way of minimising that particular risk is to tailgate the emergency vehicle, which brings its own risks. Like the knobber in a Ka who walloped straight into the back of an ambulance in my area the other day, before driving off without stopping…

v8ninety

Wonder if anyone can confirm, but aren’t Fire Engines limited to 60 mph ?

not limited, but some are pitifully slow, as are some ambulances. I’ve turned blues of out of sheer pointlessness on more than one occasion on uphill dual carriageway sections (Some are scarily fast, mind 😯 )

althepal

Have followed behind the cops as they’ve went ahead to clear a path for us through traffic but tbh a lot of folk see the first vehicle go through and usually don’t check to see if there’s another following- same would go for anyone trying to be cheeky and do the same, only they won’t have lights and horns so the risk is higher?
    Have seem the motorbike cops doing their rollong roadblock thing when there’s a few of them going ahead and stopping traffic at junctions to let us straight through. Amazing to watch close up and very scary at the same time. Fair play to them!

sbob
    Free Member

TuckerUK – Member

How does their speed affect the gap between them and the following vehicle? Surely if it’s yer average knobber that thinks a 6 ft gap is good at NSL, then slowing down to (e.g) 30mph will see them drop that gap to a still very unsafe 3ft?

If you are tailgated, the only course of action is to gently reduce speed so that you both can stop in the distance you can see is (and reasonably expect to remain) clear ahead of you.
    If the tailgater reduces the gap, keep reducing your speed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘emergency vehicles in traffic jams’ is closed to new replies.